OT: Claude Noel "exploring opportunities"

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Except he failed in Columbus and when Maurice took over the Jets, Maurice had a better record with the same core. So ya he's not an NHL coach.

No. He's wasn't as good a coach as Paul Maurice is. He almost certainly still isn't as good a coach as Paul Maurice is, and he might never be as good a coach as Paul Maurice is.

You know who else wasn't as good a coach as Paul Maurice is? Paul Maurice, the first couple of times he head coached! For goodness sake, even the Leafs fired him, and how bad do you have to be that even the Leafs will fire you?!

It's process. You get better with every try. Some get another chance, many don't. I don't know of Noel will ever get another crack at it, but I see no reason why he doesn't deserve it, if somebody wants to hire him.

seasontixholder*

No. He's wasn't as good a coach as Paul Maurice is. He almost certainly still isn't as good a coach as Paul Maurice is, and he might never be as good a coach as Paul Maurice is.

You know who else wasn't as good a coach as Paul Maurice is? Paul Maurice, the first couple of times he head coached! For goodness sake, even the Leafs fired him, and how bad do you have to be that even the Leafs will fire you?!

It's process. You get better with every try. Some get another chance, many don't. I don't know of Noel will ever get another crack at it, but I see no reason why he doesn't deserve it, if somebody wants to hire him.

I understand what you are saying but watching Noel over the years, a lot of people noticed that Noel never could adjust during a game. A good coach can do that, and Noel couldn't seem to do it.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yeah its true, Noel really didn't have a chance with the line-up he had. I mean the team we are currently icing still isn't quite deep enough and yet its way deeper than what Noel had to work with...

Well, the team is arguably quite a bit better now after the Buffalo blockbuster, but I disagree that Noel had much less of a chance than Maurice did. Others have compared their records with the same roster in 2013-2014 and I'd argue that up until the Buffalo trade and the trade deadline deals, the team was not significantly different from last season to this:

Out - Jokinen, Setoguchi, Wright, Montoya
In - Perrault, Lowry, Hutchinson

Granted, Lowry and Perrault are definite upgrades over Jokinen and Setoguchi, but these are not huge differences to the roster. More than 3/4 of the roster was intact. Yes Maurice has had them in a playoff position since Thanksgiving, whereas they were never in a playoff spot all last season as far as I remember. So I think this is one of those occasions where you can say that Noel and Maurice had basically the same opportunity and Maurice proved he's the better coach.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Well, the team is arguably quite a bit better now after the Buffalo blockbuster, but I disagree that Noel had much less of a chance than Maurice did. Others have compared their records with the same roster in 2013-2014 and I'd argue that up until the Buffalo trade and the trade deadline deals, the team was not significantly different from last season to this:

Granted, Lowry and Perrault are definite upgrades over Jokinen and Setoguchi, but these are not huge differences to the roster. More than 3/4 of the roster was intact. Yes Maurice has had them in a playoff position since Thanksgiving, whereas they were never in a playoff spot all last season as far as I remember. So I think this is one of those occasions where you can say that Noel and Maurice had basically the same opportunity and Maurice proved he's the better coach.

Maurice's message was probably more clearly stated and consistent than Noel's. Plus I think the players were/are more prepared to take in his lessons as they respect his thousand NHL games more than Noel's handful.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Noel seemed to insist on a north-south chip-n-chase game, and that doesn't exploit players' talent as much as it could.

Yep. And Maurice doesn't eschew the chip and chase, but does seem to give preference to carrying the puck with possession, rather than placing the emphasis on retrieval. I much prefer the look and style of Maurice's system - carry, and if you're stymied, dump and chase.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
D

Yep. And Maurice doesn't eschew the chip and chase, but does seem to give preference to carrying the puck with possession, rather than placing the emphasis on retrieval. I much prefer the look and style of Maurice's system - carry, and if you're stymied, dump and chase.

Plus look at the systems support the D now get. Old Buff vs New Buff on D is day/nite

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Plus look at the systems support the D now get. Old Buff vs New Buff on D is day/nite

Yes, for sure: max and allan5oh (and others) have pointed it out, but the D have free reign to pinch, and forwards ALWAYS drop back immediately to cover. We still see breakdowns and odd-man rushes, but not nearly as much as under Noel's watch. Our possession has improved as well, as those pinches definitely help maintain o-zone pressure.

mikey d

Oct 13, 2013
Yes, for sure: max and allan5oh (and others) have pointed it out, but the D have free reign to pinch, and forwards ALWAYS drop back immediately to cover. We still see breakdowns and odd-man rushes, but not nearly as much as under Noel's watch. Our possession has improved as well, as those pinches definitely help maintain o-zone pressure.

This is actually a league wide phenomenon this season and last with so many teams now playing a 2-3 press.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. It looked pretty bad at the end but in fairness I think Noel had them overachieving the first 2 years except in goal and he wasn't given much to work with there either.

The Maurice effect we saw last year was a bit of an illusion. It was more a new coach bump than anything. It did show the potential of the roster though, preventing a blow-up. The real Maurice effect began to show in ~ game 6 of this season and has been apparent ever since.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Up until the ASB, Hutch's goaltending alone was ahuge upgrade over any roster Noel had to work with. Even after the ASB as his SV% dropped he kept winning for a while. Then you add Lowry and Perreault it = quite an upgrade.

That doesn't say that Noel was as good a coach as Maurice has been. Not at all but I still say he got pretty good results from what he had in the first 2 years. There were a lot of holes and the goaltending was generally lousy.

Maurice's message was probably more clearly stated and consistent than Noel's. Plus I think the players were/are more prepared to take in his lessons as they respect his thousand NHL games more than Noel's handful.

This for sure. You could see that right from the first game.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This is actually a league wide phenomenon this season and last with so many teams now playing a 2-3 press.

Spot on, Maurice places a high premium on this and it's this team's calling card, along with the imprtance of the D to maintain their gaps, especially at their blue line. It suits this team's talent well and was on great display in the 2nd and 3rd periods against the Habs.

Noel could never figure out what this team did well and lead them down that path.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Noel was on the IC show this week and could not help himself from throwing Johnny Oduya under the bus again. He just had to bring up that PizzaPass one more time. Claude, I don't think he could hear you with both ears plugged with Championship rings. This idiot destroyed a pretty good Left D-man's place on this team. What if he stayed and Steward left. He currently is at 14pts and a +15.
Noel also said he prepared 2-3 hours everyday for dealing with the media. HUH? For the lapdogs around here? This seems crazy to me. What if that time was spent on the PP which he also said was pretty much the complete domain of the coaches?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Noel was on the IC show this week and could not help himself from throwing Johnny Oduya under the bus again. He just had to bring up that PizzaPass one more time. Claude, I don't think he could hear you with both ears plugged with Championship rings. This idiot destroyed a pretty good Left D-man's place on this team. What if he stayed and Steward left. He currently is at 14pts and a +15.
Noel also said he prepared 2-3 hours everyday for dealing with the media. HUH? For the lapdogs around here? This seems crazy to me. What if that time was spent on the PP which he also said was pretty much the complete domain of the coaches?

Hmmmmm sorry Claude I call BS on the 2 to 3 hours? Was he being sarcastic Claude?

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012

I heard his interview as well....for all of Noels faults- and there were plenty- one thing is/was for sure- he genuinely loved coaching the Jets and his time in the Peg.

Not sure you can blame the Oduya exit on him- pretty sure Johnny O wanted out of the Peg.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Oduya was a UFA. The alternative was losing him for nothing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As someone who personally serviced his computer once or twice, I can confirm that this is a possibility. He just isn't a very tech savvy guy!

Yea he wasn't really that savvy at coaching either but he was a bit of a clown prince so he had that going for him.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
As someone who personally serviced his computer once or twice, I can confirm that this is a possibility. He just isn't a very tech savvy guy!

Was he running Vista with that too? Still full of bloatware including an out of date version of McAfee that grinds the startup to a halt?

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Was he running Vista with that too? Still full of bloatware including an out of date version of McAfee that grinds the startup to a halt?

I don't remember! I just remember having to install a printer for him, even after I told him you just plug in the printer cable to USB it will automatically download the drivers for it, or use the CD. He said he didn't understand so I should just do it. Haha He did offer me much comedy when I was there! I love the guy.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I heard his interview as well....for all of Noels faults- and there were plenty- one thing is/was for sure- he genuinely loved coaching the Jets and his time in the Peg.

Not sure you can blame the Oduya exit on him- pretty sure Johnny O wanted out of the Peg.

Sure you can. A complete lack of breakout structure. Who does that fall on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad