Management Claude Julien III - the final countdown?(ALL talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It's great fun, I also enjoy when I'm flying down the highway and one eye starts doing an impression of a kaleidoscope.

That is exactly how I describe mine too. I know first because I get a tiny blind spot and then it progresses to flashing silvery shapes like a kaleidscope that slowly takes over the whole vision from my left eye. Altogether, it takes about 30 minutes. Sometimes I get a headache later, sometimes I don't.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
The thing is the third line has been awful all year, no matter who is placed on it. No doubt , CJ is desperate an willing to try anyone at this point. Spooner and Czarkik continue to be train wrecks in the D zone. Horrible roster this year. Would like to see Cehlarik and Debrusk at some point.

I completely agree with you. Outside the top 6 there's nothing to get excited about. The only player that has been pretty good outside the top 6 has been Moore.
I don't get the hype over Czarnik, he brings nothing to the table and is even worse than Spooner.
The roster is pretty meh but we knew it before the season started, so all the talk about the Bruins making it to the playoffs was already delusional back then.

I for myself wouldn't call up Cehlarik or Debrusk. Let them spend a full season in Providence on a winning team, don't put them into the mess the Bruins are right now.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I too get migraines. They are paralyzing.

But I can't ever remember any other playing taking himself out of games or missing them because of illness more than Rask. Is that recency bias from me, or does that feel right to others?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Honestly. Not trying to be hyper-critical, have unrealistic expectations, or pile on a guy. Just trying to figure out why it's rubbing me the wrong way.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
lol, was that a third line or a fourth line? I get confused, but no matter how you slice it...that one was bad.

Best fourth line out there. Mowers was god, Lewis used him in every situation!

Pretty sure we had some combination of Boyes, Donovan and Chistov as the third line. Or was it Tenkrat?

Dunno. That team had so many gods that year it's hard to remember. All we had were the avatars.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Nobody is going to agree to coach in Boston without a guarantee for next year unless it is someone who is desperate for one more chance in the NHL. (Robbie Ftorek??? Dave Lewis???)

Let's be real about this. 2 years Charlie was given the keys and the fancy title but Jeremy Jacobs is still the owner of this team. As long as he is around he will always have the final say.

You can have Cassidy take over as interim coach, not need to guarantee anything.

JJ's track record is awful. Either have a president that can make the desc ions he wants, or continue the clown show that is this management team.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Honestly. Not trying to be hyper-critical, have unrealistic expectations, or pile on a guy. Just trying to figure out why it's rubbing me the wrong way.

Well there's a history of him missing some games, rumors questioning the nature of the illnesses. Missing the last and most important game of the year will not help.

And I honestly don't know if he's missing more games than other goaltenders around the league and there's something to that. Or if it's that we use him more and need him more than we ever used to so there's less time and patience for him not being ready to go.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I get it and he's opened himself up to the criticism. I honestly wasn't sure if you knew the reason cause there's been other unexplained illnesses.

But if it was indeed a migraine (which he had before, exactly like this) it's not a reflection of his drive to win in this scenario. Forget the headache and nausea, he legit wouldn't be able to see the puck if he gets the visual **** like I do.

Kaleidescope Eyes, that's my 1st cue to get the drugs. Can't see for crap, trying to makes the head part trigger faster and harder, at least for me. Good times when it happens at work dealing with spreadsheets, can't imagine having to try and track a black puck on white.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
That is exactly how I describe mine too. I know first because I get a tiny blind spot and then it progresses to flashing silvery shapes like a kaleidscope that slowly takes over the whole vision from my left eye. Altogether, it takes about 30 minutes. Sometimes I get a headache later, sometimes I don't.

I think the shape is different for everyone. For me, the Kaleidescope is over the entire outline of my eyeballs, on both sides, so it's like I have these shiny, sparkly, annoying flashing lights that look exactly like eyes that I'm trying to see through.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I completely agree with you. Outside the top 6 there's nothing to get excited about. The only player that has been pretty good outside the top 6 has been Moore.
I don't get the hype over Czarnik, he brings nothing to the table and is even worse than Spooner.
The roster is pretty meh but we knew it before the season started, so all the talk about the Bruins making it to the playoffs was already delusional back then.

I for myself wouldn't call up Cehlarik or Debrusk. Let them spend a full season in Providence on a winning team, don't put them into the mess the Bruins are right now.

That's not entirely true. I mean Schaller and Nash on the 4th line aren't bad. The way I see it:

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Krejci Backes
Vatrano
Schaller Moore Nash

Too many holes.

Forget top 6, Beleskey/Spooner/Czarnik/Hayes aren't even cutting it as top 9! They are a top 6 winger, a 3rd line center and a 3rd line winger short.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
That's not entirely true. I mean Schaller and Nash on the 4th line aren't bad. The way I see it:

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
Krejci Backes
Vatrano
Schaller Moore Nash

Too many holes.

Forget top 6, Beleskey/Spooner/Czarnik/Hayes aren't even cutting it as top 9! They are a top 6 winger, a 3rd line center and a 3rd line winger short.

This team has more then enough talent in their top 9 if utilized properly. Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci and Backes are all legitimate top 6 forwards, Vatrano is certainly at the least, a 3rd line guy, perhaps even top 6, Beleskey is a very solid 3rd line guy having a rough year. Spooner if utilized properly is easily a top 9 player, however Julien has reduced him to 4th line status, that could easily be rectified by another coach. The way I see it, we are lacking only 1 top 9 guy, the problem is our esteemed coach is not getting the best out of these guys, they are underachieving, that responsibility falls on Julien.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
This team has more then enough talent in their top 9 if utilized properly. Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci and Backes are all legitimate top 6 forwards, Vatrano is certainly at the least, a 3rd line guy, perhaps even top 6, Beleskey is a very solid 3rd line guy having a rough year. Spooner if utilized properly is easily a top 9 player, however Julien has reduced him to 4th line status, that could easily be rectified by another coach. The way I see it, we are lacking only 1 top 9 guy, the problem is our esteemed coach is not getting the best out of these guys, they are underachieving, that responsibility falls on Julien.

I agree. Many of the people complaining about talent on offense were projecting this offense to be top 10 in the league this season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
for as bad as things are here, still can`t believe the Habs didn`t can Therrien last year

Is it possible that there just aren`t many good candidates out there?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree. Many of the people complaining about talent on offense were projecting this offense to be top 10 in the league this season.

I still think it was fair to expect that and if Begeron hadn't started off so slow because of his leg injury, we probably would be around 10.

Heck, no matter how much someone may hate or like Hayes and Beleskey, it would have been fair to say that we expected them to total around 30 goals total between the two, which is fairly average for 3rd liners and right in line with last year's totals. Now it doesn't look like they'll score 10 total between the two, which is awful.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Last year top 9

Bergeron
Marchand
Vatrano
Krejci
Pasta
Spooner
Beleskey
Hayes
Eriksson

This year top 9

Bergeron
Marchand
Vatrano
Krejci
Pasta
Spooner
Backes
Schaller
Nash

Swapped out Eriksson, Beleskey and Hayes for Backes, Schaller and Nash. Not a huge difference at all. Julien should really put Spooner and Czarnik on the 3rd line with Backes centering. Put MB on the 46-88 line and roll 63-37-72 but he has to, just has to continue wasting Backes at wing, Schaller on line 2 and Riley Nash centering line 3. Horrible.

He does nothing different. How many shifts has Marchand played off Bergeron's wing? Maybe that would ignite the "Matrix" to play a little more urgent? Hey, I remember Spooner and Pasta having some chemistry a while back. Maybe put Backes between them and catch lightning in a bottle for a few games?

Julien cannot be absolved of any blame here.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I too get migraines. They are paralyzing.

But I can't ever remember any other playing taking himself out of games or missing them because of illness more than Rask. Is that recency bias from me, or does that feel right to others?

It feels right, but if his migraines are like mine, there is a visual cue that one is coming on. My peripheral vision will start to become blurry, I usually pop an advil at that point in time and the migraine doesn't kill me.

If he is getting that visual cue, he is doing the right thing in pulling himself.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
No. 1 goalie Tuukka Rask, who left Sunday’s game at 11:48 of the second period with a migraine, did not practice and was undergoing evaluation by medical staff.

“He’s seeing the docs as we speak,’’ said Julien. “He’s dealing with migraine issues. That’s basically all it is and hopefully we’ll have some good news here. He’s had it before.’’

Julien said that during the game, Rask came up to him and said, “Right now I’m having trouble with my vision and my neck.’’

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ir-mistakes/UptkeHPYVLhmhBCvkYSFeK/story.html

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Tank city here we come, Rask has been the only guy holding this team together, hopefully he is not out for an extended period of time.

What else can go wrong.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Last year top 9

Bergeron
Marchand
Vatrano
Krejci
Pasta
Spooner
Beleskey
Hayes
Eriksson

This year top 9

Bergeron
Marchand
Vatrano
Krejci
Pasta
Spooner
Backes
Schaller
Nash

Swapped out Eriksson, Beleskey and Hayes for Backes, Schaller and Nash. Not a huge difference at all. Julien should really put Spooner and Czarnik on the 3rd line with Backes centering. Put MB on the 46-88 line and roll 63-37-72 but he has to, just has to continue wasting Backes at wing, Schaller on line 2 and Riley Nash centering line 3. Horrible.

He does nothing different. How many shifts has Marchand played off Bergeron's wing? Maybe that would ignite the "Matrix" to play a little more urgent? Hey, I remember Spooner and Pasta having some chemistry a while back. Maybe put Backes between them and catch lightning in a bottle for a few games?

Julien cannot be absolved of any blame here.

Losing Eriksson was huge and actually has made a big difference. He had 30 goals and 63 points last year. Many of his goals came from in front of the net getting dirty. Backes has 11 goals and 22 points with over half the season gone. Nash has 2 goals and 8 points. Schaller has 6 goals and 12 points. And how in the world is putting Spooner and Czarnik on the wings with Backes centering going to do anything? Claude has mixed and matched lines all season with the same crap result. He simply does not have enough to work with to make out 3 effective lines at one time. He has to rob Peter to pay Paul no matter what line combinations he comes up with.

One thing I should add. DS lost Eriksson and brought in Backes and said from the get-go that Backes would be likely to play wing. Why in the hell would you lose a 63 point winger and turn around and throw $6 million at a center on the downslope of his career, knowing full well you have a ton of centers on the roster and not enough scoring wingers? That's beyond stupid. I thought for sure another move was going to be made when Backes was brought in since the roster did not need this many centers and needed to replace Loui's scoring. That never happened. Ridiculous to give CJ this kind of unbalanced roster and expect him to do much with it.

Last edited:

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Eriksson 48 games 10 goals 11 assists 21 points -6

Backes 42 games 11 goals 11 assists 22 points -5

Backes still looks like the better deal, but not by much.

But, no matter how you look at things, the coach is still the major issue.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Eriksson 48 games 10 goals 11 assists 21 points -6

Backes 42 games 11 goals 11 assists 22 points -5

Backes still looks like the better deal, but not by much.

But, no matter how you look at things, the coach is still the major issue.

I didn't realize Eriksson is on the Bruins, or is this comparing apples to oranges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad