Sportsnet: CJ: Teams interested in Andersen, who is reportedly preparing not to be in Toronto next season

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
At almost 29 there is a reason he hasn't been given the chance.

Johnny Bower and Tim Thomas came about 60 years apart.

There is a reason for that.

33 games-.915 / 26 games .910
21 games -.941 / 36 games -.926
33 games. -.937/ 30 games -.927
31 games. -.928 / 26 games -.904

I forget the order but Talbot/Markstrom/Schneider and Campbell in the two seasons before becoming starter, all aged 26-28.

Reactions: Drew311

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Matthews contract is 4 more years don't be ridiculous.

You could bring back the team as is and they would be better just simply because they wouldn't have Hutchinson as the backup pissing away points a 3.66 GAA and a 886 save% can't be blamed on the team Michael Hutchinson was just shit.

Having Jack Campbell backing up Freddy for a full season automatically bags them 10-15 extra points.

All they have to do is fix the RD and they don't need Pietrangelo to do it, that would be AMAZING but it's not necessary.

Grab 2 of Savard Larsson , Risto, Manson, Hamilton, Hjalmarsson, Hanifin, Letang, Pietrangelo, Tanev, Brodie, Hamonic, Vatenan, Gudas, TVR, Demelo etc.

Grab 2 guys in free agency for say 4.5 million each, or 1 trade and 1 free agent signing, or 2 trades and that's good enougy you don't NEED the big fish this time, it would be AMAZING but it's not necessary

This fan base always has a million excuses for everything and always thinks that the newest thing is going to save them.

Who would have thought when Matthews signed his contract on February 5th 2019 that the Leafs - who were 5th in the NHL at the time - would crater over the final 30 games of the season (19th in the NHL) and play at a 91 point pace ever since?

Who would have thought that in the two post seasons since Matthews signed the team would lose in the first round for the one, and not even make the first round for the other?

People can bitch all they want about Hutch (and before that Sparks), but the teams GM couldn't manage to patch up that simple hole until February of this year.

And once Freddie is gone - good luck for his replacement surviving the barrage against him. In 25 playoff games with the Leafs (counting the play-in) Freddie has a 0.916 sv% and 3.9 goals saved above average. That is far better than Binnington when he won the cup in 2019 and about on par with most winning goalies over the last several seasons. The difference was the team in front of the goalie. What those players were willing to sacrifice, and what the Leafs' players are absolutely not willing to sacrifice. Yet, Freddie is now the problem.

The team has zero toughness (and is not resigning Clifford, while having traded away Kapanen). They are even weaker mentally. The team has zero grit. The team collapses with any sign of hardship. The team has a 11M player who couldn't bother to be engaged (at all) during the first play in game. The team doesn't stand up for their teammates at all.

"All they need to is sign 2 non-star RHDs" Yeah right.

This team has been trying to fix their D - and specifically their right side - for years. They have acquired 5 free wallets over the last 4 years (far more than any other team): Zaitsev, Rosen, Borgman, Oz and now Lehtonen - and yet their D is still a disaster (the main thing those free wallets have done is allowed the team to get away with doing a terrible job of developing their own young D). They signed Hainsey, who allowed Rielly to flourish, and the entire time - including before he even stepped on the ice the first time - the fanbase shit on him for being on the first pair. They traded for Barrie, who almost everyone on here thought would be a godsend, and he sucked. This fanbase spent every single second of the last season shitting on Ceci - who did a better job than any D on the team at going up against the best players on the team, in a purely defensive role, and keeping the puck out of the net. There is little reason for UFAs to want to come here. They can't afford to add two decent RHDs anyway without trashing their forward depth (as they refuse to trade one of their big four).

It's a team of soft, entitled, over-paid stars, combined with bad management who have been trying to patch the holes they created instead of building and developing the team properly. The team is going nowhere fast and in 4 years when the team has accomplished nothing the fanbase will blame the pandemic instead of the rushed rebuild and poor decisions by management (that were supported by the fans).

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Typical Leafs fans who love their 28 year old backup (as soon season starts 29 year old) who played 6 games for them. And all the sudden he's is that real deal who can play 65 games. Well they will turn on him soon enough.

Campbell 3-2-1 with a 0.915 sv% in his 6 games with the Leafs.

Sparks' first 6 games after becoming the backup in 2018: 4-1-1 0.912 sv%.

I hope for the best with Campbell, but....

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
At almost 29 there is a reason he hasn't been given the chance.

Johnny Bower and Tim Thomas came about 60 years apart.

There is a reason for that.

Yep, case closed. It’s impossible for a professional athlete to improve in his late 20’s.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm sure it's been asked already in this 1000 post thread but...

What is the trade market for Anderson at this time?

With only 1 yr left on his contract it would really limit him to contending teams in need of a big upgrade. As in, a poor goalie option at the moment. I think Freddie is good but not Elite, so he's not a guy that you push out a potential longer term play for.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Campbell 3-2-1 with a 0.915 sv% in his 6 games with the Leafs.

Sparks' first 6 games after becoming the backup in 2018: 4-1-1 0.912 sv%.

I hope for the best with Campbell, but....
You could already tell Sparks was not an NHL goalie though. His fundamentals and positioning were terrible. Gave up rebounds like they were nothing. Campbell looked miles better

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Glad Dubas is shooting for the moon. If you're not getting something huge I return for Andersen, then keep him. He's a great starter, and bails the team out constantly.

Not when it counts he doesn't.

Frederik Andersen - playoff
series deciding games:

Year - SA - SV - SV%

2014 - 12 - 8 - .667
2015 - 27 - 25 - .926
2015 - 19 - 17 - .895
2015 - 26 - 21 - .808
2016 - 20 - 18 - .900
2017 - 36 - 34 - .944
2018 - 35 - 29 - .829
2019 - 30 - 27 - .900
2020 - 21 - 19 - .905

Total - 226 - 198 - .876

Every year with him in net the team has been forced to play more defensively in deciding games because they can't trust him to be there when it counts. That has cost them on the offensive side where their bread is buttered.

A change is overdue. Will that goalie be better, who knows, but what we do know is the Leafs will never win a playoff series with Andersen in net.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You could already tell Sparks was not an NHL goalie though. His fundamentals and positioning were terrible. Gave up rebounds like they were nothing. Campbell looked miles better

Rebounds allowed:

Sparks in the first 6 games of 2018/19 - 366 TOI - 19 rebounds allowed.
Campbell in his 6 games with the Leafs - 365 TOI - 29 rebounds allowed.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Rebounds allowed:

Sparks in the first 6 games of 2018/19 - 366 TOI - 19 rebounds allowed.
Campbell in his 6 games with the Leafs - 365 TOI - 29 rebounds allowed.
Ok maybe I shouldn't have mentioned rebounds lol. Sparks though was out of position all the time and flopping around. Campbell is a lot more calm in the net which I like. He also has way better career numbers than Sparks.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Ok maybe I shouldn't have mentioned rebounds lol. Sparks though was out of position all the time and flopping around. Campbell is a lot more calm in the net which I like. He also has way better career numbers than Sparks.

I agree that Sparks was out of position and flopping around, while Campbell is more calm. I also really, really hope that Campbell will end up with the career in Toronto that he was predicted to have many years ago. I just refuse to count my chickens before they hatch with this team any more.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
This fan base always has a million excuses for everything and always thinks that the newest thing is going to save them.

Who would have thought when Matthews signed his contract on February 5th 2019 that the Leafs - who were 5th in the NHL at the time - would crater over the final 30 games of the season (19th in the NHL) and play at a 91 point pace ever since?

Who would have thought that in the two post seasons since Matthews signed the team would lose in the first round for the one, and not even make the first round for the other?

People can bitch all they want about Hutch (and before that Sparks), but the teams GM couldn't manage to patch up that simple hole until February of this year.

And once Freddie is gone - good luck for his replacement surviving the barrage against him. In 25 playoff games with the Leafs (counting the play-in) Freddie has a 0.916 sv% and 3.9 goals saved above average. That is far better than Binnington when he won the cup in 2019 and about on par with most winning goalies over the last several seasons. The difference was the team in front of the goalie. What those players were willing to sacrifice, and what the Leafs' players are absolutely not willing to sacrifice. Yet, Freddie is now the problem.

The team has zero toughness (and is not resigning Clifford, while having traded away Kapanen). They are even weaker mentally. The team has zero grit. The team collapses with any sign of hardship. The team has a 11M player who couldn't bother to be engaged (at all) during the first play in game. The team doesn't stand up for their teammates at all.

"All they need to is sign 2 non-star RHDs" Yeah right.

This team has been trying to fix their D - and specifically their right side - for years. They have acquired 5 free wallets over the last 4 years (far more than any other team): Zaitsev, Rosen, Borgman, Oz and now Lehtonen - and yet their D is still a disaster (the main thing those free wallets have done is allowed the team to get away with doing a terrible job of developing their own young D). They signed Hainsey, who allowed Rielly to flourish, and the entire time - including before he even stepped on the ice the first time - the fanbase shit on him for being on the first pair. They traded for Barrie, who almost everyone on here thought would be a godsend, and he sucked. This fanbase spent every single second of the last season shitting on Ceci - who did a better job than any D on the team at going up against the best players on the team, in a purely defensive role, and keeping the puck out of the net. There is little reason for UFAs to want to come here. They can't afford to add two decent RHDs anyway without trashing their forward depth (as they refuse to trade one of their big four).

It's a team of soft, entitled, over-paid stars, combined with bad management who have been trying to patch the holes they created instead of building and developing the team properly. The team is going nowhere fast and in 4 years when the team has accomplished nothing the fanbase will blame the pandemic instead of the rushed rebuild and poor decisions by management (that were supported by the fans).

In the 4 series deciding games Binnington faced 109 shots, and made 104 saves, for a .954 SV%.

Andersen will never be that good.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I agree that Sparks was out of position and flopping around, while Campbell is more calm. I also really, really hope that Campbell will end up with the career in Toronto that he was predicted to have many years ago. I just refuse to count my chickens before they hatch with this team any more.
Fair enough. This last season has been beyond disappointing. Caution is justified

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I'm sure it's been asked already in this 1000 post thread but...

What is the trade market for Anderson at this time?

With only 1 yr left on his contract it would really limit him to contending teams in need of a big upgrade. As in, a poor goalie option at the moment. I think Freddie is good but not Elite, so he's not a guy that you push out a potential longer term play for.

It might be decent, but the goalie market is very hard to predict. He is only owed 1M, so that should be a big draw. I don't think that it would be restricted to contending teams. For instance, Buffalo doesn't want to spend money, but needs to improve to keep Eichel from demanding a trade could probably use a goalie like Freddie - who can face a lot of shots and steal some games.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
That excuses GAA, but SV% is on the goalie, and his career SV% in series deciding games is one of the worst in the league.

sv% is not solely on the goalie. It is the team in front of the goalie who determines the quality of shots the goalie faces.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Not when it counts he doesn't.

Frederik Andersen - playoff
series deciding games:

Year - SA - SV - SV%

2014 - 12 - 8 - .667
2015 - 27 - 25 - .926
2015 - 19 - 17 - .895
2015 - 26 - 21 - .808
2016 - 20 - 18 - .900
2017 - 36 - 34 - .944
2018 - 35 - 29 - .829
2019 - 30 - 27 - .900
2020 - 21 - 19 - .905

Total - 226 - 198 - .876

Every year with him in net the team has been forced to play more defensively in deciding games because they can't trust him to be there when it counts. That has cost them on the offensive side where their bread is buttered.

A change is overdue. Will that goalie be better, who knows, but what we do know is the Leafs will never win a playoff series with Andersen in net.

This is the same cherry picked garbage as last season when Leafs' fans said Kadri always gets suspended when it counts. It's an overreaction to a statistical anomaly.

Also, your numbers are terrible. Game 4 against Columbus should count as "series deciding", and he shut them out. And how relevant is one bad game from 2014 with a different team?

His performance was more than enough to get past Columbus. Blaming Andersen is ridiculous.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Leafs will not be battling for the #1 picks in a leag where Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Florida SJ, LA and the Ducks exist

I realize there were strange circumstances at play here, but the New York Rangers literally just won the first overall pick in a league where all those teams exist.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I realize there were strange circumstances at play here, but the New York Rangers literally just won the first overall pick in a league where all those teams exist.

Yes but like you said very very strange circumstances, I don't put any stock into this season in regards to what Toronto will do next season.

Beyond that you could bring back the team as is and they would be better just simply because they wouldn't have Hutchinson pissing away points.

Campbell backing up Freddy for a full season automatically bags them 10-15 extra points

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yes but like you said very very strange circumstances, I don't put any stock into this season in regards to what Toronto will do next season.

Beyond that you could bring back the team as is and they would be better just simply because they wouldn't have Hutchinson pissing away points.

Campbell backing up Freddy for a full season automatically bags them 10-15 extra points

Hutchinson and Kaskisuo combined for a 4-10-1 record last season.

For an additional ten points in those games, they would’ve had to have gone 9-5-1, which would be a higher points percentage than the team had in front of Andersen this season. This is despite them being inferior goalies, playing the second half of back to backs, etc...

Now consider that 10 points was the lower end of your “automatic” projection, and you can see, it’s quite the reach.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hutchinson and Kaskisuo combined for a 4-10-1 record last season.

For an additional ten points in those games, they would’ve had to have gone 9-5-1, which would be a higher points percentage than the team had in front of Andersen this season. This is despite them being inferior goalies, playing the second half of back to backs, etc...

Now consider that 10 points was the lower end of your “automatic” projection, and you can see, it’s quite the reach.

Hutchinson career Leaf record is 6-12-1 that is 13 out o 38 points.

You telling me Campbell can't get 23 out of 38?

not buying it

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hutchinson career Leaf record is 6-12-1 that is 13 out o 38 points.

You telling me Campbell can't get 23 out of 38?

not buying it
With the way the Leafs use backup goalies, it's pretty unlikely for one to have tremendous success. And if Keefe makes things easier on them, it would probably end up hurting Andersen's (or whoever the starting goalie is) record because their workload will get harder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad