Rumor: Chychrun Megathread (Asking price has been met per Sportsnet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who is Tony Wolak? The Hockey Writers is just a fan blog, right? So this Tony fella is just a guy with a day job who likes to write about hockey in his spare time but has no connections to anyone in the NHL?
EDIT: looks like he’s a Digital Marketing Strategist for NAVY Federal Credit Union and he was the backup goaltender for VaTech’s club team, 12 years ago.

So seems like a cool guy, with a good job, thst likes hockey, and has fun writing about it in his free time.

rt

May 13, 2004
He makes more sense than all of the posts on this thread.
That’s only because the people in this thread are assuming BA is getting bad offers.

It is not more or less likely that BA is getting good offers, and there’s a small bidding war developing. It’s exactly as likely that BA is delaying a trade because prices are going up, rather than because he can’t get a good price.

rt

May 13, 2004
He makes more sense than all of the posts on this thread.
Further, it doesn’t make any sense at all to wait until the off-season to trade Chychrun. Players command a premium at the deadline, while futures command a premium at the draft. It’s common sense that you would deal the premium asset in the market where the value is highest. In the case of a team looking to deal a roster player for futures, the deadline is the most advantageous time, while the off-season is the least advantageous time.

Additionally, the MOST appealing aspect of acquiring Jakob Chychrun is that the acquiring team gets FOUR shots at the Cup with this asset that’s priced way below market value on aav. He offers a very real competitive advantage for cap management for contenting teams for four playoff runs.

Waiting until the off-season cuts that value down by 25%. Teams are paying for one fewer crack at the Cup. It’s entirely possible teams are lukewarm to the concept of re-signing him in three years due to his injury history and the price he will likely command. This may be most appealing as a four year rental.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Those teams who would trade for Chychrun at the deadline might be able to trade better assets than those not in contention. Those teams not in contention but feel like they are only a couple of player away would have better draft picks to trade. If BA wants picks, he should wait. If he wants players already in the system, he should trade at the deadline.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Eichel had to have his head chopped off, publicly demanded a trade and was embroiled in an extremely ugly media battle for his freedom wherein both sides were leaking ugly smear stories about his lack of character and the team’s negligent medical practices and totalitarian approach to treating players.

You’d have thought he escaping North Korea if you read what his side leaked and you’d have thought he was Mike Ribeiro’s dealer and bookie if you read what the other side leaked. Also he makes 10aav and while he didn’t have a NMC yet, one does kick in next season and when he’s that vocal, you better believe teams had to make sure he was happy to go there first. Buffalo had a gun to their head. They were dealing from the worst possible position of leverage. Red flags galore on Eichel.

This isn’t the same. Buffalo managed to get a fantastic return, all things considered. There are less things to consider with Chychrun. He absolutely should return nearly as much, given the totality of context.
Eichel was an established 1C, in spite of the poop slinging by both sides, the only real question was his injury risk. True, Eichel makes way more money than Chych, but he is being paid market rates. If Chych were an established 1D and didn't have 2 major knee surgeries, I would agree with you, and we might get more. I will be stunned and elated if we get an Eichel return, so I hope you are right:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Further, it doesn’t make any sense at all to wait until the off-season to trade Chychrun. Players command a premium at the deadline, while futures command a premium at the draft. It’s common sense that you would deal the premium asset in the market where the value is highest. In the case of a team looking to deal a roster player for futures, the deadline is the most advantageous time, while the off-season is the least advantageous time.

Additionally, the MOST appealing aspect of acquiring Jakob Chychrun is that the acquiring team gets FOUR shots at the Cup with this asset that’s priced way below market value on aav. He offers a very real competitive advantage for cap management for contenting teams for four playoff runs.

Waiting until the off-season cuts that value down by 25%. Teams are paying for one fewer crack at the Cup. It’s entirely possible teams are lukewarm to the concept of re-signing him in three years due to his injury history and the price he will likely command. This may be most appealing as a four year rental.
I totally agree, best value is at TDL, lower value this summer especially given a 20 point year with 5 goals and a -50.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Knight would need to be part of this trade because the coyotes need a name. You can't just trade Jakob Chychrun for a pile of crap headlined by a 22 yr old one-dimensional underachieving winger.

The trade will be Knight, Tippett, 2022 2nd and 2023 1st. BA gets to come away and say he has a potential franchise goalie and Tippett can slot right in on wing if you waive someone like Galchenyuk.

I am certain that that will be the trade if we deal with the panthers.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
One benefit of trading in the off-season is the draft lottery has already taken place. I wonder if the OEL/Garland trade had occurred before last years trade deadline if the Canucks 1st round draft pick might have been top 10 protected, in which case the Coyotes would not have been able to draft Guenther?

It's always good to remember the words of Jim Mora....."you think you know, but you don't know."

I Don't Know.

:popcorn:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think you might be right. It’s a horrifically bad package for Jakob Chychrun, though. As I’ve said, I could stomach it with Samoskevich instead of Tippett. I could be okay with it if Samoskevich were simply added to it.
You have to look at Tippett as the young roster player. Not the prospect.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Knight would need to be part of this trade because the coyotes need a name. You can't just trade Jakob Chychrun for a pile of crap headlined by a 22 yr old one-dimensional underachieving winger.

The trade will be Knight, Tippett, 2022 2nd and 2023 1st. BA gets to come away and say he has a potential franchise goalie and Tippett can slot right in on wing if you waive someone like Galchenyuk.

I am certain that that will be the trade if we deal with the panthers.
As far as I'm concerned Knight would just be more crap. The idea of a goalie being a center piece is disgusting let alone a freaking prospect goalie.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
We’re getting angsty because we’re getting bombarded with garbage proposal after garbage proposal from the dumbest fans each team has to offer. I can tell from taking directly from the smarter fans of other teams, the proposals are much better. Also, the media continues to maintain that Arizona will get a haul.

It could be this is “dragging on” because BA is creating a bidding war, and there are already frameworks of several deals that are quite appealing.
I'd like that to be the case but years of being a Coyotes fan has taught me to assume the worst. Only the Coyotes could manage to trade a young 1D for a bunch of average shit!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm truly hoping BA understands that Goalie prospects aren't like other prospects...and hoping our Scouting Dept is inline with that philosophy.

Not that Knight is worthless...he's not, but because goalies are such hit and miss, it would be a tremendous failure if he is the cornerstone piece to the trade...along with Tippett, who I think isn't any better than McCartney/Jenik type level prospect, so why would we want him...I'd rather a future pick be included.

If we can't get Samoskevich (spelling?) along with a 1st and Knight, then no deal in my book...and that would be my minimum, because I wouldn't still be happy with that, but I could understand it.

But if it's Knight/Tippett/1st then I'm going to be pissed, even if they add a 2nd, I'm still going to be pissed.

rt

May 13, 2004
You have to look at Tippett as the young roster player. Not the prospect.
Still, that sucks. If Tippett is the young roster player, and Samoskevich is the best prospect in their system (IMO) then it’s those two and a pick in the late 20s/early 30s that’s 18 months away from being selected. That’s a crap return for a 23 year old who’s a season removed from being Top10 in Norris on a team that isn’t just ignored, but actively reviled. He forced the votes by leading the league in goals by defenders. He’s an elite player in his category (very young NHL defensemen). Nothing in that Florida package will ever be elite in any category.

Chcyhrun for Tippett, Samoskevich, and FLA’23 1st is an unbelievably bad trade. Sullly retaining Chychrun would be so, so, so much better for this rebuild, IMO.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm telling you guys.. It's gonna be Knight, Tippett, 1st and 2nd. You can book it
I believe it. I really do. And I hate it. Florida doesn’t have a 1st or a 2nd this year. Do both picks have to be 2023, as we already own their 2024 2nd. Lol.

Replace Tippett and the 2nd with Samoskevich and I can convince myself to live with it.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Florida doesn’t have a 1st or a 2nd this year. Do both picks have to be 2023
Ah crap, I hadn't realized that. So basically if you make both picks 2023 and do the rest of the trade, then essentially you're getting Knight, who could end up being a franchise goalie, and Tippett, who has been entirely unimpressive since getting drafted. Those 2023 picks are late first and second and won't see impact for years.

It'd honestly be easier to just not trade with Florida. Unless BA is enamored with Knight, it feels like making a trade just for the sake of it. Wish there was some way we could've swung for Lundell earlier in the season before he caught fire..

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Funny how, reading this thread, it went from Lundell to never Lundell. From never Knight to absolutely Knight. All with absolutely no public utterances from either team. I still hold out hope for Lundell. It might cost us a 1st round pick plus Chychrun in a multiplayer trade. Lundell answers our greatest, longest need.

rt

May 13, 2004
Ah crap, I hadn't realized that. So basically if you make both picks 2023 and do the rest of the trade, then essentially you're getting Knight, who could end up being a franchise goalie, and Tippett, who has been entirely unimpressive since getting drafted. Those 2023 picks are late first and second and won't see impact for years.

It'd honestly be easier to just not trade with Florida. Unless BA is enamored with Knight, it feels like making a trade just for the sake of it. Wish there was some way we could've swung for Lundell earlier in the season before he caught fire..
That’s my fear. I’m afraid BA is obsessed with getting a goalie.

He didn’t trade OEL that first off-season when OEL actually had trade value because he supposedly wanted Demko.

Now, Boston and Florida, who have very crappy prospect pools and should in no way be involved, are the two teams mentioned most. They happen to be the only two teams in the NHL who’s best prospects are goalies. And they happen to have the two best goalie prospects in the league (much like Demko was off-season before last).

I don’t think this is a coincidence. I think BA believes he needs a young franchise goalie that can grow with the team. I disagree with this completely, but I believe it just based on connecting dots.

Especially now with Slovak fans telling us they’ve heard AZ had been on Nemec like a dog on a bone. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have Nemec 2nd overall and expect that short of a miraculous lottery win, he’ll be a Yote.

So maybe they figure Nemec replaces Chcyhrun and Chychrun gets them the franchise goalie they can’t get in the draft this year.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

LOL. You went from "Book it" to "it'd be easier to just not trade with Florida" in the span of about 30 minutes. :laugh:

I love this thread.

Reactions: PainForShane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: