Claude Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I never doubted we have good players, the problem is they are playing like individuals and not a team. Is that the Captain's fault or is that a GM putting guys together that have little to no chemistry?

Russians during the Olympics played as individuals instead of a team but still scored ****ing goals and won games.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This team isn't hard to figure out. Laviolette's shelf-life ran out and the GM arbitrarily decided to keep him around for three regular season games before canning him, Berube had no training camp and is making piss-poor lineup decisions, Hartnell and Simmonds games have fallen off cliffs (both are which players that we need to produce in order for our offense to function properly), it's still not clear if Voracek broke out last season or not (leaning towards not), and our D is horribly mediocre as well as horribly constructed.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think that goes back to confidence. We have a team full of good players not playing as a team and not confident.

The problem is, playing some of the critical players, like Giroux, who are having huge confidence issues should be sat and be watch their team play. Make them realize what needs to happen, make them see how bad they are playing and to make them realize how bad they have been playing and how they can change it.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
The problem is, playing some of the critical players, like Giroux, who are having huge confidence issues should be sat and be watch their team play. Make them realize what needs to happen, make them see how bad they are playing and to make them realize how bad they have been playing and how they can change it.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Giroux in the pressbox, not necessarily to punish just him, but tell the entire team that this is their fault.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

The whole team minus Mason is pretty horrible in one way or another. Don't see how benching any given player to watch the rest of the team suck is going to make them improve all of a sudden. It's also not as if these players don't have downtime or discussions with coaches. It's also not like they aren't self-aware and don't know that they keep losing.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Looks like it will take another week or two of mediocre to bad play for Giroux to realize that he needs to hit his personal reset button and try something new to get going.

He has zero confidence and his plan seems to be to just weather the storm until it gets better again. But he should know by now that it won't get better if he can't spark his linemates. Elite players are supposed to do that kind of stuff, create something on their own sometimes.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think for our sake Giroux needs to be moved to wing.

I just don't think he is physical enough to be a center, and he is already a perimeter player already.

Giroux Schenn Simmer
Hartnell Coots Voracek
Read Vinny Downie

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
As a Canadian, I don't want G near the Olympic team. As a Flyers fan, I would strip him of the C. Trying him at wing might help.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
sticker,375x360.png

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
It's not just that Giroux has played himself off Team Canada but others have leapt over him. I feel bad for him, and I don't blame him for the way the team is playing, what kind of chemistry can they have when it's been nothing but a circus since the summer of 2012?

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
In my non-expert opinion it seems like Giroux stops moving his feet in the offensive zone and doesn't attack. Like someone said above, he's playing a perimeter game. There's no explosiveness to Giroux's game like there is with players like Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Malkin, etc. Now, it's probably unfair to compare Giroux to these players but he will be paid like a top player in this league and it's obvious he needs to perform much better.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
As a Canadian, I don't want G near the Olympic team. As a Flyers fan, I would strip him of the C. Trying him at wing might help.

:facepalm:

Strip him of the C because he is off to a bad start? Everyone needs to relax. Yes, this season looks disastrous, but rash decisions rarely fix anything. Stripping him of the captaincy is not going to make him play better, just like giving him the C didn't make him play worse. If he's not a good leader in the locker room and off the ice, then you strip him of the C (I have not heard any reports on this, so if there is any kind of issue with his leadership, then ok). If he isn't playing well on the ice, that is not something that should cost a player his captaincy.

Being a captain isn't being the leading scorer. The captain is the leader, the guy who sets the examples. Work ethic, leadership on and off the ice, etc. Points are great, and a lot of times the best producers wind up being the best leaders, but a rough start to a season shouldn't cost the guy the captaincy. If he's not upholding his duties in the locker room or setting bad examples, or the team doesn't respect him or whatever, then ok, get rid of the C, but don't do it because he only is scoring a point every other game pace.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Strip him of the C because he is off to a bad start? Everyone needs to relax. Yes, this season looks disastrous, but rash decisions rarely fix anything. Stripping him of the captaincy is not going to make him play better, just like giving him the C didn't make him play worse. If he's not a good leader in the locker room and off the ice, then you strip him of the C (I have not heard any reports on this, so if there is any kind of issue with his leadership, then ok). If he isn't playing well on the ice, that is not something that should cost a player his captaincy.

Being a captain isn't being the leading scorer. The captain is the leader, the guy who sets the examples. Work ethic, leadership on and off the ice, etc. Points are great, and a lot of times the best producers wind up being the best leaders, but a rough start to a season shouldn't cost the guy the captaincy. If he's not upholding his duties in the locker room or setting bad examples, or the team doesn't respect him or whatever, then ok, get rid of the C, but don't do it because he only is scoring a point every other game pace.

Well, it worked with Vinny in Tampa. Giroux's example on the ice has been horrid. He hustled more at the start of the year and now he looks completely lost. He is only a perimeter player now.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Berubes system blows. Everyone is skating around not aware of where they should be. It looks like we went back to Lavy's defensive zone system also. Defender throws the puck around the boards to the winger, winger puts puck in the center for who ever is centering the line. One major problem with this is team speed. Only certain Flyer forwards have the speed from being completely locked on the board to top speed quickly(read, voracek) It slows down the entire rush, and when that happens you have problems gaining access to the zone because they can step up on you. It's pathetic. I saw last night they were running 1-4 where our forechecker doesn't lay the body or even get near the puck quick enough to make the other player think where to go. That's why we can't keep the puck in the zone and get any type of offense going. It's unreal. Pretty sure I saw him change it up as well with 2 forecheckers in the third sometimes, even then they didn't make any plays. The forechecking is dreadful, make a hit, make them think, force turnovers, we aren't doing any of that.

It's not the captain of this team, it's the system, players not being appropriate for this system and the clear lack of confidence. The team plays like they are going to lose, when you do, you will lose.

I am never in favoring of stripping the captain of the C unless it's because of something dramatic, not because the team is performing poorly.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North

Pretty tough to strip a player of the C. Easier to trade him, Mike Richards being the most recent example.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
it's pretty simple Giroux always have someone on his wing to score goals
2010-2011 : Carter
2011-2012 : Hartnell
2012-2013 : Voracek

2013-2014: he's not playing that great and no one is steppting to play in that scoring role

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Article about Giroux:

Flyers, goal-less Giroux still struggling

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-goal-less-Giroux-still-struggling-.html

After the story - there are a lot of comments from people. I agree with this guy's comments:

Anyone that hated my comment about Giroux hear me out. When Jagr was on his line, he was productive. Jagr carried the puck in, kept it from defensemen, and bided time til Giroux was open. Then Giroux got a pass and scored a goal, or passed it to an open Hartnell/Voracek and they scored. The current coaching staff can't understand why Giroux can't carry the puck in, keep it away from defenders, and score a goal. They're asking too much of him. He's not a savior, he's an awesome piece to the puzzle that they don't know how to use. The Flyers' coaching staff are goons in an era that left goons behind. They are...clueless. And the whole thing makes me very sad, for the 39 years that I have been a fan. But I still believe. Go Flyers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad