Management Claude Julien III - the final countdown?(ALL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Eriksson 48 games 10 goals 11 assists 21 points -6

Backes 42 games 11 goals 11 assists 22 points -5

Backes still looks like the better deal, but not by much.

But, no matter how you look at things, the coach is still the major issue.

Remer, don't you get it? When the Bs win it's because of Julien and his system and when they lose it's because he has a crappy roster.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
This team has more then enough talent in their top 9 if utilized properly. Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci and Backes are all legitimate top 6 forwards, Vatrano is certainly at the least, a 3rd line guy, perhaps even top 6, Beleskey is a very solid 3rd line guy having a rough year. Spooner if utilized properly is easily a top 9 player, however Julien has reduced him to 4th line status, that could easily be rectified by another coach. The way I see it, we are lacking only 1 top 9 guy, the problem is our esteemed coach is not getting the best out of these guys, they are underachieving, that responsibility falls on Julien.

Top six yes, top nine not so sure. Spooner is a top nine player about two out of every five games at best, his inconsistency kills his line. Does he have the skill yes, just does not use it regularly and that is a big issue. Belesky is a good third liner, Czarnik, Hayes, Nash, Schaller, Blidh are not third liners, that is the weakest area on this team and the defence is a very close second.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Just an embarrassing loss to Pittsburgh. This needs to happen:

Cxa-GiqUUAASoLp.jpg

The Hajj

Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Julien's rigid system restricts players' willingness to create chances off the rush or by aggressively attacking in the offensive zone. The system was more effective in the past but the NHL has evolved into a more open, faster paced game than even a few years ago. His failure to adapt to his roster warrants his dismissal. Watching Babcock's very young Leafs team steamroll the Flames physically and on the scoreboard right now. There's no way CJ would get this kind of production from them. Yes, they give up lots of chances, but boy, do they attack at every opportunity.

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
I know facts aren't allowed so I'll just speculate, only partially, that the boys are feeling the pressure. Whether it comes from Neely or Julien, there's a feeling particularly amongst the D that if you can't put a guy through the boards then your useless.
There's certainly a segment of management and I include Julien, that wants and demands that element yet this roster and the evolution of the game show a disconnect. Round pegs square holes and all that

To be fair, there aren't that many guys that fill both rolls. Is Boychuk the last Bruin that fit that mold? Hopefully Carlo grows into that. You have to think that he covers the defensive aspect of the game and that grants him some grace.

Krug is the only offensively gifted d'man. Chiller has the potential to get there. I think he can pattern his game to Duncan Keiths, he just needs more snarl though it's become more evident in his game before the injury.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Julien's rigid system restricts players' willingness to create chances off the rush or by aggressively attacking in the offensive zone. The system was more effective in the past but the NHL has evolved into a more open, faster paced game than even a few years ago. His failure to adapt to his roster warrants his dismissal. Watching Babcock's very young Leafs team steamroll the Flames physically and on the scoreboard right now. There's no way CJ would get this kind of production from them. Yes, they give up lots of chances, but boy, do they attack at every opportunity.

As much as it pains me to say it because I hate the Leafs.But there is no way the Bruins our going to catch them to get into the playoffs.I would agree I couldn't see Julian having any success with ths Leaf team.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Eriksson 48 games 10 goals 11 assists 21 points -6

Backes 42 games 11 goals 11 assists 22 points -5

Backes still looks like the better deal, but not by much.

But, no matter how you look at things, the coach is still the major issue.

The flaw in this post is that Eriksson is not lining up beside Krejci in Vancouver. I would have expected another 30-30 here.

HattieGordHoweTrick

Jan 9, 2014
yup that would suck.

i thought the skill comment would end cj's time here...

Rask is 4th in games started, 4 games behind 1st and 1 game behind 2nd. He's 6th in wins...

He's not even on the same planet as this teams problems, and certainly doesn't deserve to have his toughness or what have you questioned. Comparing him taking a regular season game off to Berg playing through injuries in the playoffs isn't a valid comparison.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The flaw in this post is that Eriksson is not lining up beside Krejci in Vancouver. I would have expected another 30-30 here.

people expected him to have great chemistry with the Sedins. Kind of intellectually dishonest to act like not having Krejci is the big reason for his drop in production.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I will share with everyone what I just shared with you on the phone.

I never get upset/angry in anything to do with hockey, but I'm livid. (And you heard it in my voice Dan)

It's always been a power struggle with Neely. Head to head battles with Chiarelli. When Neely was promoted from VP to Pres he said that he had been involved in player decisions and looked forward to getting more involved as Pres.

The Writing was on the wall. It's no secret that I was all for firing Neely over Chiarelli. Still believe that should have been the case.

IF I were JJ this is how I would deal with it:

TO Charlie: Shut your mouth, I'm dealing with this once and for all.

TO Neely (who wants Julien gone): You convinced me we had to fire Chiarelli and that it was the best move for the franchise. You convinced me we were a playoff team. How is firing Julien getting us any closer to the playoffs Cam? You've cost me millions of dollars over the past two years and about to cost me millions more. How can you stand there and convince me firing Julien is the best thing for this team? It all rests on you Cam. You've either mislead me, or your just not qualified. Julien stays.

My guess (or more what I'd like to see) is they ride out the season. Neely resigns at the end of the season to save face. They hire a new President outside the organization who can work with Sweeney and have the same vision.

I've said from the day Sweeney was hired that this would be a 3 year process to be playoff contenders (this is year two) and five years before they become legit contenders. And once they get there, will be there for an extended time.

It's on plan as far as I'm concerned. As long as JJ, and not Charlie, make the right choice tomorrow.

Strongly, strongly agree with this.

I think Sweeney needs more time to implement his plan. He hasn't been active enough, he's made some bad moves (I've been a critic) but I also think the emergence of Carlo shows there is potential in our prospects. Maybe he doesn't succeed, but it's too soon to say. He at least deserves more time, and certainly more time without Neely's negative influence/control. And yes, he needs to get off his ass and make a move (but I fear a panic move induced by a President worried about his job security (more on this below).

I also have changed my mind about Claude; for the longest time I've been, more or less, a critic (and still am on several counts), but I think he's shown top coaching ability to drag this mediocre roster within a stone's throw of playoff contention. He's also showed he can develop and foster youth, in both Carlo and Pasta. If we're able to "retool while also compete", I think it's largely due to his abilities. If Claude goes, this team tanks. Mark my words.

Last but not least: If anyone needs to go, it's Neely. You can see his influence in certain moves, and they've all been negative... as in, the worst moves (Zac Rinaldo, anyone?). I think Neely should have been fired, full stop, for being one of the biggest advocates of the Seguin trade (Bradley too, in order to be fair); again, I wasn't necessarily opposed to trading Seguin, but not for that return. I think Chiarelli took a bad return because he was forced to move Seguin.

Neely has been a mediocre president and a force for ill in the front office.

And you know what? I bet you Dom is right. Claude is the most winning-est coach in Bruins history, who also delivered a Cup in 2011.

To JJ, Claude is a proven winner. In the front office, what has Neely done? Nothing. Under his stewardship, we've gone from perennial contender to this.

#NeelyOut

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Bruins to afraid to let him go.lol They know spotlight lands on them they do.

I genuinely believe that if they fire him and hire somebody new, with a new voice, philosophy, etc that this team will make the playoffs.

They've been stuck in this stagnant place for three years. Sure, there are a few players that shouldn't be on this team/not talented enough. But our top guys haven't played up to snuff either. Time to cut the cord and move on. I'm sure it IS scary but they have to do it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I genuinely believe that if they fire him and hire somebody new, with a new voice, philosophy, etc that this team will make the playoffs.

They've been stuck in this stagnant place for three years. Sure, there are a few players that shouldn't be on this team/not talented enough. But our top guys haven't played up to snuff either. Time to cut the cord and move on. I'm sure it IS scary but they have to do it.

Well they are at a point that something needs to change.I do not have the answers But I stand by saying any coach in Boston is going to have a hard time without a top pairing D man who can control the play more.But not saying you and many other could not be right.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

I'm starting to think the same way. Claude has been here to long and the core guys have become too comfortable with him and he with them. This team needs to be shaken to the core. The roster is not a contender but as you said our top guys have left much to desire. The team as a whole should be better than they have shown. The problem I see is that they need someone who can take the bull by the horns and that guy just doesn't seem to be out there at this time. I don't want to take anything away from Claude , I don't have anything to teach him. But maybe he should reconsider his choices late in the game when the team is behind.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I think Sweeney and Julien are the solution, not the problem, not that either is perfect. So I would have to agree with Dom if what he says is true about Neely's interference. The worst thing is when anger or fear dictates impulsive decisions.

But is it mainly Neely or is it also C and J Jacobs? I have always believed JJ forced the Thornton trade. The Sequin trade might have been on Cam. In both cases the B's got far less in return that they should have gotten (at least throw in a 1st, for god's sake).

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I see Neeley as a hot head who wants players who live up to his expectations of the type of player he was. Holding them up to that standard is difficult. The NHL has changed and he is a dinosaur in that regard. Great player but not very good as president.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Have you watched the Leafs this year? They have some kids with exceptional talent and great wheels, and on the back end, some guys with solid mobility which makes the run/gun style possible. You hand Babcock the Bruins roster as it is today, I`d wager he`d have compiled about the same amount of points.

I actually think watching the Leafs kids right now is going to be a bit like watching some of the Bruins prospects as they make their way into the pro game in the coming years, some quick, talented kids coming, right now, this team is slow and lacks skill. And let`s not forget how the Leafs got to the point where they were in a position to pick some of these kidstoo....tank time, ya want that? This ain`t the year to tank, not the deep draft we`ve seen in past years and that Leafs team didn`t "steamroll" the Flames physically, if anything, the Flames went too often out of their way to hit the Leafs who`s skating frustrated the Flames

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Have you watched the Leafs this year? They have some kids with exceptional talent and great wheels, and on the back end, some guys with solid mobility which makes the run/gun style possible. You hand Babcock the Bruins roster as it is today, I`d wager he`d have compiled about the same amount of points.

I actually think watching the Leafs kids right now is going to be a bit like watching some of the Bruins prospects as they make their way into the pro game in the coming years, some quick, talented kids coming, right now, this team is slow and lacks skill. And let`s not forget how the Leafs got to the point where they were in a position to pick some of these kidstoo....tank time, ya want that? This ain`t the year to tank, not the deep draft we`ve seen in past years and that Leafs team didn`t "steamroll" the Flames physically, if anything, the Flames went too often out of their way to hit the Leafs who`s skating frustrated the Flames

Leafs are fun to watch.

Just wondering which Bruins prospects are going to look like Matthews (19), Marner (19) or Nylander (20)? Matt Hunwick is their oldest player at 31. Don't think fans are going to be laughing at Leafs anymore.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
people expected him to have great chemistry with the Sedins. Kind of intellectually dishonest to act like not having Krejci is the big reason for his drop in production.

Why? He prospered with Krejci last year. He prospered with Ribeiro,with Richards and then Benn. Now he plays with Granlund,a third liner.He also had average production with Soderberg. The feeling is that Henrik and Daniel are about 60-70% of what they were and that Daniel and Loui's games were too similar. Henry's on pace for 53 points and Daniel is on pace for 44. They are no longer top players. There is also the chance they pulled the plug too quickly. Loui would be on pace for 30 here.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Based on how Krejci has looked this season???

Well,Krejci admitted to getting injured around game 50 last year,so that would be Loui with an injured Krejci for 30 games. Krejci took about 30 games to get healthy this year and he was trying to do it with another brand new winger on one side and some questionable ones on the other.

The Hajj

Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho

Yes, I have watched a few TOR games this year, and I think their coach uses a game plan that maximizes the players' ability to succeed by emphasizing their strongpoints, not trying to force them into a strict defensive system.

I don't believe the Bruins' roster is too slow to play an attacking system. True, a few of the guys are slower than average, but plenty of them are fully capable of playing an aggressive style of hockey. CJ's system is what creates an illusion of slow play. The constant dump and chase, puck carrier curl back just inside the blue line, or ring around the boards back to the point stuff would slow down any roster.

Obviously a team needs to have some form of defensive structure, but trying to win games 2-1 is a recipe for disaster. I think a new coach with an aggressive attacking system would help this team tremendously.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Yes, I have watched a few TOR games this year, and I think their coach uses a game plan that maximizes the players' ability to succeed by emphasizing their strongpoints, not trying to force them into a strict defensive system.

I don't believe the Bruins' roster is too slow to play an attacking system. True, a few of the guys are slower than average, but plenty of them are fully capable of playing an aggressive style of hockey. CJ's system is what creates an illusion of slow play. The constant dump and chase, puck carrier curl back just inside the blue line, or ring around the boards back to the point stuff would slow down any roster.

Obviously a team needs to have some form of defensive structure, but trying to win games 2-1 is a recipe for disaster. I think a new coach with an aggressive attacking system would help this team tremendously.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad