Claude Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My point was that he needs to do more than put up points. He needs to motivate his teammates to perform like they can. That is why the C is on his sweater.

If the players choose to ignore him, that's not his problem.

Hence why that's the coach's job.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
If the players choose to ignore him, that's not his problem.

Hence why that's the coach's job.

If the players are ignoring their captain, then there is a big problem. They are not on the same page if that is happening. The turnaround is not going to be from the coaches or front office. It is going to come from a leader on the team holding his fellow players accountable and demanding more. What is Berube going to do? He has about 3-4 players who he can move around in the lineup. He can't bench guys or dress a different lineup. The roster spots are virtually set in stone save for a few guys...How does he get the message across when the majority know their spot is secure.

It has to come from the players.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Roo is getting better as we go along, i think he will start netting some, but overall in my view our BEST offensive player over the last few years is Matt Read . He has great jump, can finish and back checks very well. He is a real steal in my view .

I love Matt Read's game. I consider him as the 3rd or 4th most valuable forward on the team, but this is a bit of a reach considering what G and Voracheck have contributed.

If the players are ignoring their captain, then there is a big problem. They are not on the same page if that is happening. The turnaround is not going to be from the coaches or front office. It is going to come from a leader on the team holding his fellow players accountable and demanding more. What is Berube going to do? He has about 3-4 players who he can move around in the lineup. He can't bench guys or dress a different lineup. The roster spots are virtually set in stone save for a few guys...How does he get the message across when the majority know their spot is secure.

It has to come from the players.

I sort of agree with you, but sort of don't. If it isn't coming from the players, then the front office has to start moving people, the coach ahs to start sitting people in the press-box for under-performing.

That said, sometimes a roster just isn't good enough. Sometimes the issue is just a personnel/skillset issue.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Tired of the excuses by roo fans...0 goals is inexcusable for a star player. He's gotta start feeling the heat.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
G's slow start last year set the poor tone for the season. This year the same. Homer signed him a year too early. People that rip everyone else should start ripping the biggest problem right now.

MikeyB99

May 28, 2008
Langhorne, PA
Giroux is a great player when he has that other top end talent to play with. Alone, he's hit or miss. He needs a player that can either finish and/or create space for him by taking the full focus off of him. Jagr was great at puck possession and it allowed Giroux that space to create his magic. He needs that player to compliment his game, otheriwse teams are just going to be in his face all game.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
G's slow start last year set the poor tone for the season. This year the same. Homer signed him a year too early. People that rip everyone else should start ripping the biggest problem right now.

It's crazy how the 'star' player has 0 goals and everyone defends him. Giroux has been a massive disappointment this year and anyone who doesn't agree is in complete denial.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him traded..... and the Flyers rebuilding their core AGAIN.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him traded..... and the Flyers rebuilding their core AGAIN.

Yea I mean if these are his true colors then we need to trade him or else deal with. 8 mill dollar player for the next 8 years. He is worth a lot but that will obvi decrease going fwd. not sayin I would trade him but now would be the best time. We would get a significant return and it's worth at least thinking about it.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That Giroux contract is looking bad, but I really don't want to trade him at all.

Consider paying a 60 pt player 8 mill a year. Aka Crosby/Malkin money. It may not be worth taking that kind of risk. Could be lethal to this franchise. On the others and we all know g cares a lot and goes through these things when he gets in his own head. He very well may actually be that 90pt guy

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
It's not Giroux's job to motivate anyone. It's each individual player's responsibility to get himself motivated every time he steps out onto the ice. If anything it's more of a coaching responsibilty to get the team focused. Giroux's job is to lead by example in all facets of the game, not just scoring.

I disagree with this post. It is his job to lead by example but also to motivate his teammates. Like I said in another thread.

This team has no passion or any life at all. It starts with the man with the big C on his jersey. He has no passion and no life in him and it shows....

Pity him because he hasn't scored. He should be telling his teammates to stop passing the puck back through 2 defensemen to give him a shot on net when they have a clear shot on net themselves.

He needs to lead by example with his hard work and no matter what you say, he is not showing his hard hard.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I love Matt Read's game. I consider him as the 3rd or 4th most valuable forward on the team, but this is a bit of a reach considering what G and Voracheck have contributed.

Read played terrible tonight except for the very end. Therefore I hold back on how much praise you are giving him.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Giroux is a players captain like Richards before him......you need the right kind of coach for players like that. The Messier type Captain that would send a message to other teammates on and off the ice when they weren't cutting it are a rare breed. Pronger and Primeau were of that mold. Smith was too but he was broken down. Right now they need a very strong personality in that room....they are all friends that get along and wear bunny suits off the ice but they need to start holding each other accountable on the ice and leading by example and yes Giroux is the first place to look...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There was no good reason for Holmgren to sign him to a bloated AAV this summer when he was still going to be an RFA after 13-14. A smarter GM would have let this season play out, and then he could have signed Giroux at a much lower price.

Cuiff

Jul 11, 2002
Horsham (Philly)
There was no good reason for Holmgren to sign him to a bloated AAV this summer when he was still going to be an RFA after 13-14. A smarter GM would have let this season play out, and then he could have signed Giroux at a much lower price.
Be careful. You will upset these delusional G supporters.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
The player has a bad 10 ish games, so everything he has done in 200+ games dissapears?

Don't get me wrong, I am dissapointed by him this year, but these trade and "he sucks, we are stuck with his contract blabla" talks are simply Pejorative Slured. If he does suck for the full year, then maybe we can start talking about things like this, but 10 games? Come on.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
The player has a bad 10 ish games, so everything he has done in 200+ games dissapears?

Don't get me wrong, I am dissapointed by him this year, but these trade and "he sucks, we are stuck with his contract blabla" talks are simply Pejorative Slured. If he does suck for the full year, then maybe we can start talking about things like this, but 10 games? Come on.

When the Flyers are sucking as bad as they are now, all rational thought and logic goes out the window with this fanbase. But if he's traded and ends up doing well somewhere else, they'll act like they never wanted him gone.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Are people really talking about trading G?
Yeah he's off to a ****** start but really?
The Flyers would trade him and he would go off and beast the Flyers everytime he played them

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Are people really talking about trading G?
Yeah he's off to a ****** start but really?
The Flyers would trade him and he would go off and beast the Flyers everytime he played them

Then the same people who want him traded now will say "why did the Flyers trade him, they're so impatient!" when he heats up again.

Giroux seems to have lost all confidence and with out that confidence he's lacking the creativity that makes him a special player. I think those forced shots on the PP last night show that exactly.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Giroux won't be traded. Hell will freeze over first!

His new contract is bloated and looks even worse because in fact Holmgren re-signed him when most of us thought that his value could never be lower after missing the playoffs and a pretty rough shortened season. They should have gotten some sort of discount or delayed negotiations when it became clear where this was headed but instead chose to make this quick to lock down what they thought was the main cornerstone of the franchise.
Giroux got 9 more seasons to show what he is made of and what it takes to wear the C on an orange and black sweater. He better start now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad