GWT: CL Match Day 1

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
im confused why did ronaldo get a card

Because he kicked the Valencia player (which should have been yellow but was not spotted), then the Valencia player pulled a Ronaldo on him and dove like a sissy and then Ronaldo behaved like the child he is and pulled his hair back which can be clearly seen in the slow-mo.

Well deserved red card. Pulling someones hair has no place in this game. Hope he gets suspended for 3 games or so to send a message. It wasn't malicious but the kind of stuff that players need to cut out off their games. They should allow VAR for dives as well by the way and punish each and everyone upon review with a yellow card and a hefty fine afterwards....

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, I'm not saying you misread it , but often times the translated articles out of Italy are a little sensationalized or purposely misleading.

I've read all of EDF's pre-game/post-game interviews , and nothing like that was said about Kluivert. He's being slowly acclimated just like Under was last season , and Perotti is fit again. That's the reason why he wasn't dressed.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Because he kicked the Valencia player (which should have been yellow but was not spotted), then the Valencia player pulled a Ronaldo on him and dove like a sissy and then Ronaldo behaved like the child he is and pulled his hair back which can be clearly seen in the slow-mo.

Well deserved red card. Pulling someones hair has no place in this game. Hope he gets suspended for 3 games or so to send a message. It wasn't malicious but the kind of stuff that players need to cut out off their games. They should allow VAR for dives as well by the way and punish each and everyone upon review with a yellow card and a hefty fine afterwards....

Imagine reviewing every single minor foul looking for dives, matches would last forever...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Holy sh*t, Evilo, I was rooting for Lyon and I'm glad they won, but you're making it hard to enjoy the win.

Loosen up, dude. Yes, some posters (myself included) think Ligue 1 is inferior to the EPL.
Which is supported by facts and numbers. Doesn't mean Ligue 1 football is literal trash.
I never said L1 was better than the EPL.
But you need to read the thread after PSG's loss. And then try to loosen up yourself.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well yeah and I mean where does Lyon usually end up in the competition? Group stage, maybe 1/8 Final if they're lucky. They're obviously a well-run club given their strength in the French competitions (and from what I understand there's no sheikh or oligarch in the background), but one win over Man City doesn't make them a challenger to the top clubs. The French league will always be hurt by the relative lack of interest in domestic league football.
Yeah, that's another miss.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I never said L1 was better than the EPL.
But you need to read the thread after PSG's loss. And then try to loosen up yourself.

PSG were bad though, to be fair. They looked like a team created to dump on other teams in Ligue 1 and trash inferior teams in the CL.
But when push comes to shove, they've been falling short, and right now, with no Matuidi, their midfield looks worse than ever compared to other top teams.

Even Cavani looked uninterested in putting in work against Liverpool.
Tuchel is a guy from Klopp-school of tactics. Utilizing any sort of press or anything remotely close to that will be impossible with this front 3 (and ADM as well).
For starters, I don't necessarily think Tuchel is a top manager at all, at least not yet - but let's say he is, for the sake of discussion.
He does not have the team set up to play his preferred type of football. You need some Pep/ZZ level-character here to maybe have Neymar and Mbappe buy into playing defence, and his midfield won't hold up vs the top teams.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

He kicked him? When? Where? Earlier?
In the incident, there was contact to the guy's shoulder and the guy fell like shot. Then Ronaldo went off on him for diving and went to grab his hair - BUT DIDN'T - and just brushed/touched his hair.

I've watched maybe 5-6 different post-CL match shows, Croatian, English, German.
Absolutely NOBODY thinks that's a red card.

Gimme a break.

If that's a red, you'd have every El Classico abandoned because people are down to 7 men by minute 20.

And for laughs:

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG were bad though, to be fair. They looked like a team created to dump on other teams in Ligue 1 and trash inferior teams in the CL.
But when push comes to shove, they've been falling short, and right now, with no Matuidi, their midfield looks worse than ever compared to other top teams.

Even Cavani looked uninterested in putting in work against Liverpool.
Tuchel is a guy from Klopp-school of tactics. Utilizing any sort of press or anything remotely close to that will be impossible with this front 3 (and ADM as well).
For starters, I don't necessarily think Tuchel is a top manager at all, at least not yet - but let's say he is, for the sake of discussion.
He does not have the team set up to play his preferred type of football. You need some Pep/ZZ level-character here to maybe have Neymar and Mbappe buy into playing defence, and his midfield won't hold up vs the top teams.
:facepalm:
Dump on other L1 teams like Lyon who just beat City at City?
Did PSG get torn up by Liverpool? WTF are you talking about?
Their midfield? With Verratti suspended? WTF are you talking about?

LOL as well when you say Tuchel can't press with Cavani and Mbappe :laugh:
And no, Tuchel is vastly different from Klopp in his approach. :dunno:

Rbiot/Verratti and Paqueta (or the 6 they'll buy) will hold up just fine.

You made quite a post there, congrats.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In the incident, there was contact to the guy's shoulder and the guy fell like shot. Then Ronaldo went off on him for diving and went to grab his hair - BUT DIDN'T - and just brushed/touched his hair.

I've watched maybe 5-6 different post-CL match shows, Croatian, English, German.

Gimme a break.

If that's a red, you'd have every El Classico abandoned because people are down to 7 men by minute 20.

And for laughs:

Another post you shouldn't have posted. Ronaldo kicked the defenseman, that's why he (softly really) fell to the ground. Funny enough, Ronaldo didn't like that even though he does it 90 minutes a game and had that stupid move to the guy's hair.

I for one don't think it was a red, but YES there was a kick and YES there was a hair pulking (though very slight).

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Another post you shouldn't have posted. Ronaldo kicked the defenseman, that's why he (softly really) fell to the ground. Funny enough, Ronaldo didn't like that even though he does it 90 minutes a game and had that stupid move to the guy's hair.

I for one don't think it was a red, but YES there was a kick and YES there was a hair pulking (though very slight).

It was definitely not a red, but he deserves to have the book thrown at him for the tantrum he threw after being sent off. It was like CR7 was reliving his terrible 2.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Where was this kick? Honest question, is it some earlier incident I haven't seen? I don't see anything in the clip.

As for the PSG game...
I think most will agree (and do) that Liverpool was by far the better team and PSG looked in shambles.
Credit to them for almost sneaking off with a point, but even after the equalizer they acted undisciplined (Mbappe losing the ball 25m from his goal etc.).
I like Liverpool, but I'm not a hardcore fan or anything. I just thought they were much the better team - and tbh, I didn't think I was being controversial or anything, having watched the game, seen the post-games and read the reviews, I've yet to see anyone NOT say Liverpool was utterly dominant that night.

Their midfield at best consists of Verratti, Rabiot and... ADM, ideally? I mean, that's hardly the caliber of Madrid, Barca, Bayern, etc.
(but in your opinion Rabiot is better than Rakitic, so not much point in making arguments here)
There's no depth (with Matuidi gone), and while decent, the midfield is not exactly awe-inspiring.

I don't see what Lyon's win vs City has to do with anything.
Certainly nothing to do with my opinion that PSG looked like a team built to punish lesser teams - as opposed to a team built to tackle big opponents in big games.
They won the league with a GD of +80 or something and looked their best when they were blowing teams out.
When push came to shove in the CL, yet again, they withered and disappeared. Unlucky to be down 3-1 after the first leg vs Madrid, they were completely controlled and dispatched routinely by Madrid in the 2nd leg (no Neymar, but no Modric or Kroos either).

And while I repeatedly spoke highly of Cavani's efforts defensively (so no idea why you're mentioning him), Mbappe didn't exactly work his a*s off defensively. Him and Neymar played a game to their selves, and almost every time they got the ball they'd try and take people on, run themselves into a corner, or just lose the ball straight out.

Here's an article from the Guardian. Agree with it or not, but I think you're in the minority if you think PSG looked good in Liverpool.
PSG are not playing Tuchel football. It may not even be football | Jonathan Wilson

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
the kick is right in the action. Look again. You see it much better from the upper angle.

PSG in shambles? Most would agree?
No, Liverpool was the better team, certainly not MUCH better team and PSG was really not in shambles :laugh:
3-2 loss in OT at the CL finalist and they're in shambles? That's not even being dramatic, it's being ridiculous.
If you think there's no middle ground being being in shambles and looking good, I can't help you either :facepalm:
Lyon's win dosn't have anything to do with your statement "being built to dump on L1 teams"? Really? Lyon, an L1 team just beat City, who won the league extremely easily last year... in front of Liverpool. You can't see what it has to do with anything? Can't help you either with this :facepalm:

Unlucky to be down 3-1? You mean unlucky as being called offside in a 1 on 1 goalie situation when there was no offside? Or when Kroos got the ball in an offside position on his penalty? Or when Kroos can hack Mbappe without being called after a brutal foul on Mbappe's knee while Rabiot is booked for not touching Modric?
Ah that's what Real fans call "unlucky".

You have no idea why I mention Cavani answering to your "front 3" statement? I wonder why I brought up Cavani indeed :dunno:

Mbappe was shit. Does that mean he'll be shit all year?

As for that article, it's so ridiculous it's not funny. If that's your usual readings, I understand your posts better.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It was definitely not a red, but he deserves to have the book thrown at him for the tantrum he threw after being sent off. It was like CR7 was reliving his terrible 2.
Ronaldo always throws tantrum. Nothing new. You probably didn't hate it when he was doing it for Real though ;)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Gimme a break.

And for laughs:

There was a kick and then the CB dove as I wrote earlier.

I don't care honestly what the postgame idiots had to say. The good angles only came out afterwards anyways and then the consensus was already formed by then. And in typical Ronaldo fashion it obviously was all about him being a victim and that what he did wasn't that bad anyways..

For me pulling someones hair like that is straight red. Period. Its just such a stupid thing to do in a football game and has absolutely nothing to do with the run of play or a fight for the ball. It was not even in a scuffle or anything. Its just a big manchild getting frustrated and acting out just because he did not like the CB embellishing his kick (which he is guilty of each and every game as well funnily enough). Its not as bad as spitting but IMO in the same region of stupidity and would be a red for me each and everytime and the rules certainly allow for that.

And yeah El Clasico is often a shitshow and I would dish out way more red cards (but introduce VAR first to make sure) then these spoiled divas would maybe finally get their ish together. There is a reason why football while being #1 sports in the world by far has such a bad reputation when it comes to player behavior. One thing is diving, behaving like petulant children is another. And Ronaldo is the posterboy for that. It is time to do something about that. Because thats not an isolated problem and is only getting worse.

Glad that he finally did not get away with his antics and got thrown out. I hope the UEFA suspends him for 3+ games to send a message.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't want to step back into it, but it's not quite that long ago that some where talking about how much of a joke for Liverpool being in the finals was considering their group and their opponents through the knockout rounds.

I think the best quotes from the matches so far in this round are Klopp's talking about (and I'm paraphrasing) how it's a good thing for Liverpool to be talked about in the same terms as PSG and others. He equated it with being able to compete with teams like that. Liverpool being good again is good for the EPL, good for the CL and good for football.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
As for that article, it's so ridiculous it's not funny. If that's your usual readings, I understand your posts better.

I know you hate any kind of critcism towards PSG, but what exactly do you find so ridiculous about that article? I got the link from another board where it was being posted and discussed about among people who don't have any sort of bias against (or for) PSG and talked about the accuracy of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->