Claude Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Giroux had 16 pts in 8 games that jagr missed. I know he missed 10 but i could only find 8 games.

So it wasnt jagr.

Of course it wasn't, great playoff performance 09/10, 75 points the next year, 93pts and monster playoffs with Jagr being extremely streaky, PPG last season.

He played like a little over 70 games with Jagr, and yet everybody credits him for all of Giroux success. Unbearable. (and i'm a huge Jagr fan)

Cuiff

Jul 11, 2002
Horsham (Philly)
Of course it wasn't, great playoff performance 09/10, 75 points the next year, 93pts and monster playoffs with Jagr being extremely streaky, PPG last season.

He played like a little over 70 games with Jagr, and yet everybody credits him for all of Giroux success. Unbearable. (and i'm a huge Jagr fan)

09\10 season is what G is. He is just under a point per game player who really does not make anyone better, sucks as a leader and is sitting fat on a nice large contract

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I understand the team sucks right now, the mistakes are coming in bunches they are trying to learn a new system and not fall back into Lavi's old system
It will turn around for Roo, I'm not worried about him, he's a great player who's team is in a funk right now
Ovie was written off last year, they said he was done and not elite any longer, and he turned it around something awesome, Roo will get back to being himself on the ice and making the moves, dekes, passes and plays we have all come to love
I got faith and love for the Captain

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I have a funny feeling that Roo and the Gang will explode against Edmonton when they play and finally shake this ugly play off of them. From there they will continue to play like a team possessed.

*cross your fingers, toes and eyes.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I have a funny feeling that Roo and the Gang will explode against Edmonton when they play and finally shake this ugly play off of them. From there they will continue to play like a team possessed.

*cross your fingers, toes and eyes.

I've been hoping that every time we see team's ****** backups. If we can only get one goal on Peters, Dubnyk is gonna shut us out :cry:

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Article about Giroux:

Flyers, goal-less Giroux still struggling

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-goal-less-Giroux-still-struggling-.html

After the story - there are a lot of comments from people. I agree with this guy's comments:

Giroux is not a superstar player.
Flyers pay him like he is an elite player, he is not the best player in hockey.
He has been cursed ever since that comment went into his mind.
He is a star player, but not a superstar like other teams top players.
Without Jagr he looks like a 2nd line center, not a superstar.
Maybe its not the loss of Jagr that is affecting him., but Lavi his biggest booster.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Giroux is not a superstar player.
Flyers pay him like he is an elite player, he is not the best player in hockey.
He has been cursed ever since that comment went into his mind.
He is a star player, but not a superstar like other teams top players.
Without Jagr he looks like a 2nd line center, not a superstar.
Maybe its not the loss of Jagr that is affecting him., but Lavi his biggest booster.

Funny, his production over the last three seasons would suggest otherwise. This is typical Philadelphia fan ********. A guy struggles for 15 games, so now we can completely discount all past achievements as pure coincidence. I can't possible fathom why any athlete would want to play in that dumpster fire of a city, or in front of their entitled fan base.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Its been rough...Hartnell is assist-less in 36 games, Giroux is goal-less in 19 games.

I mean, obviously those two stats are married to each other.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Richards' contract, while long, is a bargain at $5.75 million/year. Giroux's? Not so much?

Unfortunately, there are no more bargains to be had when discussing top players. Can't add a bunch of extra years to a contract to bring the cap down like they did with Richards.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
The problem with Giroux is his lack of aggressiveness. He's lost the "Forsbergness," that I hate everyone who isn't on my team mentality. He just needs to get his attitude and confidence straightened out, and just go full bore attack mode.

Has he even tried to level anyone yet this year?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The problem with Giroux is his lack of aggressiveness. He's lost the "Forsbergness," that I hate everyone who isn't on my team mentality. He just needs to get his attitude and confidence straightened out, and just go full bore attack mode.

Has he even tried to level anyone yet this year?

I've noticed this as well. He also doesn't engage in the offensive zone like he used to. It's almost like he's so concerned with his defensive positioning, that he forgot that his primary job is to score/create goals. There are far too many times where he's hanging up high in the offensive zone just waiting to go back on defense. He needs to start engaging more if he ever wants to get that aggressiveness back.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
I like Claude Giroux but am not sure any team would take his $8.25 million contract starting next year given his performance last year and so far this.

One would have thought that Laviolette, Holmgren and Snider would have thought that, given the Richards fiasco, that maybe they wait a few years for Giroux to mature before giving him the captaincy. I mean Timmonen was available for that role obviously through 20013-14; 2014 would have been fine for Giroux to become C. Don't know for sure but being captain of a team that's doing well is a different role than with a team that's doing poorly with no sign of improvement. It frustrated the hell out of Richards having to answer the same questions over and over with ultimately the same answers. Would be nice if for once, the captain said "look, we have a ****** team here and hopefully management will do something to improve our personnel" but that ain't gonna happen. So you're left with making excuses for management's poor decisions, you play poorly and the cycle continues.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think if Holmgren called every team in the NHL and offered Claude, every single team would listen intently. Christ, the guy has had a couple of rough weeks and all of the sudden no NHL team wants him?

Last years performance? He scored 49 pts in 48 games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Enough about this "without Jagr" BS. He had 47 points in 48 games last year without Jagr. That is not an incredible total by any means, but lets not pretend like Giroux was struggling without Jagr last year. He's having a down year, that is obvious. But let's not pretend like his career pre and post Jagr was nothingness. The year before Jagr he was just a shade under PPG and the year after he was as well. The extra ten points he got while Jagr was on the team is not some crazy total that shows Giroux isn't any good. There are still 70 games left. Giroux can still very easily hit that PPG mark this season. Relax.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Enough about this "without Jagr" BS. He had 47 points in 48 games last year without Jagr. That is not an incredible total by any means, but lets not pretend like Giroux was struggling without Jagr last year. He's having a down year, that is obvious. But let's not pretend like his career pre and post Jagr was nothingness. The year before Jagr he was just a shade under PPG and the year after he was as well. The extra ten points he got while Jagr was on the team is not some crazy total that shows Giroux isn't any good. There are still 70 games left. Giroux can still very easily hit that PPG mark this season. Relax.

Remember when Jagr helped all his teammates on Dallas score way above their average? And now on New Jersey?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I've noticed this as well. He also doesn't engage in the offensive zone like he used to. It's almost like he's so concerned with his defensive positioning, that he forgot that his primary job is to score/create goals. There are far too many times where he's hanging up high in the offensive zone just waiting to go back on defense. He needs to start engaging more if he ever wants to get that aggressiveness back.

I've noticed that too. I thought it might be due to Berube wanting everyone to be more responsible defensively. The problem is we need to score goals, and need our star player back.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It will come. I love the flyers line up. As long as Berube keeps Giroux on the wing with Vinny. Hopefully Holmgren doesn't do anything rash like trade Giroux.

I just wanted to dredge up the horrible past for a minute. It's ancient history now, but could not the Flyers have fit Richards, Carter, Giroux's big extention, and also a big defenseman, and a big goalie, under the cap? The kings are doing that basically. wth. That would have been, better by god. I guess the Briere and Pronger contracts pre-lockout ****ed them. Oh well.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I've noticed that too. I thought it might be due to Berube wanting everyone to be more responsible defensively. The problem is we need to score goals, and need our star player back.

I understand that the team as a whole wants to be responsible defensively, but at some point you're just pissing his talent away. You don't need 12 forwards in the Patrice Bergeron mold to be successful. Chicago would never asked Kane to temper his offensive push in favor of a more defensive approach, so why do it with Giroux? You put him with two way guys and allow his talent to take over. I'm fully in favor of putting Claude on Couturier's wing with Hartnell, and just telling him to go make things happen in the offensive zone.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Giroux is a big PPP guy...when the PP is struggling like it is, so is his production. He is definitely pressing, but he has also had a handful of beautiful set ups this year that his line-mates completely screwed up.

I would like to see him with Read and Vorecek. I remember in the 93 point season, a lot Gs points came on the rush. Right now, his line hasnt been entering the O zone with any kind of speed, so the defenders dont back off. Jagr is a player that naturally backs off the D men, but they dont have a player like that now. I think G, Voracek, and Read could really execute well on the rush by flying up the ice with speed...similar to the way crosby's line does it. That could open things up, and they would all have more time and space to make things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad