Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What seems to drive success on the PP has been less how well Giroux has played, than how well and how deep the goal scorers were on the PP - in a sense, it's more of a group effort than 5x5 play.

Save the Moby Dick pictures. I got your aquatic picture right here.

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How is ranking Giroux 6-20 among NHL forwards "hating." He's ranked between 15-20 among the best players in the NHL by two different sites this offseason.

Or are you required to slobber over hometown players to be a "real fan."

Of course, I happen to think Couts is already the better player, but I guess I get no brownie points for "Couts love."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
>I’m not underrating Giroux

>Giroux isn’t even the best player on his team

Pick one. :laugh:

I'm being objective about Giroux, Couts has been playing at a high level for three years and is the most valuable player on the Flyers, he's their best defensive forward, their best PK guy, has shown the ability to score on the PP, and it's not an accident that Giroux bounced back when he was put on Couts' LW, everyone plays better with Couts.

Couts is up there with Kopitar and Toews, just has to stay healthy for a full season again - durability is his only knock.

Patrick will be better than Couts in a couple years, once he fills out and learns what he's doing, very similar style of play but he's more skilled and athletic.

Which is not a bad situation for a team to be in.
My listing of the best Flyer players right now:

Couts - Giroux - Provorov - Ghost - TK - JVR - Voracek - Patrick - Lindblom - Simmonds - Sanheim - Gudas - Raffl - Laughton

I expect Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim to make a push up the ranks by the end of the season.
When they add Myers, Frost, Vorobyev and whoever else graduates from the AHL this year, this team will finally have the depth to compete with the big boys.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can't ignore stopping points either.
Defense is part of the game, harder to quantify, but just as important.
The team that scores the most doesn't get the Cup, the team that outscores its opponents does.

Reactions: hatcher

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Dear Jake,

Since you're probably reading this, would you please let Claude know how much we love him. Also, please let him know that he's a great captain. And maybe remind him not to touch the butts of others.

Thanks for your time,
A Flyers Fan

Reactions: Amorgus and kudymen

Roy Batty

Oct 19, 2018
southern ontario
Giroux is a top 10 player in the league,,he was absolutely snubbed last year in Hart trophy race...Kopitar? Seriously...Giroux had a comeback due to moving from center to wing,,opened up his game...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux looks better because Couts is playing better, that line was being dominated for a while as Couts struggled with the knee. Couts shows you that you can compensate to some extent for a lack of speed with strength and smarts, but Strome still has to learn to skate.

One thing I've noticed, the changes in the game have impact Giroux in subtle ways.
Over the last five or so years, the NHL has gotten faster, not so much the top end but the disappearance of slugs, so that everyone is now a decent skater. This has reduced the margin for error.

Moving to LW has protected Giroux, but he seems to have more "reaching" stick penalties and gets pressured into turnovers more than he used to a few years ago, less clean ice available these days. He's been able to adjust at LW b/c he doesn't skate 200 feet and can lay back and let TK chase the puck and Provorov/Ghost bring it up. His role is more of a play maker than a play driver these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad