Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux has turned into a perennial MVP candidate.

Deadhead: Well it's because everybody else is doing it for him.

Giroux has come in 3rd once, 4th twice, and 16th in ten seasons in Hart voting.
So not quite a "perennial MVP candidate."

But he's not alone,
JT: 3rd twice, 13th, 18th
Kane: 1st, 6th twice, 7th
Kopitar: 3rd, 8th twice, 17th
Doughty: 11th, 15th, 17th twice
Toews: 4th, 6th, 9th, 10th
Bergeron: 5th, 17th twice, 18th

Elliott was 15th in 2011-12.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Giroux has come in 3rd once, 4th twice, and 16th in ten seasons in Hart voting.
So not quite a "perennial MVP candidate."

But he's not alone,
JT: 3rd twice, 13th, 18th
Kane: 1st, 6th twice, 7th
Kopitar: 3rd, 8th twice, 17th
Doughty: 11th, 15th, 17th twice
Toews: 4th, 6th, 9th, 10th
Bergeron: 5th, 17th twice, 18th

Elliott was 15th in 2011-12.

Was more or less speaking about last year (which he probably should've been Top 2), and looking again to be in the race again, which is why I stated "turned into."

I'm well aware that before last year, Giroux had a few average to above average seasons.

But hey man, you do you, the guy will probably finish with the weakest 1,000 points a Flyers player has ever scored.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Elite player.

He will be third best a Flyer of all-time.

Yes... even when you factor in longevity and go to per Game Stats, his numbers sparkle... and Longevity really IMO comes into play with gauging All-Time Players, as it is tough to go an extended period at a high pace... and earn extended time with a Team... and when you realize the injuries that are played through, and how they factor into Stats.

Giroux has climbed into Rare-Air... past such great Flyers as Macliesh, Propp, Lindros, Leclair, Kerr, Recchi, Brindy, Howe (albeit a D-Man)... and in some cases even Barber... Continued great play and he should be the #2 Forward in Flyers History... and honestly challenging the Great Clarke in Total Points to some degree... He should fall short on Total Points and Assists (Clarke) and quite a bit short in Goals (Barber) but other than that, he should be above all the greats in so many key categories... I won't go into adjusted Stats which actually bumps G up there even more, and has him challenging Clarke.

In watching Giroux climb up the Lists, I have actually come to appreciate the Players he passes... especially Propp whose career I tended to forget was so stellar. [/RAMBLE]

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Top 2 in scoring this decade.
Top 2 last 8 years
Top 4 last 7 years
Top 4 last 6 years
Top 9 last 5 years
Top 10 last 4 years
Top 8 last 3 years
Top 2 last 2 years
7th in scoring this year

Has 3 top 3 finishes in scoring. Only Sid has that or more.
Has 3 top 4 in Hart finishes. Only Sid has that or more

Only 6 times has anyone PASSED the 100 point mark this decade. And no one has done it twice. McDavid, Sid, Malkin, Kane, D.Sedin, and Giroux. Not bad company.

Of the top 15 scoring seasons in points this decade, Giroux has 2 of them. Only Malkin and McDavid have 2 as well. Yup, Sid only has 1 along with a few others. Not bad company.

Of the top 30 scoring seasons in points this decade, Giroux has 3 of them. Only Sid and Stamkos has 3 as well. Again, not bad company.

And just to sum up how underrated he is, for All Star Team voting this past year, he was voted:

5th at C
2nd at LW
6th at RW

....by people PAID to watch and report on hockey. The f***ing professionals don't even know what position he plays for god's sake.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Top 2 in scoring this decade.
Top 2 last 8 years
Top 4 last 7 years
Top 4 last 6 years
Top 9 last 5 years
Top 10 last 4 years
Top 8 last 3 years
Top 2 last 2 years
7th in scoring this year

Has 3 top 3 finishes in scoring. Only Sid has that or more.
Has 3 top 4 in Hart finishes. Only Sid has that or more

Only 6 times has anyone PASSED the 100 point mark this decade. And no one has done it twice. McDavid, Sid, Malkin, Kane, D.Sedin, and Giroux. Not bad company.

Of the top 15 scoring seasons in points this decade, Giroux has 2 of them. Only Malkin and McDavid have 2 as well. Yup, Sid only has 1 along with a few others. Not bad company.

Of the top 30 scoring seasons in points this decade, Giroux has 3 of them. Only Sid and Stamkos has 3 as well. Again, not bad company.

And just to sum up how underrated he is, for All Star Team voting this past year, he was voted:

5th at C
2nd at LW
6th at RW

....by people PAID to watch and report on hockey. The ****ing professionals don't even know what position he plays for god's sake.
But what about +/-? Why did you leave out the most important stat?

He was robbed as a finalist last season. Absolutely horrible that he did not finish in the top 3.

He should have been 1st or 2nd last year.

It should have been McDavid, but if they want to DQ anyone who didn’t make the playoffs (which I think is dumb), then Giroux was the next best.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But what about +/-? Why did you leave out the most important stat?

He should have been 1st or 2nd last year.

It should have been McDavid, but if they want to DQ anyone who didn’t make the playoffs (which I think is dumb), then Giroux was the next best.
It's crazy that someone can be:

Top 3 in scoring 3 times
top 4 in Hart voting 3 times

....in the last 7 years, and STILL not be appreciated.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's crazy that someone can be:

Top 3 in scoring 3 times
top 4 in Hart voting 3 times

....in the last 7 years, and STILL not be appreciated.
When his scoring suffered because he was 1) playing injured and then 2) still wasn’t recovered the next year, the narrative was that it was because of an age related decline.

Many people argued against that and said it wasn’t him declining but they refused to hear it.

Now that the narrative has been proven wrong, some people simply can’t admit they were wrong and will continue to insist he’s declining, despite the absurd amount of evidence to the contrary (both statistical and visual).

It’s an ego problem.

But even past that, he’s never been properly appreciated by many. Both in the Flyers fanbase and around the league.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When his scoring suffered because he was 1) playing injured and then 2) still wasn’t recovered the next year, the narrative was that it was because of an age related decline.

Many people argued against that and said it wasn’t him declining but they refused to hear it.

Now that the narrative has been proven wrong, some people simply can’t admit they were wrong and will continue to insist he’s declining, despite the absurd amount of evidence to the contrary (both statistical and visual).

It’s an ego problem.

But even past that, he’s never been properly appreciated by many. Both in the Flyers fanbase and around the league.
Maybe those people should have watched this to see that a bounceback was likely. His skills went nowhere.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe those people should have watched this to see that a bounceback was likely. His skills went nowhere.

Yup.

I know there were a few who were hardcore into saying it was a decline, many who didn’t really say much, some who were hopeful but unsure, and a small few of us who were extremely vocal and confident he was going to bounce back.

I should go back and retrieve some of the posts from a specific thread where someone was so adamant arguing with me about it. :laugh:

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
The problem is that people only looked at his stats, and only the first digit of his points. They see 8, 7, 6, 5 and assume that he is on a steep decline, missing the fact that had he not missed those 4 games in 15/16 he likely would have had 70 points again. That looks far better to people who arent paying attention, they see that he has slowed down a little, but still see that 16/17 was a complete outlier and not indicative of his future.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Giroux will go down as probably the 3rd best player in the history of the Flyers: Clarke, Parent, Giroux.

Should get his name on the Flyers Hall of Fame, I would argue retired # as well, but I think it's possible it might go unofficially unretired like Lindros.

Not bad for a #22 overall pick.

Reactions: AdamParrot

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think Giroux makes the Hall and if he signs another contract with the Flyers after this one and retires with the team I think his number is retired. He deserves both. It would be incredible weird to see anyone else wear 28.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Giroux makes the Hall and if he signs another contract with the Flyers after this one and retires with the team I think his number is retired. He deserves both. It would be incredible weird to see anyone else wear 28.

I don't think the Hall of Fame is in his future, unless he keeps shitting out 100 pt seasons until he's 35. I just don't see that happening though.

He's been underrated his whole career, I don't see a bunch of old suits sitting around a table talking about him with grace. They'll bring up no cups, they'll bring up no MVPs, they'll bring up no trophy's.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Giroux will go down as probably the 3rd best player in the history of the Flyers: Clarke, Parent, Giroux.

Should get his name on the Flyers Hall of Fame, I would argue retired # as well, but I think it's possible it might go unofficially unretired like Lindros.

Not bad for a #22 overall pick.

Lindros' # is officially retired now

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don't think the Hall of Fame is in his future, unless he keeps ****ting out 100 pt seasons until he's 35. I just don't see that happening though.

He's been underrated his whole career, I don't see a bunch of old suits sitting around a table talking about him with grace. They'll bring up no cups, they'll bring up no MVPs, they'll bring up no trophy's.
As much as we like to talk about him being underrated it doesn't mean they don't know he's a superstar. If he's been in the top 4 in Hart voting 3 times he's obviously getting recognition, we just think he should be a spot or two higher. Everyone knows his spot in the point totals this decade, everyone knows his top 10 scoring finishes, everyone knows his Hart finishes. He may not be a first ballot guy but if he gets to 1,000 points at around 1,100 games that's going to be hard to deny in such a low scoring era. He's going to be one of those guys that people appreciate more when he retires.

Reactions: Appleyard

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Lindros' # is officially retired now

lol. I know, I was there.

But it took, what? 14 years to do it? I'm thinking that since the Flyers don't do anything quickly (example Mark Howe), Giroux's number might just not be worn.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux is his own worst enemy when it comes to recognition.
Since he lacks size and great speed, he can't physically take over games.
So his contribution is more subtle, he's a great playmaker.
But over the years Giroux has passed up on too many good shots, and that suppressed his goal totals.
Last year was the first time he had 30+ goals (28 twice, 25 twice), if he shot more he'd have 3 or 4 30+ goal seasons.

He's not the same player he was at 22-26, just look at those playoffs v last season.
You can say the same for Crosby (19-26), Malkin (21-25) and Ovechkin (22-24) as well.
Playing LW, and with Couts has extended his career (the highly productive years) and that may get him into the HOF.
That's the key with top players as they age, have enough talent so you don't ask them to carry the same load as they did in their physical peak.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
What Giroux has managed to accomplish with what little help he has had is pretty remarkable. I have a difficult time not seeing him be the 3rd best player in Flyers history when he retires. And, if we somehow miraculously win a cup and G pulls in a Hart trophy, I don't think calling him #2 is that ludicrous.

Reactions: VladDrag

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
lol. I know, I was there.

But it took, what? 14 years to do it? I'm thinking that since the Flyers don't do anything quickly (example Mark Howe), Giroux's number might just not be worn.

Provided his career ends normally, I feel that his number will be retired on his last regular season home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig