OT: Claude Noel "exploring opportunities"

seasontixholder*

I don't think comparing Chipman to Jerry Jomes is fair. Jerry Jones is an idiot and has a negative affect. Chipman on the other had is quite an estute hockey man. To go as far as saying that the one decision that we know of that Chipman played a major role in "raises serious concerns" is a bit misguided to say the least. After all it is HIS money that he has on the line.

I'm not saying he is Jerry Jones but owners hire GM's for a reason. HIS money or not, he should be worrying about the finances and Chevy should be worrying about the on ice product. Chipman wanted to take care of his own with Noel and it failed miserably. I hope he learned from that bad mistake.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I'm not saying he is Jerry Jones but owners hire GM's for a reason. HIS money or not, he should be worrying about the finances and Chevy should be worrying about the on ice product. Chipman wanted to take care of his own with Noel and it failed miserably. I hope he learned from that bad mistake.

Well you're comparimg him to Jerry Jones nonetheless. Don't forget he leaned on Zinger's advice since here was no GM yet. From experience I can tell you that sometimes "taking care of your own" will pay large dividends In the future. How many people were calling for Chevy's head and instead he signed him to an extension? I completely disagree that "failed miserably" and I am no fan of Noel. I applaude his loyalty to the people that helped him attain his goal. I don't think he's blinded by that one but but does give it some weight as it very well should! Bravo Mr. Chipman!

seasontixholder*

Well you're comparimg him to Jerry Jones nonetheless. Don't forget he leaned on Zinger's advice since here was no GM yet. From experience I can tell you that sometimes "taking care of your own" will pay large dividends In the future. How many people were calling for Chevy's head and instead he signed him to an extension? I completely disagree that "failed miserably" and I am no fan of Noel. I applaude his loyalty to the people that helped him attain his goal. I don't think he's blinded by that one but but does give it some weight as it very well should! Bravo Mr. Chipman!

So what did Noel do for the Jets? He basically sent Burmi home by picking a useless Olli over Burmi. He threw his players under the bus. Had a fight with Ladd. Lucky Ladd wanted to stick around after that. So taking care of their own in this case was a huge mistake and they are still paying Noel's contract.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I liked Noel. The Moose had a decent track record of hiring coaches that got the call to the bigs, so I get why Chipman & co. had the confidence in their own previous selection to give him a shot. With the longview plan they had, there wasn't a ton of pressure for Noel to succeed right away, so he ends up getting 2.5 years before they accurately made an assessment and made a correction. Would have loved to see him succeed here, but clearly the relatively young core here needed someone like Mo to light a fire under them at times. I think Mo plays to their strengths better as well. The emphasis on conditioning is likely a big thing as well, considering the heavy game they have been trying to play all year.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I don't think he means HF boards. I think he means a TSN type panel. So the op is correct. I don't think Noel knows more than the likes of McKenzie or Dreger.

He would offer a different kind of insight. As a professional coach and former player. I don't think Dreger or Mckenzie ever laced up the skates outside of a Timbit game.

Not that Noel is some god of coaches, but give the guy some credit. We slam the guy, but he coached hockey on a professional level for 20 years and has a knowledge of hockey systems. We're just local bean counters who pretend we know better.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Speaking about hockey experts on TV channels:

I was freaking out of my mind when I saw COLBY freaking ARMSTRONG sitting at the sportsnet table. And then I thought to myself "Well makes sense since he's no good at hockey"

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yep, he used to wear my band's shirt on Much Music so I have a soft spot for Strombo.

I've actually narrowed it down to 2 Winnipeg bands. My curiosity's driving me nuts.
can i guess which one?
and can i guess that you used to play bass?

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have no problems with True North's vision. What I and others have issues with is the fact that Noel was picked as the coach by the owner and not the GM. Noel was not Chevy's coach. Now it seems Maurice was. Example: Jerry Jones sticks his nose too much in the football operations in Dallas. Chipman should never become a Jones.

or Darryl Katz. The Oilers will be a joke until he sells the team.

seasontixholder*

Why is it in the NFL, they get ex pro bowl players to do analysis, commentary, and sidelines. But in the NHL, the players doing the same job are all scrubs. How many of them are all star players? Obviously it's money but it is still sad.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Why is it in the NFL, they get ex pro bowl players to do analysis, commentary, and sidelines. But in the NHL, the players doing the same job are all scrubs. How many of them are all star players? Obviously it's money but it is still sad.

Basketball is the same. They have Shaq and Charles Barkley doing analyst work. Not sure what it is about hockey. Maybe it's a culture thing that star hockey players made enough during their careers so feel it would be selfish taking the paying jobs from more fringe guys who didn't make as much.

seasontixholder*

Basketball is the same. They have Shaq and Charles Barkley doing analyst work. Not sure what it is about hockey. Maybe it's a culture thing that star hockey players made enough during their careers so feel it would be selfish taking the paying jobs from more fringe guys who didn't make as much.

It is a head scratcher. But think of the players you named. They have enough money to burn. I think it's the love of the game and that's one way to stay involved in it. Think of a few NFL names. Troy Aikman, Dan Marino, and Dion Sanders, etc, etc, etc. Not one of them should ever need any more money.

So why no all star NHL players? Unless PJ Stock was an all star? :sarcasm: Remember he did score a goal on Martin Brodeur.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I've actually narrowed it down to 2 Winnipeg bands. My curiosity's driving me nuts.
can i guess which one?
and can i guess that you used to play bass?

Sure, go ahead and guess. I play guitar, not bass though.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It is a head scratcher. But think of the players you named. They have enough money to burn. I think it's the love of the game and that's one way to stay involved in it. Think of a few NFL names. Troy Aikman, Dan Marino, and Dion Sanders, etc, etc, etc. Not one of them should ever need any more money.

So why no all star NHL players? Unless PJ Stock was an all star? :sarcasm: Remember he did score a goal on Martin Brodeur.

Nothing more than a guess, but I think the analysts for the NBA and NFL get paid in the millions or at least close to a million each year thus they are able to attract the former star players who, at best, may be able to make comparable money elsewhere. Could be that the analysts on Canadian tv like Sportsnet and TSN get paid a few hundred thousand per year or maybe even less than a hundred thousand. The former star players might view this as unworthy of their time as other business ventures might net them more money.

The NFL has 3 times the revenue as the NHL and nearly 50 - 100% more revenue in the NBA with the huge national tv contract (over $80 million per team) so I guess it follows that the pbp men and the analysts would receive commensurate wages.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Sure, go ahead and guess. I play guitar, not bass though.

At least its not drums.

The Easter Bunny, Santa, a drummer with good time and a drummer with bad time all stand around a 10$ bill. Who takes the bill?

Answer: The Drummer with bad time, because every other thing doesn't exist.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Claude Noel was hired to coach a Jets team with limited talent and no depth whatsoever. Ultimately, he wasn't successful, but he did take a team with the potential to be horrible, and make them fair-to-adequate for 2.5 seasons. Overall, I don't think he could have done much better.

The Jets were right to let him go when they did, but remember - the Jets were his first real test as a head coach, and I'm sure he learned an awful lot from the experience. To say that he's not NHL head coach material based on what he did in Winnipeg is, well...ridiculous. I'd hate to be judged today on what I knew the first two or three years I worked in my field.

He may or may not be a good NHL head coach in the future. You can be sure that if he gets another chance, he won't make some of the mistakes he probably made in Winnipeg. I say good for him! I hold no malice against him, and I wish him well.

As for Strombo, I've also heard from CBC insiders that he's a really nice guy, and he certainly knows his music. His problem is that he's hopelessly out of place on the hockey broadcasts, and I think he's starting to know it. I was watching him during that horrible, horrible Jets-Canucks broadcast on Tuesday, and I felt embarrassed for him. He look out of place, uncomfortable, and a little bit ashamed to be involved with such garbage. He needs to get out.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Claude Noel was hired to coach a Jets team with limited talent and no depth whatsoever. Ultimately, he wasn't successful, but he did take a team with the potential to be horrible, and make them fair-to-adequate for 2.5 seasons. Overall, I don't think he could have done much better.

The Jets were right to let him go when they did, but remember - the Jets were his first real test as a head coach, and I'm sure he learned an awful lot from the experience. To say that he's not NHL head coach material based on what he did in Winnipeg is, well...ridiculous. I'd hate to be judged today on what I knew the first two or three years I worked in my field.

He may or may not be a good NHL head coach in the future. You can be sure that if he gets another chance, he won't make some of the mistakes he probably made in Winnipeg. I say good for him! I hold no malice against him, and I wish him well.

As for Strombo, I've also heard from CBC insiders that he's a really nice guy, and he certainly knows his music. His problem is that he's hopelessly out of place on the hockey broadcasts, and I think he's starting to know it. I was watching him during that horrible, horrible Jets-Canucks broadcast on Tuesday, and I felt embarrassed for him. He look out of place, uncomfortable, and a little bit ashamed to be involved with such garbage. He needs to get out.

Agreed. Well said.

Otherwise a bunch of myopic and not very classy comments on here. Save those for the radio call in show after losses folks.

seasontixholder*

Except he failed in Columbus and when Maurice took over the Jets, Maurice had a better record with the same core. So ya he's not an NHL coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00