Sportsnet: CJ: Teams interested in Andersen, who is reportedly preparing not to be in Toronto next season

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Leafs find their first good goaltender since Belfour and now people want to blame him for the terrible team defense?

It would be interesting to see him play behind a better defensive team, that’s for sure, but let’s be honest, he hasn’t come up big when it matters most. Joseph and Belfour played very well at times in the playoffs for Toronto, including in game 7’s. I don’t see that from Andersen.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Leafs trade Andy, who plays goal? Would they go after a UFA? Won’t that (likely) cost more? Was Andy even their biggest problem for losing in the play-in series to CBJ?

Reactions: Flukeshot

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good Lord is the goaltending market absolutely glutted right now.

I wouldn't really expect Andersen or Murray to be moved until Lehner and Markstrom have new homes, though.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Leafs trade Andy, who plays goal? Would they go after a UFA? Won’t that (likely) cost more? Was Andy even their biggest problem for losing in the play-in series to CBJ?

MurrayStanleyCup.jpg

Former Hounds HC and OHL Coach of the Year, Sheldon Keefe joins Maple Leafs – Soo Greyhounds
Former Greyhounds GM Kyle Dubas takes lead role with Maple Leafs – Soo Greyhounds

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Leafs find their first good goaltender since Belfour and now people want to blame him for the terrible team defense?

That's not the story here. The Leafs don't want to get rid of Freddy, he was likely looking at a Vezina level contract after two great seasons and then had a down year last year. It's a complicated issue of is he asking for too much and if the Leafs could pay him.

Big goalie contracts are usually big gambles anyway, it's likely just a bad fit. Fredy took some deserved heat this year but he's obviously a good goalie it just might be time to move on, especially with a deep goalie market ATM.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Back to a revolving door of goalies I guess?

Guy makes 5-10 point blank saves after defensive breakdowns, lets in 1 softie and suddenly he's pushed outta town.

Cap wise, we just couldn't afford his raise anyway...but I thought he was good for what its worth.

This reminds me of when the Oilers were idiots with Dubnyk and ran with guys like Scrivens, Fasth, Bryz, and Khabibulin after getting mad at Dubnyk for not being prime Hasek.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Moving him only makes sense if either Andersen isn't interested in signing an extension (or what he's asking for isn't realistic all things considered) or Dubas sees an opportunity to get a similar-quality goaltender with term at a reduced cap hit.

I don't believe there has been any reporting they have even talked extension (which of course doesn't mean it hasn't happened) but if they haven't and Dubas is "taking calls" on him, I think we have to assume Kyle has his sights on someone, or two.

Reactions: The Podium

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Good Lord is the goaltending market absolutely glutted right now.

I wouldn't really expect Andersen or Murray to be moved until Lehner and Markstrom have new homes, though.
Murray will be moved soon.. markstrom is staying and lehner most likely staying in Vegas...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't really understand this from a Leafs' POV.

Since being traded to Toronto Andersen has faced 7,798 shots, the most of any goalie in that time frame(by over 300). He's also played the most minutes of any goalie in that time frame.

Hard to have dazzling numbers when you're getting shelled like that. Also hard to maintain a high level of play into the playoffs when your workload throughout the season is so taxing. Leafs need to sort out their blue line and maybe add a couple defensive minded forwards more than moving on from their #1.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Welp looks like Murray to Toronto will happen, just not as a part of the Kapanen deal :laugh:
Does anyone think it’s possible JR and Dubas worked out a deal that Pens trade the 1st for Kapanen, then Tor trades the 1st back for Murray once Toronto trades Andersen?

Dubas probably didn’t want to trade for Murray before dealing Andersen for leverage reasons. 15th OA for Kapanen seems like an overpayment, maybe there was a wink wink deal that once Dubas trades Andersen he gives Pitt 15OA back for Murray because that was the original target all along

Essentially a Murray for Kapanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad