Confirmed with Link: Clayton Keller, Coyotes agree on 8-year, $7.15M AAV extension

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
With the number of RFA's wanting five years, this is a good deal. Chayka bypassed any potential RFA to UFA negotiation and signed the kid to max term.

If he gets back to his 60+ point days, this is a steal. Having a player like Kessel should help him. He's also took less than the 8 mil I thought it would take to get him signed. He's keeping the Coyotes future cap minimal to bring Auston home. What a stud.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'll say this much - if the team succeeds with this group, they'll have a core they can build and market around for the better part of a decade. That'll be great for business.

Of course, if the team falls flat on its face, we're stuck with a bunch of contracts we won't be able to get rid of for the better part of a decade.

Riverboat gambler.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It is nerve wracking but he doesn't have any real losses yet either. This will be a very telling season on his ability to manage a team.
In fairness if you hit on 2, miss on 1, and break even on the 4th it's still a major win long term.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hell of a gamble, though.

Not really, if you look at what other top 6 players are getting. What are the odds Keller becomes worth significantly less than $7m two years from now? four? six?

Smart deal. And not nearly the gamble traditional thinking makes it out to be.

Reactions: CLW and Jakey53

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Contract is comparable to Anders Lee (7 x $7) and William Nylander (6 x 6.95). My first thought is that its better than both. Keller is better than Lee right now and is 7 years younger. Nylander is better than Keller now but is 2 years older and plays with Auston Matthews.

It's another calculated gamble, but initially I'm liking it a lot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not really, if you look at what other top 6 players are getting. What are the odds Keller becomes worth significantly less than $7m two years from now? four? six?

Smart deal. And not nearly the gamble traditional thinking makes it out to be.
Show me the comparables that point to $7 million long term. It certainly is a gamble. Very easy to see why the high end RFA's aren't signed.

Reactions: Omark

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Contract is comparable to Anders Lee (7 x $7) and William Nylander (6 x 6.95). My first thought is that its better than both. Keller is better than Lee right now and is 7 years younger. Nylander is better than Keller now but is 2 years older and plays with Auston Matthews.

It's another calculated gamble, but initially I'm liking it a lot.
Funny that you mention Nylander. As a fan of both teams I hated the Nylander deal, it looks a lot better now.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Not so much the amount but the term. Actually, not anything really with the numbers in general, but this is a sign of buy in by players wanting to be here and stay here. This, in itself is a huge win in my book. I don’t think this could have been said in years past.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In Chayka I trust. This is huge. Look at what’s happening with all these RFA’s after they just blew up...JC just avoided all of that.

There is a dip in market value where risk is percived to be highest. Usually after an injury or inconistent season, but the player still has gobs of upside and you can sign them at basically market rate because you are putting so much guarenteed money on the table.

If Keller goes out and has a strong year, he can ask for at least $2m more per AAV. It's possible in year4 of this deal he could command somewhere near double what he is being paid on the open market.

This is the one area where I feel Chayka is really being smart, ballsy, and playing to the strengths of the team.

Reactions: Grimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->