Sportsnet: CJ: Teams interested in Andersen, who is reportedly preparing not to be in Toronto next season

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well Anderson will go on to have a fine career elsewhere. Expecting him to bail out the team every game wasn't going to lead them anywhere. Leafs will be battling for #1 draft pick next season. I'm calling it now. But I'll continue to watch because I'm a sucker.
Owen Power is eligible next year.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Glad Dubas is shooting for the moon. If you're not getting something huge I return for Andersen, then keep him. He's a great starter, and bails the team out constantly.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Leafs will not be battling for the #1 picks in a leag where Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Florida SJ, LA and the Ducks exist

Every year 15 teams get a shot at the #1. Toronto was one of those 15 teams this year. Odds are probably 50/50 that Toronto is one of those 15 teams next year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Glad Dubas is shooting for the moon. If you're not getting something huge I return for Andersen, then keep him. He's a great starter, and bails the team out constantly.

Leafs can find a cheaper option to put up a 2.85 GAA and .909 SV%. He really wasn’t good this season and they should be moving on from him, as I don’t think re-signing him is in the team’s plans.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Who plays in net for Toronto then if he gets moved?

Maybe they have a plan to sign Crawford or something

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Every year 15 teams get a shot at the #1. Toronto was one of those 15 teams this year. Odds are probably 50/50 that Toronto is one of those 15 teams next year.

This was a strange year. I don't put any stock into this season in regards to what Toronto will do next season

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don’t see a replacement that is any better for less money or even same money as him.
Murray “might “ be better but why risk that ? If he isn’t any better then what do you do ?

Reactions: qqaz

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Big fan of Andy and he had a good playoffs overall.

Thing is... and no... this year wasn't on him... but he seems to let in a softy at the worst time too often in big games.

Then you have the fact that he's probably only making more after this season.

So trade him now and get a decent return. That is if you can sign a guy close to his calibre, or have a trade setup right when you would trade him.

In the end I figure he isn't going anywhere though.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, either they will get a shot or they won't.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Big fan of Andy and he had a good playoffs overall.

Thing is... and no... this year wasn't on him... but he seems to let in a softy at the worst time too often in big games.

Then you have the fact that he's probably only making more after this season.

So trade him now and get a decent return. That is if you can sign a guy close to his calibre, or have a trade setup right when you would trade him.

In the end I figure he isn't going anywhere though.

I think Freddy AndersEn is really good, I love the guy, best goalie we've had in 15+ years by a long shot.

He's on his last year and we may well not be able to afford him, and he HAS been a bit of a letdown in game 7's, which seems to be our playoff MO.

But the simple idea we can't afford to have him back, and should probably get going on a new starter asap, it's a good idea to trade him.

And I personally really liked what I saw from Jack Campbell. He looked really solid and could possibly do well as a starter. You don't know until you try.

Everyone thinks Freddy is such a good goalie all of a sudden. He was always good just not one of the best, but better than your average one. I wish him the best whether he's still a Maple Leaf or not.

Not super worried about the goalie situation though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Freddy AndersEn is really good, I love the guy, best goalie we've had in 15+ years by a long shot.

He's on his last year and we may well not be able to afford him, and he HAS been a bit of a letdown in game 7's, which seems to be our playoff MO.

But the simple idea we can't afford to have him back, and should probably get going on a new starter asap, it's a good idea to trade him.

And I personally really liked what I saw from Jack Campbell. He looked really solid and could possibly do well as a starter. You don't know until you try.

Everyone thinks Freddy is such a good goalie all of a sudden. He was always good just not one of the best, but better than your average one. I wish him the best whether he's still a Maple Leaf or not.

Jack Campbell is a good backup but he IS a backup he can't play 55 games

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Jack Campbell is a good backup but he IS a backup he can't play 55 games
Good thing it is a shortened season.

The thing that most are missing is that he had a .928 save % in 31 games in 2018-19. And he outplayed Andersen when he got to the Leafs as well, after a bit of a tough start in LA.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Yup im with you there.

Above average but not in the top 5 or even 10. At times yes... but not all year.

If they get some freaking D finally and sign a goalie for a bit less... or get creative with trades to free up money for more D... and run a tandem... I think they may be better off.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We just need two guys who can play 30-some games next season, we can trade for a better goalie next year when there's a full season.
Or even sign a free agent next year. What goalies are available next year in free agency . I would also think a lot of teams with 1a-1b tandems will be selling low on one avoid losing them to expansion for nothing .

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
This was a strange year. I don't put any stock into this season in regards to what Toronto will do next season

I disagree. This team was just as bad in the second half of the previous season. When they show you who they are, believe them. Babcock was a problem, but we now know (or at least any reasonable fan should know) that he wasn't the problem. The team is deeply flawed. There is no easy fix and management is not willing to make the hard decisions. They are a bubble team. Although they might luck out next season by being placed in a weak 7-team Canadian division, they simply don't have what it takes to be competitive in the playoffs. It is unlikely they win more than one round over the duration of Matthews' contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I disagree. This team was just as bad in the second half of the previous season. When they show you who they are, believe them. Babcock was a problem, but we now know (or at least any reasonable fan should know) that he wasn't the problem. The team is deeply flawed. There is no easy fix and management is not willing to make the hard decisions. They are a bubble team. Although they might luck out next season by being placed in a weak 7-team Canadian division, they simply don't have what it takes to be competitive in the playoffs. It is unlikely they win more than one round over the duration of Matthews' contract.

Matthews contract is 4 more years don't be ridiculous.

You could bring back the team as is and they would be better just simply because they wouldn't have Hutchinson as the backup pissing away points a 3.66 GAA and a 886 save% can't be blamed on the team Michael Hutchinson was just shit.

Having Jack Campbell backing up Freddy for a full season automatically bags them 10-15 extra points.

All they have to do is fix the RD and they don't need Pietrangelo to do it, that would be AMAZING but it's not necessary.

Grab 2 of Savard Larsson , Risto, Manson, Hamilton, Hjalmarsson, Hanifin, Letang, Pietrangelo, Tanev, Brodie, Hamonic, Vatenan, Gudas, TVR, Demelo etc.

Grab 2 guys in free agency for say 4.5 million each, or 1 trade and 1 free agent signing, or 2 trades and that's good enougy you don't NEED the big fish this time, it would be AMAZING but it's not necessary

Reactions: LeafGrief

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I feel a Freddy to Arizona goalie swap coming soon. Coyotes can save 4 million in real dollars on Freddy this season.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Typical Leafs fans who love their 28 year old backup (as soon season starts 29 year old) who played 6 games for them. And all the sudden he's is that real deal who can play 65 games. Well they will turn on him soon enough.

Campbell was drafted 10 years ago. He's not that young rising star, but reclaim project who claimed to back-up level goalie in NHL. Admirable after all his struggles, but let's get real here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad