GWT: CL Match Day 1

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
such a sore loser... Liverpool was way better, not slightly. It takes a massive blind homer not to see that.
I don’t care about PSG. Maybe if you went back and read my posts it’s the fact that people will use this as evidence that the PL is better than Ligue 1 and Liverpool is better than PSG when this game isn’t a factor of either.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Firmino is already one of my favourite ever Reds...I will be absolutely gutted if we don't win something significant with him.

Also I don't know how I missed this in all the arguments before about Firmino vs. the world but Klopp said this: "Mo Salah, world class, but not every day. Sadio Mane, world class, but not every day. Roberto Firmino, world class, pretty much every day."

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I also think that while the EPL is overrated, it’s really hard for clubs from other leagues to prepare for the pressing they’re going to face against Liverpool or Spurs at times. It’s one thing to have teams run around and bustle, but the amount of teams who can do that and then create is limited. It’s a different style than a team like PSG are used to
I didn't see PSG being once in danger because of pressing.
So I don't get your point here.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I also buy the Tuchel needs time argument to an extent, but some of these players, and how he's setting up is relatively similar to what we've seen before. I hark back to the Denny Green They are what we thought they were comments. At some point, three guys, no matter how talented, who have no desire to come back and defend or get involved in the scheme are going to struggle when they play a side who might be a bit less talented, but is committed to put in a challenge and work. The gap isn't that far between Liverpool and PSG to where if PSG doesn't put in a full effort, they're going to struggle. Neymar isn't paid to play defense, track back, or what have you. But his contributions in that arena were laughable. He at least has to give an honest effort in that area.

I also have some concerns on whether or not the players he has will be willing to do what he's comfortable with. He's a good coach, but I'm very interested to watch how well he can manage and get his players who don't want to track back or commit to do so.
No, Marquinhos has almost never played midfielder.
Di Maria extremely rarely with PSG.
Last year, ADM, Meunier, Bernat (obviously), and Kimpembe were backups.
Yesterday they were starting because of different issues (suspension, injuries), and it showed. Saying they were set up similarly is not true.

Tuchel will get things right IMO. Players love him, and that's a very important thing. They have sided with him with his power struggle with Henrique. NAK also loves him.
Henrique is going to be fired soon if he doesn't have a great winter window that actually fits their needs.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
That's why he was on the bench then.

He was on the bench because just days previous he was poked in the eye. I would assume the unfortunate photo shared on this very forum, all the discussion in the match thread stating such and his goal celebration which is now @Live in the Now 's avatar would be enough to suggest that, but perhaps you didn't see any of that.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also, while I said many times Liverpool deserved the win, this forum is acting as if it was total domination.
Shots totals were 9-7. Possession was balanced.
Both teams had their moment, Liverpool looked more dangerous, but in fact wasn't more dangerous.
They deserved the win because they looked the most dangerous and in control.
But it was hardly domination. :dunno:

Reactions: Gecklund

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Like I said, though I didn't see all of the first half, it looked to me that PSG could have easily won it in the end there. I believe much in line with what you're saying though, Liverpool looked the better side but in the end it was much closer than many would suggest.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In the first half, which doesn't tell the full story of the game, PSG had what? 2 shots? I'm trying to find the exact number but it can't have been that many. Tuchel does usually make changes like good managers do and make a difference after halftime.

I'm happy to buy the narrative that PSG had a limited squad. But I think that's selling the players they did have short, and the squad they faced a bit short.

I don't think Liverpool dominated the match, but I do feel the correct team got the points.

Reactions: New Jersey

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Ajax has a good chance to make it out of their group. Hopefully they show well today. It will be really good for de Ligt and de Jong especially to get continental experience.
Quite the start to the season for him, 5 goals in 6 games. That turn on the goal was beautiful, world class finish too. Needs to improve some decision making but what a player he will be in a few years time.
I'm still of the opinion that after what I've seen from him at Dortmund and Barca, and the little I saw of him before that, that he can be the best offensive player in the world if he can get his mind to match his obvious talents. He'll have to work hard and learn a lot, but I still think he has a higher peak potential than Mbappé. Would have absolutely loved to have him at Liverpool (though Mbappé might be a better fit to Klopp overall...and I'd obviously take either). France has a crazy talent pool.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Thought this was a pretty good read:

PSG are not playing Tuchel football. It may not even be football | Jonathan Wilson

"Each season the question seems to become more fundamental: what are PSG? A vanity project for Neymar? A strangely misplaced Nike marketing ploy? A laundromat for Qatar’s international reputation? They’re certainly not a football club in any traditional sense. And if they are supposed to be an agent of Qatari soft power, they really need to start emphasising the power aspect of that phrase rather than the soft."

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In the first half, which doesn't tell the full story of the game, PSG had what? 2 shots? I'm trying to find the exact number but it can't have been that many. Tuchel does usually make changes like good managers do and make a difference after halftime.

I'm happy to buy the narrative that PSG had a limited squad. But I think that's selling the players they did have short, and the squad they faced a bit short.

I don't think Liverpool dominated the match, but I do feel the correct team got the points.
Don't think anyone doubts that. PSG would have been lucky with a draw.
I don't think PSG had a limited squad. Except at LB, the only problem was missing Verratti, but then again, he's often injured, so they'd better gets used to it.
They lack a 6. That's on Henrique.

The biggest problem was getting used to play under a new coach.
If Klopp was taking over United or Chelsea tomorrow, I doubt he'd beat the CL finalist one month into the season. It takes time.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Who said it was?
You're arguing with yourself man.
Basically the guy I was responding to originally tried to convince everyone in here that claiming this was an “uneducated” opinion. So no, I’m not arguing with myself.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, that's not what he said.
He said people should not draw conclusions about leagues and level of teams from an early season game, otherwise, they'd be uneducated to football.

Which is hardly arguable.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Don't think anyone doubts that. PSG would have been lucky with a draw.
I don't think PSG had a limited squad. Except at LB, the only problem was missing Verratti, but then again, he's often injured, so they'd better gets used to it.
They lack a 6. That's on Henrique.

The biggest problem was getting used to play under a new coach.
If Klopp was taking over United or Chelsea tomorrow, I doubt he'd beat the CL finalist one month into the season. It takes time.

I guess on the Tuchel bit, but he's had a few matches to tune up some of the problems.

I lend more blame to what players are there, than the actual plan of managers. Do they really have the players to do what Tuchel is known to do? Is he really the guy to get the most out of players like Neymar and Mbappe? Would he really want superstars who have no desire to play defense at all? I get that the players seem to like him, but I'm interested in how long that lasts if he's having to hassle players about giving effort or going bakc.

If Henrique is the problem, 750 million net spend? How much more will they have to spend to compete with the other top teams? If they need a six, is that it? They're one player away?

I fully expect to see a much different PSG side when Liverpool go there. But some of it will take a bit longer.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If United don’t win today, they won’t make it out of the group.

I can't see them coming away with less than three points. YB are a good team for their league, but seriously now there's no competition. United did once crash out to Basel, but that team had Sommer, Dragovic, Shaqiri, Xhaka, Streller, Frei, and Stocker. All players who either were soon to be good or were good but past their prime. I will admit to not having watched YB but if they have that kind of talent I will be shocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad