Claude Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I remember in the 93 point season, a lot Gs points came on the rush. Right now, his line hasnt been entering the O zone with any kind of speed, so the defenders dont back off.

This is very noticeable as well. I can't even remember any goals scored this season that came off a rush. On top of that, the Flyers never seem to have any odd man rushes.

RJ8812*

This is very noticeable as well. I can't even remember any goals scored this season that came off a rush. On top of that, the Flyers never seem to have any odd man rushes.

they do, but you just try to forget about them because they all end embarrassingly

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Vinny's hilariously ugly goal assisted by Talbot and Giroux against the Isles came off of an odd man rush; can't remember any others.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Enough about this "without Jagr" BS. He had 47 points in 48 games last year without Jagr. That is not an incredible total by any means, but lets not pretend like Giroux was struggling without Jagr last year. He's having a down year, that is obvious. But let's not pretend like his career pre and post Jagr was nothingness. The year before Jagr he was just a shade under PPG and the year after he was as well. The extra ten points he got while Jagr was on the team is not some crazy total that shows Giroux isn't any good. There are still 70 games left. Giroux can still very easily hit that PPG mark this season. Relax.

There's so many people saying he got 47 last year. He got 48 didn't he?!

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Enough about this "without Jagr" BS. He had 47 points in 48 games last year without Jagr. That is not an incredible total by any means, but lets not pretend like Giroux was struggling without Jagr last year. He's having a down year, that is obvious. But let's not pretend like his career pre and post Jagr was nothingness. The year before Jagr he was just a shade under PPG and the year after he was as well. The extra ten points he got while Jagr was on the team is not some crazy total that shows Giroux isn't any good. There are still 70 games left. Giroux can still very easily hit that PPG mark this season. Relax.

At least with Jagr here we had someone who could score a goal.
With all this payroll we look like an AHL team out there on the ice.
He is in a mental funk now caused by the teams lack of production, which caused Lavi's firing.

I would assume he will amass at least 50 points this year, even with this horrendous start to the season.
At that production he is star material, but not superstar material.
If he was a superstar he could put this team on his back and will them to victory.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

This is because Berube plays a more defensive style.

Teams that play run in gun give up a lot of goals becaus their forwards are always looking to break out.

Teams that don't give up a lot of goals and play back rarely score a ton of goals since the forwards are focused on defense.

Changing your style of play can manipulate your players stats.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He is in a mental funk now caused by the teams lack of production, which caused Lavi's firing.

I would assume he will amass at least 50 points this year, even with this horrendous start to the season.
If he was a superstar he could put this team on his back and will them to victory.

There isn't a single player in the league that can do this on a consistent basis, not even Crosby. You can't be serious with this.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Jagr scored 19 goals. That's hardly impressive in terms of total production.

As has been mentioned, there is not a single superstar in this league capable of carrying a team all on their own. There are no Gretzkys or Lemieuxs in this league. Your expectations aren't in touch with reality.

RJ8812*

Jagr scored 19 goals. That's hardly impressive in terms of total production.

As has been mentioned, there is not a single superstar in this league capable of carrying a team all on their own. There are no Gretzkys or Lemieuxs in this league. Your expectations aren't in touch with reality.

Even those two couldn't do it alone

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
The worst player in the league is leading the team in points.....well tied for the lead.:laugh:

It looks like he is trying to do too much out there on the ice and it's really making him get nothing done on the ice. The other night on the Staal goal he was puck watching instead of picking up a man which I notice a lot of the flyers players do when they play defense, just don't understand it, is that how they are taught to play d? Also I never thought he should be captain, just cause your the most talented player on a team doesn't mean you should be captain but I'm sure Homer listened to Lavy's interview in the playoffs and said....well I guess since he's the best player in the world I should make him captain. Should have just let him go out there and play and make him an assistant captain but ......if Pronger doesn't get hurt, he isn't the captain, yet.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Even those two couldn't do it alone

Yeah. Lemieux had guys like Francis and Jagr and Gretzky had Messier and Kurri.

Gretzky is probably the closest any of them came to carrying a team on his own in LA, and of course with his downright silly domination in his prime. It really goes to show how insane it is to expect a player to carry a struggling team on his own.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is because Berube plays a more defensive style.

Teams that play run in gun give up a lot of goals becaus their forwards are always looking to break out.

Teams that don't give up a lot of goals and play back rarely score a ton of goals since the forwards are focused on defense.

Changing your style of play can manipulate your players stats.

It can manipulate your stats... but more as a team and less as individuals... you are talking the guys who are the majority of your offence (so 70-80 point guys, generally generating around 30 % of team offence) losing 5-10 points from a run and gun to defensive style.

Among similar teams (talent/point/position wise) you are talking about 25-35 goals a year less between a run and gun and defensive system.)

So if G had played in a more defensive system over the last few years he would still be expected to be approximately PPG.

The problem though is when players are on legitimately poor teams... the dropoff team wise from being an average playoff team to bottom 5 in goals scored is another 30 goals... so if your team goes from a good team who are offensice to a bad team you probably lose another 10 points off your 1st liners... so 85 point guys become 65-70 point guys.

It should actually affect guys who get less points less as well, so their end of season point totals look respectable, as a similar % drop off is only a few points for them (so 55 to late 40s, as they are involved in less % of team offence)

On bad teams point totals usually seem to show the better players playing worse (just off stats, if not actually watching games) due to this, and 2nd-3rd liners not dropping as much.

Ofc that is really simplified and not accounting anything but past averages, just looking at teams, goals, obviously more offensive teams and more defensive with similar point totals.

If the Flyers keep the abysmal offence up a good season team % wise for G will be around 45 points! (1.57x 82= 129/3= 43... that would be over 33% of all team offence, (34.9%) more than he usually is!)

That is how bad the offence has been! Ofc G is a part of this, and that has to be factored, but he is still being involved in a similar amount of team offence as he usually is.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It can manipulate your stats... but more as a team and less as individuals... you are talking the guys who are the majority of your offence (so 70-80 point guys, generally generating around 30 % of team offence) losing 5-10 points from a run and gun to defensive style.

Among similar teams (talent/point/position wise) you are talking about 25-35 goals a year less between a run and gun and defensive system.)

So if G had played in a more defensive system over the last few years he would still be expected to be approximately PPG.

The problem though is when players are on legitimately poor teams... the dropoff team wise from being an average playoff team to bottom 5 in goals scored is another 30 goals... so if your team goes from a good team who are offensice to a bad team you probably lose another 10 points off your 1st liners... so 85 point guys become 65-70 point guys.

It should actually affect guys who get less points less as well, so their end of season point totals look respectable, as a similar % drop off is only a few points for them (so 55 to late 40s, as they are involved in less % of team offence)

On bad teams point totals usually seem to show the better players playing worse (just off stats, if not actually watching games) due to this, and 2nd-3rd liners not dropping as much.

Ofc that is really simplified and not accounting anything but past averages, just looking at teams, goals, obviously more offensive teams and more defensive with similar point totals.

If the Flyers keep the abysmal offence up a good season team % wise for G will be around 45 points! (1.57x 82= 129/3= 43... that would be over 33% of all team offence, (34.9%) more than he usually is!)

That is how bad the offence has been! Ofc G is a part of this, and that has to be factored, but he is still being involved in a similar amount of team offence as he usually is.

My hope is the bizarrely low shooting percentage/bizarrely high missed shot percentage normalizes and they're fine. Chances are good it will do so just in time for them to miss the playoffs by a point or a tiebreak :(

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
Don't forget the breakaways by Wayne Simmonds and Adam Hall. And there stellar ensuing penalty shots :shakehead

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I see where people are coming from with G focusing too much on defense. Maybe it's time to move him back to the wing so he can focus more on offense.

I've said it before, his size is a much bigger issue at center than at wing. If he was bigger, maybe that Jordan Staal goal doesn't go in.

The only issue, of course, is faceoffs. Right now, only G and Couts are >50%, and G barely. Hall, Vinny and Schenn are all <44%, 2 of which are supposed to be good on faceoffs. If Vinny can get back to his previous form in the dot, G on Vinny's wing might be the best move.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Hall I had no problem with. Was a good attempt, considering who it was.

Simmonds' was straight up sad. Really, really sad.

Gotta agree. I wasn't expecting a goal, but that attempt.. I mean wow. I could have done better, and that's saying something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad