Injury Report: Clarke MacArthur | Update: Playing TONIGHT vs Detroit

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Hate comments like this. Everyone worries about Clarke's health, but it's his body and if he and the doctors feels like he can still play and be safe, who are you to say he can't or shouldn't?

I mean, if he wants to come back and try to play next year, I'm all for it. But come one, the guy has played 4 games in the last two years. You think he's going to come back with 8 games left in the season and try to play in the playoffs? No coach would ever put him in.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Ethics question here:

If a player knows the risks involved, and has received medical advice from his doctor, but still decides he wants to play in spite of those risks, should he be allowed to play?

On the one hand I want to say yes because it is his life and he should be able to live it how he wants. But on the other hand I would worry his playing concussed could set a culture where others are pressured into playing concussed "for the team".

I work as an occupational therapist and works with patients who have these type of traumatical brain injuries. I have an insight on the severity of symtoms and effects and how these affect your daily routines and I'd never allow him to step onto the ice ever again considering his earlier concussions and being able to maintain his other roles in life as a husband, father, son etc.

However, health care is client centered where the patients wishes and preferences comes first when it comes to what direction in life he or she wants to take. So there is no power to forbid him from stepping onto the ice. The only thing you could do as a professional in healthcare at that stage is to advice and guide Clarke into finding other activities/occupations that creates value for him.

Hockey players can have a very, very hard time with changing paths in life.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I'm rooting Mac, but would have preferred if he kept this comeback attempt quiet and private. Being under the public's microscope can't be fun.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I work as an occupational therapist and works with patients who have these type of traumatical brain injuries. I have an insight on the severity of symtoms and effects and how these affect your daily routines and I'd never allow him to step onto the ice ever again considering his earlier concussions and being able to maintain his other roles in life as a husband, father, son etc.

However, health care is client centered where the patients wishes and preferences comes first when it comes to what direction in life he or she wants to take. So there is no power to forbid him from stepping onto the ice. The only thing you could do as a professional in healthcare at that stage is to advice and guide Clarke into finding other activities/occupations that creates value for him.

Hockey players can have a very, very hard time with changing paths in life.

While I agree, players need to consider their future and not just how much they want to continue playing, I'm not sure we can really know what's best for the man without seeing his test results, medical scans and doctors diagnosis in full. In general, a guy who has had the number of serious concussions MacArthur has had over such a short period probably should consider his long term health. But I don't know his full prognosis.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Pierre brought up a point about Clarke playing on the PK. If he does come back what about just strictly letting him play on the power play? He was on our PP before and I thought he brings a pretty good element to it.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Pierre brought up a point about Clarke playing on the PK. If he does come back what about just strictly letting him play on the power play? He was on our PP before and I thought he brings a pretty good element to it.

If he can't play a regular shift he's pretty useless to us at this point

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

You can't afford to shorten your bench like that in the playoffs. Remember, unlimited overtime.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
While I agree, players need to consider their future and not just how much they want to continue playing, I'm not sure we can really know what's best for the man without seeing his test results, medical scans and doctors diagnosis in full. In general, a guy who has had the number of serious concussions MacArthur has had over such a short period probably should consider his long term health. But I don't know his full prognosis.

Your post was a context i forgot to add to my post. Its exactly you say; its hard to make a detailed evaluation without his diagnosis, but in general patients who suffered multiple concussions during a short period of time, should stay himself from putting himself into the risk of receiving another one.

I fully believe he is returning for the love of the game, but I hope there is not an element of wanting to make money to maintain the exclusive lifestyle amongst himself and fellow NHLers. There are no wrongs in taking a few steps back to have a less physical job than he has today that still provides value to yourself, more quiet and healthy life. While living in a materialistic society people tend to forget that. Although, this is something that could be slightly off topic and could be discussed elsewhere.

If he comes back, he has to be eased into the line up and start from the 3rd/4th line with somewhat sheltered minutes. The guy hasn't been involved in any games for ages and should be used carefully. Playing box- and powerplay during practise is way different than doing during games, especially during playoffs.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
You can't afford to shorten your bench like that in the playoffs. Remember, unlimited overtime.

But what they could do is put him on the fourth line, play him 7-8 min of ES. But you give him time on the PP. Overall he would play around 10 min or so which is 4th line minute.

Isn't exactly what sam gagner is doing in CBJ? Play fourth line but his playing the PP.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Gotta love Mac's drive and tenacity with all of this.

I do feel bad for Boucher in this situation, though. There is no way MacArthur, having not played a game in almost a year and a half, would be an upgrade over any of the players in our current lineup.

There is absolutely no way that he will be up to NHL speed (not talking skating, but decision making)...especially playoff speed.

If Mac passes the test, Boucher is going to be put in a horrible situation. How do you tell a guy that worked that hard to come back, that he's only going to be skating with the black aces unless a rash of injuries occur?

At the end of the day, Boucher's job come playoff time is to make sure we ice the best lineup and unfortunately there is no way Mac could be in it.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm really trying to avoid the medical speculation side of this - but say he was able to pass all the tests, get cleared and return... off the top this sounds a bit too good to be true.

But then think about Crosby. He had a bunch of very serious concussions in a short period of time, it kept coming back and seemed like it might never pass. But now it kind of seems like it has.

Who knows, maybe the same thing eventually happens with Grizz. Concussions are weird

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gotta love Mac's drive and tenacity with all of this.

I do feel bad for Boucher in this situation, though. There is no way MacArthur, having not played a game in almost a year and a half, would be an upgrade over any of the players in our current lineup.

There is absolutely no way that he will be up to NHL speed
(not talking skating, but decision making)...especially playoff speed.

If Mac passes the test, Boucher is going to be put in a horrible situation. How do you tell a guy that worked that hard to come back, that he's only going to be skating with the black aces unless a rash of injuries occur?

At the end of the day, Boucher's job come playoff time is to make sure we ice the best lineup and unfortunately there is no way Mac could be in it.

Sure, but that's what conditioning stints are for. Time's running out though.

Having said that, how long does it take to do a baseline test? I mean, at this point he can't be waiting for that last bit of healing, it's just about scheduling an appointment, no?

This seems like a distraction we don't need right now, that sounds horrible, but I think it's true. Wishing all the best to MacArthur, but there are so many ways this can go sideways...

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I'm really trying to avoid the medical speculation side of this - but say he was able to pass all the tests, get cleared and return... off the top this sounds a bit too good to be true.

But then think about Crosby. He had a bunch of very serious concussions in a short period of time, it kept coming back and seemed like it might never pass. But now it kind of seems like it has.

Who knows, maybe the same thing eventually happens with Grizz. Concussions are weird

Weren't Crosby's issues were caused by something in his neck and weren't concussion related at all, but they didn't know it at first?

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Sure, but that's what conditioning stints are for. Time's running out though.

Having said that, how long does it take to do a baseline test? I mean, at this point he can't be waiting for that last bit of healing, it's just about scheduling an appointment, no?

This seems like a distraction we don't need right now, that sounds horrible, but I think it's true. Wishing all the best to MacArthur, but there are so many ways this can go sideways...

I was pretty specific about speed meaning decision-making and hand speed.

Training camp, scrimmages and exhibition games, not conditioning stints, are for that type of speed.

This is why you always see guys who miss training camp and the exhibition games over contract issues struggle for a good part of the year. Now multiply that by 2 cause it's been basically two seasons.

It's too late in the year to put him in the lineup and let him get up to speed.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
These comments are hilarious. I would wager whatever anyone wants that Clarke could enter the lineup and surpass Kelly and/or Dizingel right away.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I mean, if he wants to come back and try to play next year, I'm all for it. But come one, the guy has played 4 games in the last two years. You think he's going to come back with 8 games left in the season and try to play in the playoffs? No coach would ever put him in.

Where did I say that? I'm saying it's not your choice to say he can't or shouldn't play again. That's between Clarke, his family and the doctors. And of deemed healthy now, before playoffs, I think Boucher would definitely try to get him in a game or two once we've clinched. But next season is probably more realistic.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was pretty specific about speed meaning decision-making and hand speed.

Training camp, scrimmages and exhibition games, not conditioning stints, are for that type of speed.

This is why you always see guys who miss training camp and the exhibition games over contract issues struggle for a good part of the year. Now multiply that by 2 cause it's been basically two seasons.

It's too late in the year to put him in the lineup and let him get up to speed.

Did you read what I posted? Conditioning stint, as in down to the minors in Bingo playing real games against pro's. Might not be NHL, but it will let us know exactly where he is in terms of decision making speed and help him get back up to speed in real game situations.

Guys missing training camp don't tend to do conditioning stints, partially because the stakes aren't as high at the start of the year. Guys coming back from long term injuries do.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Did you read what I posted? Conditioning stint, as in down to the minors in Bingo playing real games against pro's. Might not be NHL, but it will let us know exactly where he is in terms of decision making speed and help him get back up to speed in real game situations.

Guys missing training camp don't tend to do conditioning stints, partially because the stakes aren't as high at the start of the year. Guys coming back from long term injuries do.

There's no time for that. He would literally have to clear and be in the lineup for the next game.

How long is a conditioning stint for a guy who missed two years? It would certainly be at least 4-5 games. Then he gets what? 3 games in a Sens jersey before playoffs?

When you said 'time is running out' before, I would argue time has already run out.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
These comments are hilarious. I would wager whatever anyone wants that Clarke could enter the lineup and surpass Kelly and/or Dizingel right away.

This is lunacy.

We aren't talking post-cancer Lemieux here. We are talking Clarke friggin MacArthur.

This guy is a grinder who will be weary to grind. This guy was known for his speed, and will certainly lack speed. Anyone who misses two years from headshots is going to be timid at first.. and understandably so. We can't afford growing pains and we don't have time for him to figure out who the 'new MacArthur' will be at this time of the year.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
This is lunacy.

We aren't talking post-cancer Lemieux here. We are talking Clarke friggin MacArthur.

This guy is a grinder who will be weary to grind. This guy was known for his speed, and will certainly lack speed. Anyone who misses two years from headshots is going to be timid at first.. and understandably so. We can't afford growing pains and we don't have time for him to figure out who the 'new MacArthur' will be at this time of the year.

Bro I offered a wager and you responded with a bunch of words that did not accept the wager.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Bro I offered a wager and you responded with a bunch of words that did not accept the wager.

A wager? :laugh:

How do you bet on something with that many 'ifs'?

If Clarke passes the test.
If Clarke enters the lineup.
If Clarke surpasses Dzingel or Kelly.. what does that even mean? One of those guys will be a healthy scratch in favour of Mac? Mac will get more points than either of them? Clarke will slot higher in the lineup than either of them? What if Dzingel is already a scratch for White?

Kelly won't be scratched.

I appreciate your passion and putting your money where your mouth is, but a bet like this makes no sense at all.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
A wager? :laugh:

How do you bet on something with that many 'ifs'?

If Clarke passes the test.
If Clarke enters the lineup.
If Clarke surpasses Dzingel or Kelly.. what does that even mean? One of those guys will be a healthy scratch in favour of Mac? Mac will get more points than either of them? Clarke will slot higher in the lineup than either of them? What if Dzingel is already a scratch for White?

Kelly won't be scratched.

I appreciate your passion and putting your money where your mouth is, but a bet like this makes no sense at all.

Again a whole bunch of words. If he is cleared to play let's wager ?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But what they could do is put him on the fourth line, play him 7-8 min of ES. But you give him time on the PP. Overall he would play around 10 min or so which is 4th line minute.

Isn't exactly what sam gagner is doing in CBJ? Play fourth line but his playing the PP.

Yes, but you go into your 2nd period of overtime, and you have one guy taking up a spot who only played a few minutes...that puts extra strain on the rest of the forwards. In the playoffs, you have to be confident everyone on that bench can play a regular shift. You can't afford to overplay your big guns because you need to shelter someone sitting on the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad