Confirmed with Link: Claude Canned, All Clode Discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
They all seemed to have promising careers ahead looking at their Providence numbers.

Basically there are two players in the entire world that can play center for Claude and actually contribute offensively. Bergeron and Krejci.

How exactly are the Providence centers supposed to ever play for the big boys and develop under Claude if they have Bergy and Krejci ahead of them? And then they sign Backes to supposedly play center? And then the other 52 centers Sweeney brought in last offseason?

Clearly Claude's fault.

All I kept hearing last spring/summer was how deep we were at center and how desperately we needed defense. What did Sweeney do? Signed a bunch of centermen and ZERO top 4 defensemen.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Exactly - If Sweeney is using the crack Bruins PR department as an excuse I question is own management skills.

BTW by letting Sweeney address the media by himself it takes Cam of the hook and if Cassidy fails badly Sweeney will be gone and Cam stays.

Disagree here.

Cam was never a fan of Clode's, and he wanted Chia gone as well. Sweeney has been consistent in his message of restocking the pipeline and bringing youth in. The next head to roll will be Cam's IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
How exactly are the Providence centers supposed to ever play for the big boys and develop under Claude if they have Bergy and Krejci ahead of them? And then they sign Backes to supposedly play center? And then the other 52 centers Sweeney brought in last offseason?

Clearly Claude's fault.

Whose "fault" was it that the defensive 4th line was prominently featured late in games when the B's were down and needed offense and goals??

May 29, 2013
Finally Sweeney delivered. A year too late in my opinion. Thanks Clode for the cup in 2011 but Tim Thomas deserves more credit than you. Since that time we've seen a lot of questionable coaching moves and a flat team on a lot of nights. You will be missed but your tenure was too long and the team looked too comfortable.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Clearly Claude's fault.

All I kept hearing last spring/summer was how deep we were at center and how desperately we needed defense. What did Sweeney do? Signed a bunch of centermen and ZERO top 4 defensemen.

Who said we were strong at center?

They also offered Demers more money than he signed for.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yeah, there's plenty of blame to go around.

Most of us have had issues with Claude in one form or another, whether it be line-up decisions, benchings, strategy, giving players a day off after a lackluster performance, etc.

Most of us have had issues with management, trades, non-trades, FA signings, hirings, firings, etc.

I think Claude is the best Bruin's coach in my lifetime, bit I don't think he's perfect and I understand that all coaches have a shelf life.

Me, I think Sweeney deserves another 2 years to see if he does in fact have a plan, and if that plan will be successful if allowed to come to fruition.

As for Sweeney's superiors....my mother taught me that if I have nothing nice to say.....

Two more years ?.He is not going to make it that far if continues the way he has .He is vulnerable and exposed now with no Claude to blame.He better work fast and alot more smarter

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Whose "fault" was it that the defensive 4th line was prominently featured late in games when the B's were down and needed offense and goals??

Different argument entirely, but I'll play. When you have ONE scoring line, they can't be expected to play the entire last 5 minutes of every game. They need a rest once in awhile. Were some of the line choices questionable? You bet. But I have yet to see any other coach in the league not have similar questions brought up after losses. They're all human and make questionable decisions that may look dumb to outsiders.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Question:

Is it normal that the Prez of a team normally show up at a presser announcement about a coach firing? it seems to me it is usually the GM doing the yakking but I don't really recall a Prez talking too....maybe they do, but I'm not sure

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Disagree here.

Cam was never a fan of Clode's, and he wanted Chia gone as well. Sweeney has been consistent in his message of restocking the pipeline and bringing youth in. The next head to roll will be Cam's IMO.

Yet, wasted picks on Stempniak, Liles; brought back McQuaid. K.Miller, Liles; sign Backes...Yeah, it's a clear message.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
BD, I have had this discussion before many times outside of HF with some of my hockey buds (at an unspecified Olive Garden). My personal feeling is that Sweeney respected Clode as a coach and was hoping that they could come to a common ground where Clode would be flexible enough to incorporate some of the things that he wanted while remaining true to his core beliefs. As Brinkley said, I think Sweeney came to the conclusion that wasn't going to happen and that the team was not going to evolve any further under Julien. Should he have realized this after last year's collapse down the stretch. Maybe and it's a fair question to ask.

Mike, I have said all along that I felt that McQ and Killer were redundant and one or the other should not have been brought back. I agree that it's like having an open bar at an AA meeting and I'm not sure what the reasoning was here? I'm speculating that the philosophical differences were always there, but that Sweeney hoped that Julien would be flexible enough to work out. In hindsight it was the wrong decision and Sweeney probably should have known it wouldn't work out.

That's a fair assessment.

It goes back to something many of us here have said, and you touch on it with McQuaid and Kevan. There was a fine middle ground with Sweeney giving Claude some of the pieces he feels he needs to win, and being able to incorporate younger less Claude-like players into the line-up.

But then, and in Sweeney's defense, it's perplexing that say, he gives him a player nominated for a Selke in Backes, and then Claude turns around and tries to make him into Milan Lucic 2.0. Now Backes has played wing before and been effective, even as recently as last-years playoffs, it's just that's it's easier to put a guy in the middle if he can play there, and move him to the wing as the game dictates, than the other way around. Julien's gameplan was built around top two-way centers and he gets one and doesn't use him? Perplexing.

Go back to Colin Miller. I beat the Colin Miller drum to death early in the season. He was playing well on that 3rd puck-moving pair. And brought an element in terms of puck-retrieval and transition they weren't really getting with Krug's early struggles coming off surgery. He was getting better, and gaining confidence.

Then Kevan Miller comes back, and it's back to the same-old-same-old.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Don't care what they think, it was time for a change,
Looking forward to picking 3rd this year

Agreed.

I don't think this was primarily about being better this year (added bonus). I think that Sweeney felt the team had reached it's ceiling under CJ and it was time for a change with the future primarily the focus. The B's probably hope the best case scenario is something like what happened with CLS last year and with TB the year they drafted Drouin.

Top 5 draft pick and a return to the playoffs the following year.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
i never understood the reasoning behind "another team will hire him! thus he shouldn't be fired from our team." and it's not just in hockey. good for the coach/manager, but just because he might work better somewhere else isn't a reason to keep him around if he isn't working here.

So very true.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That's a fair assessment.

It goes back to something many of us here have said, and you touch on it with McQuaid and Kevan. There was a fine middle ground with Sweeney giving Claude some of the pieces he feels he needs to win, and being able to incorporate younger less Claude-like players into the line-up.

But then, and in Sweeney's defense, it's perplexing that say, he gives him a player nominated for a Selke in Backes, and then Claude turns around and tries to make him into Milan Lucic 2.0. Now Backes has played wing before and been effective, even as recently as last-years playoffs, it's just that's it's easier to put a guy in the middle if he can play there, and move him to the wing as the game dictates, than the other way around. Julien's gameplan was built around top two-way centers and he gets one and doesn't use him? Perplexing.

Go back to Colin Miller. I beat the Colin Miller drum to death early in the season. He was playing well on that 3rd puck-moving pair. And brought an element in terms of puck-retrieval and transition they weren't really getting with Krug's early struggles coming off surgery. He was getting better, and gaining confidence.

Then Kevan Miller comes back, and it's back to the same-old-same-old.

Wrong guy to talk to that about. I have been beating the Colin Miller drum for almost two seasons.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Finally Sweeney delivered. A year too late in my opinion. Thanks Clode for the cup in 2011 but Tim Thomas deserves more credit than you. Since that time we've seen a lot of questionable coaching moves and a flat team on a lot of nights. You will be missed but your tenure was too long and the team looked too comfortable.

That is all good and well but I will sit back and watch five coaches and four gms roll through here in the next eight years . I am sure you guys will have every excuse in the book why times are rough .

Trust me you are going to think the next coach , the coach after that and the next coach doesn't play the guys you want . The Chicago boards go through the same thing . I don't agree with all Claude did either but it doesn't mean i am right or he is never wrong. I look at what he has to work with and what he did with it and most on here have just really always over evaluated what the team has and had .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad