Post-Game Talk: Christmas graduates again

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Injuries are a huge concern for us right now.

Nashville was the top/deepest teams in the league, then injuries hit them.

They are 3-6-1 in their last 10
This was always going to be a concern. This team simply doesn't have the depth for any of Klef, Nurse, Russell or Larsson to go down. Even if we did have Sekera it was going to be a concern.

As for the game itself. Oil played pretty good most of the game. Koskinen just looked like a Danish goalie though and it cost us

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nuge
Drai
Mcdavid

Thats some luxury on forwards that most teams in the league dont have.

McDavid is the only luxury the Oilers have. A lot of teams have a Draisaitl and a Nuge. The difference is that the Oilers have one of the worst rosters in the league outside of those 3. Is there a worse combination of wingers and defense in the league?

Reactions: harpoon

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This was always going to be a concern. This team simply doesn't have the depth for any of Klef, Nurse, Russell or Larsson to go down. Even if we did have Sekera it was going to be a concern.

As for the game itself. Oil played pretty good most of the game. Koskinen just looked like a Danish goalie though and it cost us

I agree, im also pointing out that the best team in the league cant afford top players to be injured and be able to sustain the same results.

Koski was horrible last night, gotta go right back to him next game. Lets see what we have here. Talbot has only won 2 of his last 10 games, I dont think he should get the next start.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
McDavid is the only luxury the Oilers have. A lot of teams have a Draisaitl and a Nuge. The difference is that the Oilers have one of the worst rosters in the league outside of those 3. Is there a worse combination of wingers and defense in the league?

Oh yeah, lots.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree, im also pointing out that the best team in the league cant afford top players to be injured and be able to sustain the same results.

Koski was horrible last night, gotta go right back to him next game. Lets see what we have here. Talbot has only won 2 of his last 10 games, I dont think he should get the next start.

Talbot was playing quite well yesterday compared to what I've seen from him in the past. Not sure who they go to though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really don't know many teams that have 3 centers in the top 30 for points among centers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh yeah, lots.

Oh yeah, who?
I should add "natural wingers" to that.

Even teams like Boston and Colorado that are top heavy have better support players than the Oilers do. Which team has a worse supporting cast outside of their top 3 players?

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was thinking to myself that the Nucks have to have a damn high shooting percentage. Sure enough 8th in the league.

Their play is just atrocious, but they sure know how to capitalize on their chances

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Talbot was playing quite well yesterday compared to what I've seen from him in the past. Not sure who they go to though.

I would ride whoever is hot.

Let Talbot play the next game against San Jose, and then see from there.
And while Talbot only has 2 wins in his past 10, he has looked solid in most of them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would ride whoever is hot.

Let Talbot play the next game against San Jose, and then see from there.
And while Talbot only has 2 wins in his past 10, he has looked solid in most of them.
That's what Hitch use to kinda do. Win and you play. Talbot didn't win, but he didn't lose either

Reactions: Llamamoto

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Really don't know many teams that have 3 centers in the top 30 for points among centers.

Two of those centers had extensive time with McDavid so the numbers are skewed a bit.

I like Drai and Nuge but lots of teams have guys like that and the Oilers still don't have two consistent scoring lines even with those guys. McDavid is the real luxury.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Two of those centers had extensive time with McDavid so the numbers are skewed a bit.

I like Drai and Nuge but lots of teams have guys like that and the Oilers still don't have two consistent scoring lines even with those guys. McDavid is the real luxury.
I don't really care if they play with McDavid, there are a lot of guys that have played with him and did nothing. So it's not like just because you play with McDavid that everything you do shouldn't count.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
not that I can think of!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The really issue was Koskinen. The team has it's flaws, but the team wasn't the issue yesterday. One guy didn't show up and the team couldn't come back.

4 goals on 6 shots is unacceptable. Even if all 6 shots were clear break downs(which they weren't) that's still unacceptable.
The Oilers consistently got walked last night and generated zero goals at even strength. The team failed last night, not just Koskinen.

They had two more periods to score three goals and managed one. The flyers last night erased a 3 goal deficit in about 6 minutes against the leagues top team. The Oilers as a team just aren’t good enough.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The really issue was Koskinen. The team has it's flaws, but the team wasn't the issue yesterday. One guy didn't show up and the team couldn't come back.

4 goals on 6 shots is unacceptable. Even if all 6 shots were clear break downs(which they weren't) that's still unacceptable.
Agreed. He didn't show up ready after the holidays at all. Give talbot the next couple of starts. I still think koskinen is the better goaltender but after that stinker he needs a seat on the pine for a bit.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't really care if they play with McDavid, there are a lot of guys that have played with him and did nothing. So it's not like just because you play with McDavid that everything you do shouldn't count.

The Oilers still have a 2nd line that doesn't score that much so it's not that special of a luxury. Until Drai or RNH can run a high level 2nd line, it's not much of a luxury.

The stats you posted are inflated because of McDavid, neither has scored at that rate over a full season away from him so it is a factor with the raw numbers.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Nuge
Drai
Mcdavid

Thats some luxury on forwards that most teams in the league dont have.
Thats hardly depth. Thats who your top 3 forwards are. And in the scheme of elite players, only one of those 3 can drive a line.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Im sorry. I thought our terriblness was on TMac. Or at least thats what I heard a few weeks ago. He was also the reason why JP wasn't a productive NHL'r. Hows all that going now?
Funny how Hitch cant get this pathetic roster to perform and then loses game after game when he gets TMac like tending.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maybe the other 2Cs are leeching off of the 3rd one to get their points.
Drai and Nuge are not top 30 Cs in the league. Might not be top 50

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
On the plus side...Kostko cant ask for too much in the off season.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Maybe the other 2Cs are leeching off of the 3rd one to get their points.
Drai and Nuge are not top 30 Cs in the league. Might not be top 50

I wouldn't expect 2nd line C's to be up in the tops 30 of c's with wingers who shouldn't be in the NHL. However every time those same C's get paired with a highly skilled player they produce.

So to me the mistake was made when we lost a line driver for our 2nd line and didnt replace them

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Im sorry. I thought our terriblness was on TMac. Or at least thats what I heard a few weeks ago. He was also the reason why JP wasn't a productive NHL'r. Hows all that going now?
Funny how Hitch cant get this pathetic roster to perform and then loses game after game when he gets TMac like tending.
Hitch had the team performing when they didnt have Gravel and Jones playing in top 4.
Klefa and Russell being out is a big factor why we are losing games of late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad