Waived: Chuck Kobasew Sent to WBS (Post #179)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Kobe looked really good when he was playing for a contract. The guy that we got after the injury was garbage. Unfortunately, if he isn't claimed I have a feeling he will stay with the big club, post deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The fact that Kobasew has played as many games as he has, despite being utterly useless for the vast majority of those games, suggests he's a "pet". If he wasn't a pet, the only time he'd ever see the lineup was when the Pens had a half dozen forwards out. But Kobasew continues to play even when the roster is largely intact (minus 1 or 2 guys).

The fact that when Dupuis first went down, it was Kobasew who was penciled in next to Crosby, instead of even trying any of the youngsters first.

The fact that just recently Engelland played defense and Despres sat in the press box so that Kobasew could play suggests he's a "pet".

Is he as entrenched as a guy like Adams? No. But you're being a blind homer if you believe he doesn't get favorable treatment ahead of more deserving youngsters.

Kobasew is an experienced NHL player with multiple 20 goal seasons under his belt. What NHL coach wouldn't have given him first crack at that spot over completely unproven rookies? What NHL coach wouldn't have given him multiple opportunities to prove he could do it again?

As for him continuing to play "even when the roster is largely intact" - that simply hasn't been true. Kobasew has frequently been a healthy scratch over the past couple of months, in favor of playing guys like Gibbons, Zolnierczyk, and Megna, not to mention playing Engelland at forward.

Playing him in one game following the Olympic break doesn't prove anything other than that they decided to give him one last chance. He obviously failed it, since he was scratched the very next game, and is now on waivers.

Adams is a pet. Glass is a pet. Kobasew is far from having that status. The difference is in what they've accomplished in the past. Kobasew doesn't have it anymore, but he'd had it in the past, and early in the season (as in, during pre-season and the first couple games), he showed flashes of possibly still having it. Adams and Glass never had it in the first place. That's why they are "pets", but Kobasew isn't.

I find it ironic that people around here want infinite chances for rookies to prove themselves and get better, but when there's a player who has actually proven that they are capable of more in the past, the same people want that guy immediately removed from the team the moment he doesn't produce. I guess because "potential" is more important than "experience" or "proven history".

Granted, I still think they played Kobasew more than they should have, but at the same time, I don't think it requires "pet" status in order for them to have done so. I saying I understand the decision, even if I don't agree with it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I don't understand what just happened. Most all waivers are for the purpose of re-assignment. I am not sure how the waiver helps our salary cap or roster situation, unless he doesn't take up a roster spot right now?

I assume they hoped he would be claimed.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Now that he's cleared, the Pens have a few days/games in which they can send him down without having to send him through waivers again. This means that if they need a roster space at the deadline, they can assign him immediately without having to wait. In the meantime, they still have an extra body in case of injuries.

Which is exactly the scenario I was originally thinking would be the case, and had subsequently managed to convince myself was not the case after all. Should have stuck with my first instinct on this one, I guess.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Now that he's cleared, the Pens have a few days/games in which they can send him down without having to send him through waivers again. This means that if they need a roster space at the deadline, they can assign him immediately without having to wait. In the meantime, they still have an extra body in case of injuries.

Which is exactly the scenario I was originally thinking would be the case, and had subsequently managed to convince myself was not the case after all. Should have stuck with my first instinct on this one, I guess.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up. Well, at least he's on deck to be gone.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Spot on. He's likely playing tonight, but now that he's cleared waivers he can be freely moved to WBS is a roster spot is needed tomorrow.

And thanks to the new CBA, "AHL Clear Day" is no longer a thing. That simplifies the situation immensely.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
So now that that is cleared up, he's practicing on a line with Glass & Adams.

Yeah, that's right.

Glass-Adams-Kobasew

In my mind, that is THE worst line in the history of hockey.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kobasew is an experienced NHL player with multiple 20 goal seasons under his belt. What NHL coach wouldn't have given him first crack at that spot over completely unproven rookies? What NHL coach wouldn't have given him multiple opportunities to prove he could do it again?

Kobasew hasn't been a 20 goal scorer since the 2008-09 season. That's five full seasons ago. Should the Pens trade for Dany Heatley to solve the top six scoring issue since he scored 50 goals at some point in the past decade?

Your reasoning is questionable considering how long ago Kobasew scored those totals. He's no more a "20-goal guy" than Heatley is a bonafide 50 goal guy or Bertuzzi is a 40 goal powerforward. So defending the coaching staff's decision to play him as though he was the player he was half a decade ago is kind of strange.

Granted, I still think they played Kobasew more than they should have, but at the same time, I don't think it requires "pet" status in order for them to have done so. I saying I understand the decision, even if I don't agree with it.

So you essentially agree with me (Kobasew playing when he shouldn't), but you argued semantics just because I used the word "pet".

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
aaaand he's back

bylsmapump.gif

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
So now that that is cleared up, he's practicing on a line with Glass & Adams.

Yeah, that's right.

Glass-Adams-Kobasew

In my mind, that is THE worst line in the history of hockey.
That's pretty sick. :cry:
I would prefer to play 3 lines an 9 D instead (or 8 D and 2 goalies...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad