GWT: CL Match Day 1

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
You mean sending the ball over the goal, getting a corner even though nobody touched the ball and then whine so much he got a card? ;)
Ok, so maybe the only part similar was dribbling diagonally in the penalty area in stoppage time :laugh:

Reactions: Evilo

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Being without KdB means they have to play one of the Silvas - either of which still may be better than anyone Lyon can field. I'm not buying what you're selling.
They're not that great of a team without KdB under Pep.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Has Fred been that bad today? Also how was Rashford’s performance? Haven’t been able to watch the game.

Fred was alright, little sloppy in his performance although seemed to come into the game later.

Rashford was....irrelevant? I guess would be a good word. Had a bad first touch that would have given him a clear 2 on 1 with Lukaku, but fumbled it back and they lost possession. Had a couple bad passes in attack. He seemed to run well and get back well though. There wasn't a ton of room out wide for his more typical runs, especially with Dalot getting forward like he did.

Reactions: Gecklund

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Holy sh*t, Evilo, I was rooting for Lyon and I'm glad they won, but you're making it hard to enjoy the win.

Loosen up, dude. Yes, some posters (myself included) think Ligue 1 is inferior to the EPL.
Which is supported by facts and numbers. Doesn't mean Ligue 1 football is literal trash.

Reactions: Jussi

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
No matter how much of a soccer enthusiast Steve Nash is, it is still weird to have a former NBA player/all-star as a soccer analyst. I guess this was just to pander to the American audience. No Brit in the studio? Yep.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well yeah and I mean where does Lyon usually end up in the competition? Group stage, maybe 1/8 Final if they're lucky. They're obviously a well-run club given their strength in the French competitions (and from what I understand there's no sheikh or oligarch in the background), but one win over Man City doesn't make them a challenger to the top clubs. The French league will always be hurt by the relative lack of interest in domestic league football.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No matter how much of a soccer enthusiast Steve Nash is, it is still weird to have a former NBA player/all-star as a soccer analyst. I guess this was just to pander to the American audience. No Brit in the studio? Yep.

Couldn't find a British former NHL/NBA/Premier League player in Canada?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
After all the talk about league superiority the past couple days, this is exactly what I thought I would find 9n here right now :p

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think when Pep said the PL isn't as good as people make it out to be he was specifically just talking about City.
Good win for Lyon, but City were also without Mendy and KdB.
Yeah I suspect if those two were there City would have done much better.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think when Pep said the PL isn't as good as people make it out to be he was specifically just talking about City.

Yeah I suspect if those two were there City would have done much better.
I'm pretty sure MC's goals per game goes down significantly when KdB isn't playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->