GWT: CL Match Day 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know you hate any kind of critcism towards PSG, but what exactly do you find so ridiculous about that article? I got the link from another board where it was being posted and discussed about among people who don't have any sort of bias against (or for) PSG and talked about the accuracy of it.
What's ridiculous?
Are you serious?
There's absolutely ZERO football talk. It's just a "journalist" trying to dump as much shit as possible on a team without EVER looking at the context.
There's absolutely ZERO accuracy in that article simply because it never even tries to talk football.

Saying I hate any kind of ciriticms towards PSG is so ridiculous as well BTW.
The fact they spend so much money without ever being able to sign a true great 6 would be fair criticism. And deserved.

That piece of crap of an article has nothing to do with football. It isn't even trying to BTW.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mbappe and Neymar weren't good because Robertson and Alexander-Arnold were very good. Alexander-Arnold in particular, considering his age, is incredible. 19 year old defenders are not supposed to be this.

I don't really know what it is that Klopp does to get these players ready to run through walls. It is a bit inexplicable.

I don't want to step back into it, but it's not quite that long ago that some where talking about how much of a joke for Liverpool being in the finals was considering their group and their opponents through the knockout rounds.

I think the best quotes from the matches so far in this round are Klopp's talking about (and I'm paraphrasing) how it's a good thing for Liverpool to be talked about in the same terms as PSG and others. He equated it with being able to compete with teams like that. Liverpool being good again is good for the EPL, good for the CL and good for football.

Yeah not forgetting that. Not forgetting they should have won the final too and got thugged out of the game.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah not forgetting that. Not forgetting they should have won the final too and got thugged out of the game.

Is this crap for real?

They were the 2nd best team all game long. They didn't get thugged out they got beat by a much better team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is this crap for real?

They were the 2nd best team all game long. They didn't get thugged out they got beat by a much better team.

Two goals fault of concussed keeper after Ramos runs into him on purpose and hits him in the head.

Best player taken out by Ramos on purpose.

Trust me I have no idea why I'm responding to you as it certainly isn't worth my time. Everyone knows those two things happened though.

Reactions: robertmac43

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Two goals fault of concussed keeper after Ramos runs into him on purpose and hits him in the head.

Best player taken out by Ramos on purpose.

Trust me I have no idea why I'm responding to you as it certainly isn't worth my time. Everyone knows those two things happened though.

No everybody doesn't know those two things happened as most people I have read/heard have talked about Salah's injury being an accident not him being "taken out." Prior to that Real were still clearly the better team anyways.

The concussion is still based on a very untrustworthy report from Liverpool. It wasn't like those errors were out of character from Karius either.

Everyone who watched saw that Real were the better team. Most reports I have read talked about the most telling aspect of the game was Real needing a change bringing on Bale and Liverpool bringing on Lallana. Sure homer Liverpool fans focus on the so-called "thugging" but people who are not homers and trying to make excuses for one team point out the very real difference in quality of the squads, particularly the depth.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yawn. Everyone knows there was a difference in quality between the teams. Everyone except the guy who thinks Ashley Williams is better than VVD also knows things were still going well for Liverpool despite that and that prior to Salah's withdrawal they were playing better football.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No everybody doesn't know those two things happened as most people I have read/heard have talked about Salah's injury being an accident not him being "taken out." Prior to that Real were still clearly the better team anyways.

giphy.gif

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yawn. Everyone knows there was a difference in quality between the teams. Everyone except the guy who thinks Ashley Williams is better than VVD also knows things were still going well for Liverpool despite that and that prior to Salah's withdrawal they were playing better football.

Going well how? Salah was out at what the 25th minute? They were still the 2nd best team up to that point. It wasn't like they were dominating or looking like they were going to win and then it all went up in smoke when Salah went out.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Sancho started today in the Champions League at 18 years old. Didn't perform well, but he's been pretty good this season, and is getting closer to being a regular starter. Could you imagine that happening at Man City or any of the best English clubs?

More of the best English players should see this opportunity that Sancho is getting, Nelson is getting, Lookman got, and use it. They can always transfer back to England within 2-3 years after they've established themselves. Every other countries best players move around from league to league. Why is it a must that the English players remain in England?
This is a very bad take. Sané was 20 when he was starting at City. Bellerin was 19 when he started with Arsenal. TAA, Gomez, Alli, etc. all have started as teens.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is a very bad take. Sané was 20 when he was starting at City. Bellerin was 19 when he started with Arsenal. TAA, Gomez, Alli, etc. all have started as teens.

The only big coach in England who used to not play youth is Mourinho. That changed recently and Rashford has played about as much as a youth player could possibly play.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The only big coach in England who used to not play youth is Mourinho. That changed recently and Rashford has played about as much as a youth player could possibly play.

Wasn't it LVG that broke in Rashford? By the time Mourinho jonied Rashford already established himself in the first team. I don't think Mourinho would have the balls to ease in a youth player unless they are six feet tall.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wasn't it LVG that broke in Rashford? By the time Mourinho jonied Rashford already established himself in the first team. I don't think Mourinho would have the balls to ease in a youth player unless they are six feet tall.

LVG did have him play some, but that quickly rose to 53 games in the season Mourinho showed up. That's way too much for a youth player too. I guess Pereira and McTominay would also count. Dalot should too even though he was a buy.

The tide towards youth players getting a chance in England has definitely changed. It's mostly because these ones are actually good enough to play. Unlike when this happened in Germany there is no real organized reason country-wide for why these players are talented.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Rashford came up in 15-16 when LVG was in charge. By February, Rooney was injured. Martial got hurt in warmups before a Europa league match in late Feb. Rashford stepped in and scored twice. He played the rest of the season after that.

So when Mourinho came in, he was known. But he did play 53 and 52 games in the last two season under Jose.

To Mourinho's credit - he did bring in Lingard, who has been a really good squad player. He's got exponentially better. LVG featured him early, but tried him as a wingback, he got hurt, and never made it back into the rotation.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

You are missing the point. TAA is the only one of those players who came from the academy, unless you include Bellerin who for the most part didn't, considering he was poached from Barcelona.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You are missing the point. TAA is the only one of those players who came from the academy, unless you include Bellerin who for the most part didn't, considering he was poached from Barcelona.
So your point is that English teams don't give their academy players chances because they instead poach talent so young English talent in English academies should be poached by German teams? What?

But fine. Iwobi got his start at 19. What about Reece Oxford? Declan Rice? Rashford? etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: Baxterman

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I am confused now what does the Academy have to do with anything?

Are you saying because Alli didn't come from Tottenham's academy that he would have been better off going to Germany rather than going to Tottenham?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So your point is that English teams don't give their academy players chances because they instead poach talent so young English talent in English academies should be poached by German teams? What?

No, those are your words.

I don't think they poach young talent on large scales. I think they sign finished products for large sums way more often.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am confused now what does the Academy have to do with anything?

Are you saying because Alli didn't come from Tottenham's academy that he would have been better off going to Germany rather than going to Tottenham?

I am saying that if Dele came from Spurs academy, he might not be where he is today.

Pochettino compared Marcus Edwards to Messi, and then he didn't play him. 1 game in two seasons. Now sent on loan to the Netherlands. If you had a player comparable to Messi in your academy, why wouldn't he play more?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Your original point seemed to be that young English players aren't given a chance in England, but for some reason are forced to remain in England instead of being loaned out or sold to foreign teams.

Whether Alli was in Spurs academy or the academy of the franchise currently plying its trade in Milton Keynes, he was still in England and was given a chance to start early. Rashford was as well. TAA has been.

In recent years plenty of English talent has been given big roles while still young and the examples of elite English prospects being locked in an academy and not being given a chance are few and far between.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I didn't discount it, but how does that apply to what I was talking about? How does the situation for a poached player prove anything that should benefit Sancho, Foden, Nelson, Odoi?
It shows that they're willing to play youth if the youth is good enough. I also provided other players that came up through academies. Sometimes players just aren't good enough.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your original point seemed to be that young English players aren't given a chance in England, but for some reason are forced to remain in England instead of being loaned out or sold to foreign teams.

Whether Alli was in Spurs academy or the academy of the franchise currently plying its trade in Milton Keynes, he was still in England and was given a chance to start early. Rashford was as well. TAA has been.

In recent years plenty of English talent has been given big roles while still young and the examples of elite English prospects being locked in an academy and not being given a chance are few and far between.

No, thats your incorrect interpretation. I didn't say they are forced to stay in England.

Dele was given a chance because his team wasn't bringing in signings for large sums that will play over him. If he came through the Spurs academy, he might be playing for Milton Keynes now instead of the other way around.

Sancho will probably end up playing more this season by himself than all his teammates that played with him at the Youth World Cup, but I guess lets just ignore that, and act like some of the best English talents aren't now leaving for other countries.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am saying that if Dele came from Spurs academy, he might not be where he is today.

Pochettino compared Marcus Edwards to Messi, and then he didn't play him. 1 game in two seasons. Now sent on loan to the Netherlands. If you had a player comparable to Messi in your academy, why wouldn't he play more?

Because he wasn’t good enough?

Maybe if Kane hadn’t gone through Spurs academy we wouldn’t have him.

I still don’t get your point because it seemed like your point was young English players shouldnt go to big clubs but go to Germany instead.

Then when people pointed out that was wrong you seemed to try take a shotgun approach to ignoring guys that didn’t fit your narrative, poking small holes in terms of injuries and other garbage or focusing on other players.

Now you seem to be on about academies but again when pointed out how it is wrong go again into one off players that don’t really have much to do with anything.

It seems more like you are a German fan trying to take a shot at English teams more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad