Claude Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
His playoff performance was exactly what you'd expect if you actually look at the situation he was in. The guy is getting nearly molested by Rangers players every time he touches the ice,

But this is the kind of thing superstars fight their way through. It is fair to say they Giroux didn't get it done versus Rangers.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
I agreed but I also saw him pass when he had a clear shot at the net, miss open nets and have a lot of trouble handling the puck.

He didn't play well, and that's a fact. It doesn't make him a bum. He just plain didn't play well.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
When I turn on 97.5 the fanatic and hear hosts spouting off that Giroux underperformed and that he's not a true star, needs to be the #2 player, etc. and then see that some people on this website agree, I wonder if this city truly deserves the greatness that is Giroux.

It appears to me that he does not have the combination required to truly lift a team when they need him most. Not big enough, not fast enough, not a good enough shot, the combos that make players truly great - I don't think they are there.

He can be criticized without being called a bum, I think.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Around the league, leaders and high level players are getting their goals and MEANINGFUL points and CONTRIBUTING shift after shift. Upsets do happen in this league and the underdog can and does have a better day. With G, all we hear are excuses. Are the rest of the leaders and high level players playing against AHLers on their shifts? Other teams game plan around certain players too, yet everyone but our guy is able to get it done. G isn't the only guy getting "special attention" in the league..

I think I would not go as far as you but I think fans have to wonder if this guy is someone who can come up big in the playoffs.

Very talented players, VERY talented, but does he have what it takes to lift his team at crunch time???

Remains to be seen.

Love to watch him play, but remains to be seen.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
They should trade him for Crosby since he only has one goal in the playoffs.

A bum for another bum

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
They should trade him for Crosby since he only has one goal in the playoffs.

A bum for another bum

Crosby has won a Cup. Crosby has won Olympic gold medals.

Let's put it this way - Crosby is playing like doodie, but if Hextall were to call Pittsburgh and suggest Giroux for Crosby, he'd be laughed off the phone. There's literally no comparison to be made there.

I get the try, but it's not there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But this is the kind of thing superstars fight their way through. It is fair to say they Giroux didn't get it done versus Rangers.

You act like star players are impossible to slow down...

Crosby is the best in the game and he had a bad series against the Blue Jackets, who are worse defensively than the Rangers. Does that mean he's not a superstar or a good captain? Obviously not.

You also said in another comment that Giroux doesn't lift his team when it's important... have you watched the Flyers?

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
No, that's not a fact. He did played well, as exhibited both by his stats and by an eye test, if you actually watched the games.

I did watch. He didn't play well.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Team lost. Obviously it's Giroux's fault.

Ehh, you can't deny he didn't really have a great series. He certainly wasn't the biggest reason we lost, but he could have been better. Missing that open net in Game 7 is haunting.

I'll chalk it up as a stifling defense and great goalie focusing on him exclusively.

It'd be nice to get someone to draw some of the attention away from him, Jagr was good at that. Voracek on another line might open up some better secondary scoring.

well Lavvy is no longer the coach.
the usual suspects cant blame him. instead blame the captain.

Berube was more responsible than any individual player. Maybe Coburn was worse, but Berube made some really bad decisions.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
It appears to me that he does not have the combination required to truly lift a team when they need him most. Not big enough, not fast enough, not a good enough shot, the combos that make players truly great - I don't think they are there.

He can be criticized without being called a bum, I think.

:help:

We're talking about the same guy, right? This Giroux kid who scored an overtime goal to sink Chicago in game 3 of the '10 Finals in his first full year in the NHL.

This Giroux kid who followed that up with a couple of outstanding goals in the Flyers' 7-game nail biter against Buffalo in '11.

This Giroux kid who was absolutely dominant and the best player on the ice against Pittsburgh in the Flyers' 6-game series win.

This Giroux kid who, despite getting very limited help from anyone but Voracek, managed to go PPG against the Rangers this season.

Seriously, anyone blaming Giroux for losing this series has no brain.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
:help:

We're talking about the same guy, right? This Giroux kid who scored an overtime goal to sink Chicago in game 3 of the '10 Finals in his first full year in the NHL.

This Giroux kid who followed that up with a couple of outstanding goals in the Flyers' 7-game nail biter against Buffalo in '11.

This Giroux kid who was absolutely dominant and the best player on the ice against Pittsburgh in the Flyers' 6-game series win.

This Giroux kid who, despite getting very limited help from anyone but Voracek, managed to go PPG against the Rangers this season.

Seriously, anyone blaming Giroux for losing this series has no brain.

Wow, kids a bust. But seriously, almost every other star player in the league has another star player to help them, giroux doesn't have that and is still third in scoring.

Edit: he also doesn't have any dedicated goal scorer

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
What would be playing well be for you then? 2 PPG and a +/- 10?

It's hard to claim that Giroux's play in the Rangers series was as good as it was during the regular season. He may have gotten points, but he didn't seem to influence the game like he normally does. I wouldn't use the word invisible, but I would say he was managed.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It's hard to claim that Giroux's play in the Rangers series was as good as it was during the regular season. He may have gotten points, but he didn't seem to influence the game like he normally does. I wouldn't use the word invisible, but I would say he was managed.

I don't think anyone is arguing that. He was contained. We see it year in and year out, a team's best players face extremely tough competition, thus falling largely on the shoulders of the team's depth to score. We've seen it with Joel Ward, Bryan Bickell, etic (insert name of depth forward who has a great playoff and gets a large payday.)

The Flyers depth just did not step up against the Rangers.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Ehh, you can't deny he didn't really have a great series. He certainly wasn't the biggest reason we lost, but he could have been better. Missing that open net in Game 7 is haunting.

Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad