Confirmed with Link: Claude Canned, All Clode Discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I took a completely different message away from Sweeney personally. The exact opposite actually. Sweeney actually said he was not willing to sacrifice young talent for high end rentals. I would be surprised to see the B's add at the deadline unless it's a younger guy with term (or someone they know they can resign).

Yes, I too believe that is Sweeney's intention, as it has been all along. I was simply replying to the post about fear of an impulse trade and all those who demand a trade to win 'now.'

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
i never understood the reasoning behind "another team will hire him! thus he shouldn't be fired from our team." and it's not just in hockey. good for the coach/manager, but just because he might work better somewhere else isn't a reason to keep him around if he isn't working here.

System hockey just followed Claude out the back door. Expansion team would be wise to employ Claude's old school style and the built-in instant street cred. Myself, I've wanted to join the more modern world for a while now. Thanks for the memories Claude.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Listening to Sweeney is nauseating. Like listening a politician or to Kellyann Conway....trite sound bites, deflective, answers without giving answers.

Scheduling this thing for 11:30 was a total di*k move - to the journalists in the room, and to Boston sports fans. And it was no accident, it was calculated. They just miscalculated badly.

I'm 180 degrees away.

Liked what Sweeney said. Don't think there will be any panic moves and the long term vision of primarily building through the draft remains intact. Only issue I have with any of this is that Cam and Charlie should have been present.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just write the firing of Claude off as another bad decision by the franchise. They have made some real jackass moves over the last few years. Becoming the laughing stock of the league. Remember when everyone laughed at Toronto in the Kessel deal? Bruins just fired the best thing they had going for them.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Finally Sweeney delivered. A year too late in my opinion. Thanks Clode for the cup in 2011 but Tim Thomas deserves more credit than you. Since that time we've seen a lot of questionable coaching moves and a flat team on a lot of nights. You will be missed but your tenure was too long and the team looked too comfortable.

My thoughts exactly! Without TT , Clode would have been here for 0 Stanley Cups!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
No, don't get me wrong. This is not about loving Claude. One can argue he needs to go.

This is about despising the lack of class and professionalism in ownership and management of this team. Jacobs needs to go, Neely needs to go, and Sinden needs to go. Until then, the kind of leadership and class we see from Patriots top to bottom is nothing but a fantasy for Bruins.

Hell, even when we won the Cup, that abject fool Jacobs couldn't help but take a dig at Neely on the stage.

Guy is an ass. I wan't him gone and could live through drastic disappointments (Habs and Cup) if it facilitated that.

Hear, hear.

Coaches are hired to be fired although I've never liked it when a team scapegoats a coach in order to cover the @$$es of the @$$es that built the team.

When the new Bruins management team was announced I was willing to wait & see what they did before praising or criticizing. Well I have seen all I need to see and heard all I need to hear. First the new GM lets the coach twist in the wind for a few weeks before making up his mind whether to keep or can him. Not only did I think that was a classless way to treat someone it smacked of unprofessionalism too- didn't the guy have a clue as to who he wanted to coach the team??? Then we have the deals for/signings of Stempniak, Liles, Hayes, Hamilton, Belesky, Nash & Backes and the re-signings of Adam McQuaid & Kevan Miller who are basically the same player (I would like the Backes deal if it was shorter). Basically mediocre to bad moves here. Sweeney has done an excellent job rebuilding the amateur scouting & drafting and I look forward to seeing some of these guys wearing the Spoked B someday. Maybe. However nothing was done to strengthen the defense which has been decimated since the Boychuk deal. He got lucky that Brandon Carlo stepped up but he's not enough, something everybody on this board recognized when the team broke camp last October. Nearly six months later and there is still no help on the blue line.

Today was the final straw though. You want to fire the coach OK fire him. But don't try to do it under the radar in the hopes nobody will notice it all that much. The way this firing announcement was set up is such a total dick move even a blind person can see it. It further damages management credibility. WTF will want to come here now after seeing this **** show? I don't care how much $ they throw at someone. People don't want just money they want a decent place to work in and competent people to work for. They won't find the latter in Boston.

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
But then, and in Sweeney's defense, it's perplexing that say, he gives him a player nominated for a Selke in Backes, and then Claude turns around and tries to make him into Milan Lucic 2.0. Now Backes has played wing before and been effective, even as recently as last-years playoffs, it's just that's it's easier to put a guy in the middle if he can play there, and move him to the wing as the game dictates, than the other way around. Julien's gameplan was built around top two-way centers and he gets one and doesn't use him? Perplexing.

The use of Backes has been a bit perplexing considering, as you said, Julien's affinity for good two-way pivots and the fact that he loved having a deep lineup he could roll. This year, they got away from that, stacking the top6... Why? Where did that change come from?

In Cassidy's interview, he also said he plans to keep Backes at wing for the time being.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
well- time will tell on this one for sure.
But I honestly think we will play better for the remainder of the season and make the playoffs. Just a hunch.

I remember the Devils fired claude in like March one year and they ended up winning the Cup

They did not win the cup. It was ****** move and they were rewarded accordingly.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Could care less it happen on Parade day, just glad it happened . Two years to late in my view and to all those who say he helped bad players play over their heads? how will we ever know that?

It going to be funny if they win the next three without being coached up.

Best line of the day is when DS said something like the "reporters" where mad because they wanted to go to the parade. I don't doubt that for a minute

And why Im at it Shut the **** UP Zolak and put Brady's jersey back. I dont care about your opinion or what you have to say about the sport of Hockey or the Boston Bruins.

Now at least there is change going on lets see where it goes

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I'm 180 degrees away.

Liked what Sweeney said. Don't think there will be any panic moves and the long term vision of primarily building through the draft remains intact. Only issue I have with any of this is that Cam and Charlie should have been present.

I liked what he said as well. I like his long term goals, he just needs to stop trying to do both. I truly think he gave Claude mostly the team he wanted by signing Backes, Nash, Moore, and K Miller. These are definitely a better forward defensive group than the previous year. I think Sweeney basically said do it your way but if I feel its not working then I have to make a change. They hit a ceiling that seems consistent the last three years and now the change is coming.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
System hockey just followed Claude out the back door. Expansion team would be wise to employ Claude's old school style and the built-in instant street cred. Myself, I've wanted to join the more modern world for a while now. Thanks for the memories Claude.

You should start by learning about hockey systems. Then you might be qualified to comment on them.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
The use of Backes has been a bit perplexing considering, as you said, Julien's affinity for good two-way pivots and the fact that he loved having a deep lineup he could roll. This year, they got away from that, stacking the top6... Why? Where did that change come from?

In Cassidy's interview, he also said he plans to keep Backes at wing for the time being.

agree CJ has always been about spreading his players to every line and if it was 100% up to him I am fairly sure Backes would have been the 3rd line center all year. I think he was told to stack the top two lines and try to up the offense by the front office going away from the type of set up we have seen over his last 10 years here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He did.

Backes played C at practice.

But in a game situation, right here, right now, if Backes isn't comfortable there yet, best of using him as a winger, rather than toss him in the fire.

They have 6 days, then a 6 day vacation, followed by a 9 day trip. Give Backes some time in practice in the middle, and slowly get him up to speed in the middle. But for Game 1 of the Cassidy era, best off keeping him on the wing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Wasn't this already covered by Backes himself when he said he didn't feel comfortable enough in Claude's system yet to play center? I mean, I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but the inference that Claude was using a guy like Backes in a different role as mandated from up high seems a little far fetched, no? Especially since the rumors of them firing or wanting to fire Claude have been swirling all year. If anything, because of those rumors, Claude would have felt empowered to do whatever he saw fit, since they were ultimately going to fire him anyway, no?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
A reason exists wny it took 39 years to finally win another cup..and he's still here.

Oh yeah. That's a fact.

Now, if you're the Krafts, are you pissed with the timing?

Does this cast a shadow over the day for even ten percent of Patriots fans?

I'll bet the Krafts probably had no idea, and if they did, I'm certain they could not have cared any less. The Patriots are the undisputed overlords of Boston sports, having surpassed even the Red Sox. The Bruins are FIRMLY entrenched at number four behind the Patriots, Red Sox, and Celtics.

I hate to say it, but the Bruins are irrelevant.

The only reason this bothers me is that Claude Julien is a good man and deserved far better treatment for all he did for the Bruins. Honestly, if I had the talent to play or coach in the NHL, I would look elsewhere for a place to play.

This in no way diminished ANY of my enjoyment of the Patriots parade and rally. What did I miss at the Bruins presser? I'm mildly curious.

They haven't played since the weekend... zero excuse.

Bruins = school in July. No class.

If I were Bob Kraft I would consider this lacking class.

However, I'm sure that this is like a tiny mite on Kraft's shoulder.

No that it's not lacking class, just that the Patriots are supremely relevant and the Bruins are totally irrelevant.

I bet this wasn't a blip on Kraft's radar.

Jack said some people are likening the timing to Irsay moving the Colts in the middle of the night.

This isn't even in the same universe as that.

All I can say is least now the real issues have nothing left to hide behind.Claude should be happy away from this mess.No coach could win with what Don Sweeney builds

Yup!

I hope Claude goes to the Habs and I hope he wins a Cup with them. As painful as that would be, maybe just maybe it would cause Jacobs so much embarrassment that he'd sell and take sad sack Harry Sinden with him.

What?

Two things:

1. No right-minded Bruins wants the Montreal Canadiens to win ANYTHING. EVER. Regardless of circumstances.

2. Jeremy Jacobs is impervious to embarrassment. He just doesn't care. He never sells that team and he will own the Bruins until the day he dies. Maybe Chuckie sells the team, someday, but J.J. won't.

I'm done with the Bruins for a while. I was on hiatus for a few years, and I think my free time and energy would be better spent on other things. I stopped spending my dollars on this team a few years ago, but the miniscule time I've been spending on this sad-sack organization will go elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad