Post-Game Talk: Christmas graduates again

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
ironic how the OBC put edmonton on the map as far as hockey and now they're the ones responsible for the club's ineptitude.

6b14bf95848d7cbc274662ee68e397f8438b585e275af5b7dee51dac66cab350.jpg

Sadly their lust to relive the glory years have resulted in the same thing as the long faded glamour moviestar who is now on her 7th face lift, 3rd set of implants, and taking B-movie roles along with Dancing With The Stars, game show guest appearances and is an answer to trivia questions. These guys lived their day and I’m sick and f***ing tired of them f***ing this team up for the last 15 years. Time to clean house and relegate them to shaking hands in the luxury boxes and autograph sessions on the main concourse before games. These twits couldn’t manage a lemonaid stand never mind a hockey team with a value in excess of $750M.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I predicted a loss. This was a critical one. Team is not going to make the playoffs and have been surpassed by other teams which were below them. Too bad as Hitch gave them a boost but it seems only temporary. Nest Chia leave and let another GM try to get the team back on course next year. Goodbye to the regulars like Lucic, Kassian, Broadziak, Benning , Talbot, Caggula, Wideman, Garrison, Reider.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I predicted a loss. This was a critical one. Team is not going to make the playoffs and have been surpassed by other teams which were below them. Too bad as Hitch gave them a boost but it seems only temporary. Nest Chia leave and let another GM try to get the team back on course next year. Goodbye to the regulars like Lucic, Kassian, Broadziak, Benning , Talbot, Caggula, Wideman, Garrison, Reider.

I expect to see Broadziak back as our 4th line center and Caggulia will be resigned and then either waived or traded unless he has a helluva training camp, me thinks.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
well, i'm not quite sure connor's gonna have the patience for a significant improvement (serious cup contender) that may take a few years yet. i said it last novmeber but i think time is running short on connor's patience here. at this point it would not surprise me at all in a year or two if connor and the org just throw up their hands and part ways. the org might have the appetite to do this because of the vast wealth of assets he would bring in in a trade. obviously no where near ideal but it would not surprise me....

I tend to agree, and have this conversation with my buddies. Edmonton is in a unique spot. Look at the league, the best teams are the ones that had true builds with most of their core guys being from within the organization. This organization has simultaneously traded away all meaningful depth while at the same time being terrible at drafting and development. There is a lot of promise now, but is McDavid gonna be ok to waste another 3-4 years for the ship to right itself? Trade him and you probably have a deeper team, but it would be franchise suicide. I don't see McDavid being 25 and in this situation. I think we have at most, 3 years to become an elite team or he's probably asking for a trade, and I think the majority of fans would be totally accepting and understanding of that given his generational talent and the organization's generational ineptitude.

I think as a fan base we need to mentally prepare ourselves to see Connor lift the cup while wearing another team's jersey.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Having the Top 3 D back... who can’t move the puck to save their life.. isn’t going to score us goals.

I got booed for trying to start a fire chia chant tonight. Says enough about this team and fans.
I cant imagine why you got booed...

Marpole Dealer

Dec 19, 2014
Only 2 points out of a playoff spot boys, I personally think that we are about to go on a nice little run here so I’m not worried.

Not going to lie but I think the boys looked at Vancouvers pathetic roster and got caught underestimating them. Let’s be honest though with a healthy squad and unbiased reffing, we win this game almost every time.

#Boilieve

Take Connor out of the equation and you think for a second we're any better than them? Honestly?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is what it is. It's pretty obvious this is a mediocre team.

If you give them .920 goaltending + McDavid playing at an Art Ross level + very minimal injuries + total buy-in to Hitch's system they can maybe sneak into the playoffs, but that's a lot of ifs. And if any of those "ifs" goes the other way, they completely collapse. Which is about what has happened the last 6 games.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Everybody ripping on every player again huh. First off, Vancouver is not terrible, they have been playing well lately. We are 3 defensemen down which is hard to overcome, especially if your goalie has a bad night.

We outplayed the Canucks in this game, we simply lost the game on the first 6 shots of the game...it sucks BUT it happens occasionally. With slightly above average or even average goaltending, we win this game. Also a little bad luck with the posts tonight.

Lets hope the goalies rebound!

Reactions: Oilhawks

space321

May 11, 2011
And you posted last game when he scored twice and had four points in a 5-2 win, right?

he probably thinks NJ losing is Hall's fault. I wonder if he thinks us losing is McDavid's fault? All the arguments used for Hall fits McDavid tbh...

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
he probably thinks NJ losing is Hall's fault.
No doubt he does. Hall and Eberle took all the heat for the losing Oiler teams - with posters like him leading the mob.
I wonder if he thinks us losing is McDavid's fault? All the arguments used for Hall fits McDavid tbh...
Not all. I’m sure McDavid is a complete gentleman in public and gives no one the chance to question his commitment or maturity.

space321

May 11, 2011
No doubt he does. Hall and Eberle took all the heat for the losing Oiler teams - with posters like him leading the mob.
Not all. I’m sure McDavid is a complete gentleman in public and gives no one the chance to question his commitment or maturity.

it's only a matter of time before the rumors come out,

hell i'll start some next week

Plevna

Nov 2, 2018
It was not all Koskinen reason. First goal was good shot from open spot. Second one was unstoppable and after that Pettersson did what he can do. This young man is wizard. Our defense was bad in first period. And after all it's reason to remember that if you will make only two goal on hockey game usually you will lose. Bad team effort.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Boy, I'm glad I missed that one.

Not unexpected though. I said it even during the winning times that the Hitchcock Honeymoon period was merely lipstick on a pig propped up by unsustainably hot goaltending and was bound to regress to the mean at some point.

You can't consistently win hockey games nowadays playing "Hitchcock Hockey" trying to grind out low scoring wins all the time, there's just no room for error playing that way. In fairness to Hitchcock, that's the way this Scorched Earth Chia roster has to play. It's a roster that's outmatched from a talent standpoint just about every game even when healthy but with the injuries? No chance to maintain playoff position.

I'm resigned to their fate this season and am just waiting for Chia to be fired. All I ask is that he not be allowed to make another mistake for the sake of job preservation. The worst thing he can do is deal the 1st rounder for a rental. Thankfully, due to his own incompetence, the Oilers don't have the cap space to make such a move.
I think (I know) it's time to just cut the cord, admit this regime was a failure and fire him now. The Oilers are always a day late and a buck short when it comes to firings, lets not make that mistake again.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
McDavid looked furious. The losing and horrible squad around him has to be eating him alive.

When will he want out? Peter Chiarelli has screwed us. There is no relief in sight either. It's funny, you get paid to fail in Edmonton

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
-missing Klefbom, Larsson, Khaira, Chiasson and Sekera hurts badly
-the Hitch effect is over...the start was concerning
-Koskinen was terrible
-4 straight losses...

There was no "Hitch effect". The goalie previously made saves that he's not making now. The team hasn't been good the entire Hitch era to be quite honest and are a hot Koskinen away from being where they were last year. Same team as last season outside of the hot goalie stretch.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Boy, I'm glad I missed that one.

Not unexpected though. I said it even during the winning times that the Hitchcock Honeymoon period was merely lipstick on a pig propped up by unsustainably hot goaltending and was bound to regress to the mean at some point.

You can't consistently win hockey games nowadays playing "Hitchcock Hockey" trying to grind out low scoring wins all the time, there's just no room for error playing that way. In fairness to Hitchcock, that's the way this Scorched Earth Chia roster has to play. It's a roster that's outmatched from a talent standpoint just about every game even when healthy but with the injuries? No chance to maintain playoff position.

I'm resigned to their fate this season and am just waiting for Chia to be fired. All I ask is that he not be allowed to make another mistake for the sake of job preservation. The worst thing he can do is deal the 1st rounder for a rental. Thankfully, due to his own incompetence, the Oilers don't have the cap space to make such a move.
I think (I know) it's time to just cut the cord, admit this regime was a failure and fire him now. The Oilers are always a day late and a buck short when it comes to firings, lets not make that mistake again.

I'm willing to bet the farm that Chia is not allowed to complete a trade without higher approval. If not, we probably would have Ceci for RNH by now. Chiarelli will go down as the worst GM of all time. He makes Milbury or Snow look like Einstein

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
29 and 97 with over 27 minutes each in a regulation game, they're gonna get run to the ground at this rate

this team has no depth, puljujarvi still should be in the AHL to develop, and the 'identity line' shouldn't get anywhere over 10 minutes per game...

we picked up zykov and played him 6 minutes lol

I heard they are asking Oiler management to fix the problems on the Space Station. Anyone else here that? That want Chia in charge

"Ground Control to Major Chia"

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I love how people continue to pinpoint the blame on fringe/low tier players.

Those players you list are either on 1 year contracts that we can easily cut loose from (Zykov/Rattie/Garrison), or are actually decent but being played above their weight class (like Benning and Brodziak).

The problem with this team stems from guys like Spooner/Lucic/Kassian, players who have term AND high cap hits but aren't contributing ****.

If Rieder busts for us it's no big deal because he's gone. If Rattie sucks he's gone. If Lucic sucks he's here for 4 more years.

We are gonna have a pile of money tied up in buy-outs. Great money management Chia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad