Confirmed with Link: Clayton Keller, Coyotes agree on 8-year, $7.15M AAV extension

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Contracts already look better given what’s happening in the marketplace. This despite the two players in question having essentially lost seasons.
No they don't. One guy missed most of the year and the other played over half on 2nd 3rd line minutes. You can't claim success without growth. Both can rebound byt that's why I said no wins yet.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No they don't. One guy missed most of the year and the other played over half on 2nd 3rd line minutes. You can't claim success without growth. Both can rebound byt that's why I said no wins yet.
Not claiming success. The market has risen since they signed. Yes we lost a year. They play again this year and we will have a clearer picture where they are at and if they are overpaid in October.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
With the RFAs sitting out months over the right to get shorter term and less dollars, telling Keller "we have faith in you. Look at all this millions. They say we have faith in you " is just how to do it.

Let's hope Keller not peaked as a rookie now. :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not claiming success. The market has risen since they signed. Yes we lost a year. They play again this year and we will have a clearer picture where they are at and if they are overpaid in October.
That was my point. 4 or 5 deals and no success yet. Win 2 and it's fine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To be frank Keller is not as good as those RFA's. That could change but as an example in a poopy year Laine had almost as many goals as Keller points. Not one of those players would we ever refuse a straight up trade for Keller.
I didn't say he was, but I bet they will end up getting much more with a shorter contract than Keller. Let's see what happens when the smoke clears.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I didn't say he was, but I bet they will end up getting much more with a shorter contract than Keller. Let's see what happens when the smoke clears.
They should, most had 40 plus points more than Keller last year and some had 30 plus more than his best year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Let's put it this way - anyone who thought it was a mistake to cut bait with Domi should not be upset whatsoever at this deal.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Something to consider....Kevin Hayes just signed for about this amount, is six years older, and never produced as many points in his CAREER as Keller did as a 19 year old rookie. Last year was a learning experience for him and let’s face it, call it an excuse or whatever you want, but almost every other talented player on the team was hurt at some point for a long stretch. Makes it difficult to put up huge numbers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They should, most had 40 plus points more than Keller last year and some had 30 plus more than his best year.
Tkachuk had 30, Laine 3 and Connor 19, so you are wrong. You also have to look at the supporting cast they have playing with them. It's not as cut and dry as you seem to think.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There's a quote floating around where Chayka says he's not interested in paying for past performance. Stark because at one point Don Maloney said the opposite.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Tkachuk had 30, Laine 3 and Connor 19, so you are wrong. You also have to look at the supporting cast they have playing with them. It's not as cut and dry as you seem to think.
So how about Aho, Rantanan, Point, Marner, and Tkachuk? You pay your top guys to drive points not benefit from them. And Laine will be paid for goals.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There's a quote floating around where Chayka says he's not interested in paying for past performance. Stark because at one point Don Maloney said the opposite.
I think most GM's thought that way, and probably most fans as well, me included. Things have really changed the last couple of years because of the success at such an early age.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think most GM's thought that way, and probably most fans as well, me included. Things have really changed the last couple of years because of the success at such an early age.
It's a fine line. I suspect that thought will be less embraced when one of these flop. Hopefully It's not one of ours.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think that this may also represent the "new normal" for the NHL. GMs were getting hamstrung by some bad contracts, along with some good contracts that are well deserved.

For some of the players under the age of 25, this may have meant consistent bridge deals until they have a breakout season or two. Then, a GM really has some tough decisions because the player has outplayed at least 2 years on their prior deals and the comparisons for a GM, agent, and player occur on a reset market value (kind of like the NFL where Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz reset the QB deals).

We are basically saying that we will pay you for a lot of your prime years between the ages of 23 and 28, as opposed to paying you for prime years from 25 to 28, and then if your deal takes you into your 30s, you may be topping out your salary with years that may not be as productive. Would most people agree that around age 30-32 is where the sticking point is for NHL players and when the decline starts to happen? To me, even though one can argue that the value is paying for what they will become and not what they are, that's the unique thing about sports. For the most part, you expect appreciation for a bit of time before the asset depreciates. It's not buying a car, rather knowing that the asset should get better over time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

This is primarily a bet against the market. It's no different than, say, signing a lengthy cost fixed lease during a recession so that by the time things get going again you're paying well below market value. We just don't see it a lot in the NHL because teams are not hip to it. It goes agains the old boys club mentality. It's percieved as risky when it's really not, given how salaries contiuously rise.

Chayka isn't interested in paying market value for anything if it can be avoided. This is his 4th deal in this style. You can bet that if Soderstrom or Hayton has a good but not great season they'll shake some moneybags at their agents and see if they bite on a big pile of guarenteed money. Most players do, because $56 million in hand is better than risking it all for maybe $20m more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So how about Aho, Rantanan, Point, Marner, and Tkachuk? You pay your top guys to drive points not benefit from them. And Laine will be paid for goals.
They will be paid more than Keller, much more. They ALL have a much better supporting cast than Keller. Do you really think your boy Marner would have had 94 pts. without Tavares?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's a fine line. I suspect that thought will be less embraced when one of these flop. Hopefully It's not one of ours.
Of course there are going to be flops, same as when they signed these 27-28 yo's to eight year contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad