OT: Claude Noel "exploring opportunities"

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Doesn't surprise me. Cost the Jets 2.5 years of development. Never liked him as the Moose coach either. His head coach tenure is done. He'll be lucky to be a assistant coach in the AHL now. Sorry to be negative but it's the truth.

Not true. Claude did what he could with that roster out of Atlanta. To blame him for their failures is just easy and dismissive. The roster Maurice has is lightyears ahead of what Noel had.

He had to be fired because he lost the room at that time. But I think you can blame Wellwood, mittens, Hainsey & the rest just as easily.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah its true, Noel really didn't have a chance with the line-up he had. I mean the team we are currently icing still isn't quite deep enough and yet its way deeper than what Noel had to work with...

jetdiehard

Jun 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Claude did not have a very competitive team and he took the heat
As Coaches would say: give me a great team and they will make me look awfully good.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Excellent point. Chowing down on a dead animal carcass does wonders to improve one's personality.

That's how you absorb the animal's powers and personality. Ever hear of a "party animal"? Sure. How about a "party vegetable"? No? Case closed.

Noel would certainly be an improvement over most of the guys on the SN panel. I don't think he's that great and I always found his hockey insights to be abstruse - he's almost as much of a bafflegabber as Chevy...still better than listening to Stock or Kypreos.

I don't hate Strombo - but he does have a dead-eyed, souless quality about him...probably just from not getting enough red meat.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Wow! I need to write this down. Haven't found any friend or family in Canada that likes Strombo. :)

I don't like Strombo either. His stilted, stiff body language. He doesn't stray from his script, is always interrupting other speakers, abruptly changing topics with little segue. It's noticeable when he's reading notes or reading off of teleprompters. And the spray-on skinny pants. He's jittery-hipster guy. Not smooth at all.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
That's how you absorb the animal's powers and personality. Ever hear of a "party animal"? Sure. How about a "party vegetable"? No? Case closed.

:laugh: Both very funny, and an excellent argument for cannibalism.

I would very much welcome Noel in a media commentary role.

I'm not a big Strombo fan, but I do give him credit for some pretty decent interviews. But he's definitely in the wrong gig in HNIC.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
:laugh: Both very funny, and an excellent argument for cannibalism.

I would very much welcome Noel in a media commentary role.

I'm not a big Strombo fan, but I do give him credit for some pretty decent interviews. But he's definitely in the wrong gig in HNIC.

Yeah I'm sure Strombo is a nice guy in real life, and skilled and talented. But not for this position.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yeah its true, Noel really didn't have a chance with the line-up he had. I mean the team we are currently icing still isn't quite deep enough and yet its way deeper than what Noel had to work with...

That's not entirely accurate. Just compare Maurice with Noel's record in 2013-14:

Noel: 19-23-5
Maurice: 18-12-5

I liked Maurice as a person, but he was not a very good coach. If Maurice had started the year as coach, we probably would have made the playoffs, considering Dallas had only 91 points, and qualified.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That's not entirely accurate. Just compare Maurice with Noel's record in 2013-14:

Noel: 19-23-5
Maurice: 18-12-5

I liked Maurice as a person, but he was not a very good coach. If Maurice had started the year as coach, we probably would have made the playoffs, considering Dallas had only 91 points, and qualified.

yeah but it was pretty apparent the team had completely bailed on Noel by a certain point last season. Also, while Mo's overall record was good last year, the team had slid back a fair bit by the end after a torrid bump immediately following Mo's arrival.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
yeah but it was pretty apparent the team had completely bailed on Noel by a certain point last season. Also, while Mo's overall record was good last year, the team had slid back a fair bit by the end after a torrid bump immediately following Mo's arrival.

Given our lineup during those years, it's hard to pin too much blame on Noel for his record with the Jets. But the team bailing on Noel is a much clearer black mark on his stint as Jets coach.

Either way, I much prefer what Maurice is doing with the team.

Donald

Jan 31, 2013
On the topic of Noel, I agree that his calling is probably more funny guy on a panel, although I'm skeptical that he would lift the panel's hockey knowledge average.

Please tell me this is a joke. He wasn't successful as an NHL coach here, but surely we can all agree that he likely knows far more about hockey than all of us.

seasontixholder*

Please tell me this is a joke. He wasn't successful as an NHL coach here, but surely we can all agree that he likely knows far more about hockey than all of us.

I don't think he means HF boards. I think he means a TSN type panel. So the op is correct. I don't think Noel knows more than the likes of McKenzie or Dreger.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Cannot argue with this. How was he hired by the Jets when Hitch was available? It raises serious concerns on ownership interference with hockey operation.

Really? First of all Hitch's coaching style didn't fit in with True North's vision. Secondly, serious concerns about ownership involvement? That's what is great about this franchise is TN's involvement! Perhaps you like the Leaf's model better?

seasontixholder*

Really? First of all Hitch's coaching style didn't fit in with True North's vision. Secondly, serious concerns about ownership involvement? That's what is great about this franchise is TN's involvement! Perhaps you like the Leaf's model better?

I have no problems with True North's vision. What I and others have issues with is the fact that Noel was picked as the coach by the owner and not the GM. Noel was not Chevy's coach. Now it seems Maurice was. Example: Jerry Jones sticks his nose too much in the football operations in Dallas. Chipman should never become a Jones.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I have no problems with True North's vision. What I and others have issues with is the fact that Noel was picked as the coach by the owner and not the GM. Noel was not Chevy's coach. Now it seems Maurice was. Example: Jerry Jones sticks his nose too much in the football operations in Dallas. Chipman should never become a Jones.

I don't think comparing Chipman to Jerry Jomes is fair. Jerry Jones is an idiot and has a negative affect. Chipman on the other had is quite an estute hockey man. To go as far as saying that the one decision that we know of that Chipman played a major role in "raises serious concerns" is a bit misguided to say the least. After all it is HIS money that he has on the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad