OT: Claude Noel "exploring opportunities"

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hmmm, just heard he's parted ways with the WHL team he'd coached for a few months. Surprising...apparently something about potential "pro opportunities..."

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sounds like it's a mutual thing not fired per se

@darrendupont: The Vancouver Giants and head coach Claud Noel are mutually parting ways. Giants saying Noel is looking to pursue pro opportunities. #WHL

seasontixholder*

Doesn't surprise me. Cost the Jets 2.5 years of development. Never liked him as the Moose coach either. His head coach tenure is done. He'll be lucky to be a assistant coach in the AHL now. Sorry to be negative but it's the truth.

seasontixholder*

Sounds like it's a mutual thing not fired per se

@darrendupont: The Vancouver Giants and head coach Claud Noel are mutually parting ways. Giants saying Noel is looking to pursue pro opportunities. #WHL

Question. Didn't he have a losing record for the Giants and the Jets?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah sorry the title was off...when I heard the story on 1290 it initially was presented as a firing but ended up sounding more like a mutual parting of the ways...

*fixed now. :)

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Agree

Doesn't surprise me. Cost the Jets 2.5 years of development. Never liked him as the Moose coach either. His head coach tenure is done. He'll be lucky to be a assistant coach in the AHL now. Sorry to be negative but it's the truth.

Cannot argue with this. How was he hired by the Jets when Hitch was available? It raises serious concerns on ownership interference with hockey operation.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The season was over and Claude wasn't going to spend the next couple years coaching a rebuilding junior team. I don't think this was a big surprise.

edit........but I hope he isn't the next Moose coach!

jetkarma*

The season was over and Claude wasn't going to spend the next couple years coaching a rebuilding junior team. I don't think this was a big surprise.

edit........but I hope he isn't the next Moose coach!

He's not going to be , thankfully.

seasontixholder*

Wouldn't it be great to have Noel replace scarface PJ Stock or Nick the anti-jet Kypreos or Strombo-nehead? That's Noel's true calling. Best post game pressers as an NHL coach.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Wouldn't it be great to have Noel replace PJ Stock or that bozo nick Kypreos or Strombo-nehead? That's Noel's true calling. Best post game pressers as an NHL coach.

Stock or Kypreos leaving would be fine with me. Quite like Strombo though.....

That being said, would love to see Noel transition to media. His post game pressers were the best.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
He is going to be the new spokes person for...........................

halls-x-3.jpeg

seasontixholder*

Stock or Kypreos leaving would be fine with me. Quite like Strombo though.....

That being said, would love to see Noel transition to media. His post game pressers were the best.

Wow! I need to write this down. Haven't found any friend or family in Canada that likes Strombo. :)

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Wow! I need to write this down. Haven't found any friend or family in Canada that likes Strombo. :)

Hahahaha I've liked him since I was a kid and he was a VJ on Much.

While I will agree that his hosting of HNIC and national SN hockey broadcasts Isn't as great as his other work, I'm still a fan. Loved his talk show.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wouldn't it be great to have Noel replace scarface PJ Stock or Nick the anti-jet Kypreos or Strombo-nehead? That's Noel's true calling. Best post game pressers as an NHL coach.

Noel would be great on any hockey panel, he would (is) better than just about anyone on SN!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hahahaha I've liked him since I was a kid and he was a VJ on Much.

While I will agree that his hosting of HNIC and national SN hockey broadcasts Isn't as great as his other work, I'm still a fan. Loved his talk show.

wow...I really really disliked him back in his VJ days (and I actually like the sorts of music he advocated at the time) and my dislike (nay, hatred) of him has grown ever since. He's so sickeningly smarmy and insincere and "overly interested" all the time, and the punk affectations (the "do's" and skinny pants and skinny ties and yadda yadda) bug the hell out of me. I also find him utterly un-funny anytime I've seen him doing anything that was supposed to be funny. When he used to deliver his opening rant on his interview show the "jokes" just always fell flat for me...I just find him annoying as hell. He's tried to be a sort of "punk renaissance man" - sort of a punkier version of what everyone thought Jian Ghomeshi was - but he's not nearly smart enough, nor punk enough to pull it off.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
wow...I really really disliked him back in his VJ days (and I actually like the sorts of music he advocated at the time) and my dislike (nay, hatred) of him has grown ever since. He's so sickeningly smarmy and insincere and "overly interested" all the time, and the punk affectations (the "do's" and skinny pants and skinny ties and yadda yadda) bug the hell out of me. I also find him utterly un-funny anytime I've seen him doing anything that was supposed to be funny. When he used to deliver his opening rant on his interview show the "jokes" just always fell flat for me...I just find him annoying as hell. He's tried to be a sort of "punk renaissance man" - sort of a punkier version of what everyone thought Jian Ghomeshi was - but he's not nearly smart enough, nor punk enough to pull it off.

I don't like him.because hes a vegan.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
On the topic of Noel, I agree that his calling is probably more funny guy on a panel, although I'm skeptical that he would lift the panel's hockey knowledge average.

He was pretty punk, even if his appearance was probably more poser punk to many... but you can only work in mainstream media so much if you go all the way.

When I used to talk to him, there was barely an underground punk, metal, or hardcore band in Canada that he didn't know about, like legit know songs, stories, and deep information. I'm talking bands that regularly played to 50-100 kids, even my own bands. Ya that was part of his job to know certain bands, but there were many that would never had Much Music potential that he knew about.

He was quick to support small bands, buying merch and music.

Nov 24, 2006

He is Canada's hipster hockey dufus. It's a travesty that he's on there.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
On the topic of Noel, I agree that his calling is probably more funny guy on a panel, although I'm skeptical that he would lift the panel's hockey knowledge average.

He was pretty punk, even if his appearance was probably more poser punk to many... but you can only work in mainstream media so much if you go all the way.

When I used to talk to him, there was barely an underground punk, metal, or hardcore band in Canada that he didn't know about, like legit know songs, stories, and deep information. I'm talking bands that regularly played to 50-100 kids, even my own bands. Ya that was part of his job to know certain bands, but there were many that would never had Much Music potential that he knew about.

oh hey I'm sure he's not a bad guy...I'm just talking about how he comes across on the teevee.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg

Yep, he used to wear my band's shirt on Much Music so I have a soft spot for Strombo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00