Injury Report: Clarke MacArthur | Update: Playing TONIGHT vs Detroit

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If MacArthur comes back at all he will be 80-90% of his former self. He has missed almost two full seasons which as a 31 year old will be really put him behind. And he was never a great player to begin with but a solid NHLer who, under the circumstances, should just retire.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Glad to hear he's feeling good. If he can come back and play and be safe doing so, I'd be happy to have him back. Just hope he's not going to come back and be "delicate" so to speak. It would be horrible if he returned only to end up even worse off than he was before after another hit.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Wow. That guy has spirit. Brave dude. Hard not to dream about having Mac and Turris and Ryan bringing out the best in each other once again.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I would be shocked to see this happen.

Edit: and pleased if he can do it healthy.

Last edited:

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Dunno why all the negativity in here.

It's his choice. He knows the risks. Playing hockey makes him happy. Let him do what he wants.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If MacArthur comes back at all he will be 80-90% of his former self. He has missed almost two full seasons which as a 31 year old will be really put him behind. And he was never a great player to begin with but a solid NHLer who, under the circumstances, should just retire.

If he says he feels better than ever, and passes the baseline test, I don't think it's up to you or anyone else to tell him to retire instead. Clarke wants to play, he wants to take the risk, you let him play. That's it that's all. Not saying I wouldn't be worried about his health, but I would never pretend to know better than MacArthur himself and the doctors, should they clear him.

With that said, I'm not getting my hopes up until he passes the baseline, but I'm glad to see him looking so healthy.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He seems determined to go out on his shield. Admirable in a way.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Shocked to hear he is hoping to play this season...thought for sure it would be prepping for next but it he can pass and looks good in practice...

What an insane boost to the entire dressing room! Have to believe the guys would be ecstatic to have everything him back in the lineup and how nice to slot guys in to more appropriate positions.

If White plays as well as I believe he can and somehow gets a spot in Ottawa then look out...2 best trade acquisitions that never happened.

Totally different team going in to the playoffs.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Been hearing the same thing for the past two years. Should just retire.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Been hearing the same thing for the past two years. Should just retire.

Hate comments like this. Everyone worries about Clarke's health, but it's his body and if he and the doctors feels like he can still play and be safe, who are you to say he can't or shouldn't?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hate comments like this. Everyone worries about Clarke's health, but it's his body and if he and the doctors feels like he can still play and be safe, who are you to say he can't or shouldn't?

Do you expect anything more from him?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would guess this is more to see if he's on track for training camp next season, or to participate in full practices with the team/black aces now. I can't see inserting him into the lineup this year.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Ethics question here:

If a player knows the risks involved, and has received medical advice from his doctor, but still decides he wants to play in spite of those risks, should he be allowed to play?

On the one hand I want to say yes because it is his life and he should be able to live it how he wants. But on the other hand I would worry his playing concussed could set a culture where others are pressured into playing concussed "for the team".

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ethics question here:

If a player knows the risks involved, and has received medical advice from his doctor, but still decides he wants to play in spite of those risks, should he be allowed to play?

On the one hand I want to say yes because it is his life and he should be able to live it how he wants. But on the other hand I would worry his playing concussed could set a culture where others are pressured into playing concussed "for the team".

No. Simply matter of liability. Even if a guy says he knows the risks, it can be argued years later the concussion prevented him from actually knowing the full range of risk. Too easy for a good lawyer to put fault on a team for playing him.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
No. Simply matter of liability. Even if a guy says he knows the risks, it can be argued years later the concussion prevented him from actually knowing the full range of risk. Too easy for a good lawyer to put fault on a team for playing him.

You're answering an ethics question with liability/the Law.

Also as someone who has a bachelor's in Law that argument doesn't make much sense (no offense). I guess anything can be argued though.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
You're answering an ethics question with liability/the Law.

Also as someone who has a bachelor's in Law that argument doesn't make much sense (no offense). I guess anything can be argued though.

Even ignoring the legal consequences the idea that the player's concussion may have inhibited his ability to properly make the decision to play makes sense. Not 100% sure whether or not it is true, but someone with medical training would likely know.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Even ignoring the legal consequences the idea that the player's concussion may have inhibited his ability to properly make the decision to play makes sense. Not 100% sure whether or not it is true, but someone with medical training would likely know.

I guess it would be up to a medical expert to prove that a concussion can hinder reasonable decision making.

Even if that were to be proved, I still believe it would be very difficult to hold the Sens liable. Extremely difficult. Because free will, etc.

source

Jul 13, 2008
This thread reminds of the Chris Chelios threads post-lockout.

For some reason Chris Chelios didn't listen to the posters telling him to retire and he kept signing contracts, what an *******.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Even Dorion came out and said on the TSN or Sportsnet article that Clarke would have to prove a lot to coaching/management to warrant coming in during a crucial time pre-playoffs or even bigger yet, mid playoffs, as a guy who's played all of 4 competitive games over the last two years. Even if he clears, he's not guaranteed in this season. I think they just don't want to crush his passion and hope the docs say something like, you're almost at baseliine but it's safer for you to sit out and train the summer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I guess it would be up to a medical expert to prove that a concussion can hinder reasonable decision making.

Even if that were to be proved, I still believe it would be very difficult to hold the Sens liable. Extremely difficult. Because free will, etc.

Well, we've already seen how repeated concussions make former players more likely to abuse medications. Former players have talked about wild mood swings and 'lack of judgment' problems. Also a dramatic increase in symptoms of depression. All of these things together form a basis where a person might not be capable of making the best, most informed decisions. The more we learn about head injuries, the more it seems it effects just about everything.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Well, we've already seen how repeated concussions make former players more likely to abuse medications. Former players have talked about wild mood swings and 'lack of judgment' problems. Also a dramatic increase in symptoms of depression. All of these things together form a basis where a person might not be capable of making the best, most informed decisions. The more we learn about head injuries, the more it seems it effects just about everything.

Sure, but you're mixing a bunch of things together here.

Every player is a case by case situation.

MacArthur doesn't fall under most of what you are describing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad