Sportsnet: CJ: Teams interested in Andersen, who is reportedly preparing not to be in Toronto next season

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Not everyone on that list can perform like that when given a workload of a 60-game starter. Apart from his stats overall, it's the fact Andersen can play 60-odd games is part of his value. It's what separates the starters who put up good numbers in 60 games versus the "half and half" guys who put up similar numbers while in a tandem getting around 35-40 starts per year.

I think the modern trend, backed by statistics, is that NHL goalies should not play 60+ games. Many of them "can" do that - most if all should not. Andersen did because Toronto has never had a reasonable backup until they acquired Campbell. Do you think Andersen has been well served by that heavy workload when he got to the playoffs?

And in terms of next year - 2020-21 - the current thinking is that there will be a compressed schedule with a ton of back to backs and other games clustered together. Goalies will not be able to play 60 games and backups will be pretty important. I'm pretty sure that's why MTL traded for Allen even though Price typically plays a lot of games.

Given the high variance in goalie play from year to year, I think a decent argument can be made that you're better of not putting all of your eggs in a 60 game goalie basket. At least not unless you have a truly elite goalie (Price), which Andersen is not. Look at the better playoff teams - many have goalie duos: Dallas, Vegas, NYI, CBJ,

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
One-off seasons happen, Andersen was a slam dunk vezina finalist at the three-quarter mark last season until he shit the bed. Hamilton was playing top-pair minutes for years on two previous teams where he has always been a mental-midget defensively. Are you saying he went from Barrie-esq to Shea Weber since you traded for him?

Sure, why not

Career high in minutes played, led CAR d-men in ice time, first time he was used extensively on the PK and he was a +30 in 47 games, I’d say a light switch turned on

Even if his season was a flash in the pan, I don’t think you find any NHL team that values Barrie over Hamilton.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think the modern trend, backed by statistics, is that NHL goalies should not play 60+ games. Many of them "can" do that - most if all should not. Andersen did because Toronto has never had a reasonable backup until they acquired Campbell. Do you think Andersen has been well served by that heavy workload when he got to the playoffs?

And in terms of next year - 2020-21 - the current thinking is that there will be a compressed schedule with a ton of back to backs and other games clustered together. Goalies will not be able to play 60 games and backups will be pretty important. I'm pretty sure that's why MTL traded for Allen even though Price typically plays a lot of games.

Given the high variance in goalie play from year to year, I think a decent argument can be made that you're better of not putting all of your eggs in a 60 game goalie basket. At least not unless you have a truly elite goalie (Price), which Andersen is not. Look at the better playoff teams - many have goalie duos: Dallas, Vegas, NYI, CBJ,

You are probably correct. We have seen a substantial trend towards tandems. This year, there were only 6 goalies who started 50 games (prorating to roughly 58 depending on how many games their team had played at the stoppage) -- of which Andersen was one.

You then look at the trend of goalies who started 60 or more games:
2018-19: 8
2017-18: 9
2016-17: 11
2015-16: 10
2014-15: 12

Look back further, and you see anywhere between 10 and 14 goalies who hit this threshold.

However, when going into a season that is likely to be compressed, having a guy that can play and is used to playing 60+ games, may be extremely useful, as it won't leave the team absolutely sewered if the other guy gets hurt, and playing 50 games next year could mean playing at basically the same frequency as a 60-game goalie in normal years.

Any team acquiring any goalie this offseason is likely doing so this year with the mindset of their #1 guy playing no more than 50-50 games. I wouldn't be suprised if the only guys who start more than 60 games next year are Hellebuyck, Binnington, Vasilevksy, and Gibson. That doesn't mean Andersen's ability to play 60+ gets ignored or devalued, it's going to get used by virtue of the fact that playing 50 games will be like playing 60 in normal year. It's also going to give Andersen the ability to take a maintenance day every so often, and maybe erase some of those poor performances from this year when it was clear that he needed a rest, but the team had absolutely no confidence in their backup.

If you're a good team, looking to upgrade their #1 goaltending, likely for a front-half of your tandem for next year, I'd go as far as saying that the only UFAs (or guys rumoured to be available via trade) potentially more desirable for next year than Andersen are Lehner & Markstrom. Markstrom has no reason to leave Vancouver. Lehner has only once played more than 55 games, it was 3 seasons ago, and I think a lot of GMs are fearful of giving him a long term deal with his history. Both are also going to require very long, and very expensive deals, whereas from a cash perspective, it doesn't get any cheaper than Frederik Andersen.

Then you look at the good teams who need a proven goalie and/or upgrade in net.... Carolina, Colorado, Washington, Edmonton, Calgary. They can't all sign Robin Lehner.

As for Holtby, Andersen has been better in the major statistical categories over the last 3 years, whether it be games played, GAA or save percentage.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
More Leafs scapegoating. They only gonna get worse and worse as they try to solve their “problem” by shipping out good players when their real problem is overpaying their top 4 underperforming superstars to the point where they can’t build a real team now.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just a coincidence lol kk

Yes, that is what it is. A Leafs fan blog posted an insanely one-sided trade as a “hypothetical trade” and Kyle Dubas proposed the same insane trade to Carolina, and was immediately shot down. This doesn’t mean you were any less full of shit when you tried to pass off that “hypothetical trade” as a rumor here.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Yes, that is what it is. A Leafs fan blog posted an insanely one-sided trade as a “hypothetical trade” and Kyle Dubas proposed the same insane trade to Carolina, and was immediately shot down. This doesn’t mean you were any less full of shit when you tried to pass off that “hypothetical trade” as a rumor here.
That's your opinion. It was talked about in Sep.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man dubas reportedly asking for Hamilton in an Andersen deal lol. I thought I'd get flamed endlessly asking for bokk+2nd for Andersen. Good on dubas for asking high but I do hope he doesnt let a good opportunity pass due to over valuing andersen. If we get offered a 1st I'd jump on that deal

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Well Anderson will go on to have a fine career elsewhere. Expecting him to bail out the team every game wasn't going to lead them anywhere. Leafs will be battling for #1 draft pick next season. I'm calling it now. But I'll continue to watch because I'm a sucker.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Man dubas reportedly asking for Hamilton in an Andersen deal lol. I thought I'd get flamed endlessly asking for bokk+2nd for Andersen. Good on dubas for asking high but I do hope he doesnt let a good opportunity pass due to over valuing andersen. If we get offered a 1st I'd jump on that deal

You need a replacement and no that's not Jack Campbell

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You need a replacement and no that's not Jack Campbell
Other options are available on the goalie market.

Kuempfer/raanta, lunqvuist, greiss, Talbot, holtby, crawford, are all names we could target. Would be dumb passing up an opportunity to get a quality asset for a 1 year rental Andy. Unless he signs a 2-3 year exextnsion at 4ish million I really think we should move on and look at other options.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well Anderson will go on to have a fine career elsewhere. Expecting him to bail out the team every game wasn't going to lead them anywhere. Leafs will be battling for #1 draft pick next season. I'm calling it now. But I'll continue to watch because I'm a sucker.

Leafs will not be battling for the #1 picks in a leag where Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Florida SJ, LA and the Ducks exist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad