Waived: Chuck Kobasew Sent to WBS (Post #179)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't understand why people are saying this is bad for Bylsma, he clearly didn't like Kobasew, he had Engelland play forward over him.

I know people don't like Bylsma, but let's not act like Kobasew was one of his favorites, because just like D'Agostini, Bylsma couldn't care less about Kobasew playing.

I beg to differ. After Duper got hurt, seems to me that Chucky got an extended look on Sid's line.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Everything works pro-rated now, I know about that. In terms of TDL, it´s still 1.55M of capspace. You throw away Pyatt´s 1.55M(prorated), you can then add other 1.55M-ish contract.
The cap isn't a problem. Pierre McGuire said the Pens will have like 12 million of cap space because of injured guys they can put on LTIR.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Odd that Kobasew was at practice and playing on a line, then gets waived. You'd think they'd do that before practice, but hey, what do I know? Just glad they finally did it :handclap:

oh ... and ...
Rv0Zi.gif

Maybe someone from upper management watched practice today and realized Kobasew was still here.

I know of a guy who was laid off that way one time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The cap isn't a problem. Pierre McGuire said the Pens will have like 12 million of cap space because they can put Letang and Martin on LTIR.

That assumes both Martin and Letang are out for the rest of the regular season. If that's the case, we are likely screwed anyway :laugh:

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Everything works pro-rated now, I know about that. In terms of TDL, it´s still 1.55M of capspace. You throw away Pyatt´s 1.55M(prorated), you can then add other 1.55M-ish contract.

Actually I meant since we claimed him off of waivers, we're not paying his full salary... but after checking capgeek, I'm kind of confused now.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
That assumes both Martin and Letang are out for the rest of the regular season. If that's the case, we are likely screwed anyway :laugh:
We don't need them in the regular season. I'm not sure we really need Letang at all given his play this season. It is fair to wonder how quickly Martin can get back to his normal form after returning but he's done it before. He was out until around the start of the playoffs last season with an injury.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

mathematically, Martin is all but guaranteed to be out until the playoffs.

The upper end of the 4-6 week timetable pushes just into the start of the playoffs

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We don't need them in the regular season. I'm not sure we really need Letang at all given his play this season. It is fair to wonder how quickly Martin can get back to his normal form after returning but he's done it before. He was out until around the start of the playoffs last season with an injury.

Yeah I'm just concerned about Martin returning in time for the playoffs and how he will perform. Without Letang, we need Martin to be a workhorse in the playoffs. Agreed about Letang but I would have preferred to see the players he would have returned in a trade in the lineup come playoff time :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
mathematically, Martin is all but guaranteed to be out until the playoffs.

The upper end of the 4-6 week timetable pushes just into the start of the playoffs

Yeah I get that but it doesn't make me feel good about the Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi led defense in the meantime.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

And Vokoun as well. I think it's really, really important that Vokoun gets a couple games under his belt before playoffs, so I'd rather Shero leave some space open for at least him to come back.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
You just called everyone out over Gibbons/Megna and there's literally no proof that this move has anything to do with either of them.

1) someone would have to be brought in to play 1RW to get Gibbons on the 3rd line

2) Megna would have to be recalled

It sounds like the Pens have been pretty aggressively scouting some RW options, too.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And Vokoun as well. I think it's really, really important that Vokoun gets a couple games under his belt before playoffs, so I'd rather Shero leave some space open for at least him to come back.

Good point. Yeah I definitely agree.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Again, you are attributing YOUR wants and beliefs to the Penguins organization and then using YOUR thoughts and beliefs to tell other people they were wrong when nothing to the contrary has happened.

Chuck Kobasew is still on the team and Gibbons has yet to take a regular 3rd line shift in his absence.

Shouldn't we wait for Gibbons or Megna to take a 3rd line shift before you say 'told ya so" ?

I'm with you on the "Kobasew is still on the team" part, but Gibbons has taken several shifts on the first line over Kobasew, including on Saturday night, when Kobasew was a healthy scratch, and Gibbons was in the lineup.

I think its pretty reasonable to assume that both Bylsma and Shero like Gibbons more than Kobasew at this point.

After all, if the Pens simply wanted to free up a roster spot, but still had some weird love for Kobasew, they could just send down Gibbons, who is exempt from waivers, or actually put Letang on IR retroactively (according to the team website, Letang and Martin are still active; neither is listed as being on IR).

Given the "Letang and/or Martin to IR" options, I'm starting to think they really will send down Kobasew when he clears waivers. (Then again, D'Agostini was claimed, so it's still possible that Kobasew could be, too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad