Player Discussion Christian Jaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good stuff. Always liked Jaros and feel like he could be an excellent 3rd pairing guy who could play top 4 if needed.
Hoping he really comes in and finds his game, his raw ability is terrific and he is a good right handed shot compliment to all the offensive lefties they have. Glad he gets paid either way he has been a hard working foot soldier for this organization.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed. And I'm still hoping that Lajoie can be a smooth skating, two-way (mostly D) defenseman. IF he comes back FULLY healed and back to 100% from his injury then I could definitely see an NHL career for him.

As for Jaros, I find it interesting that he's getting $250,000 in the AHL. If we hadn't got Brown and Gudbranson I'd say this is a good sign that he has the inside track for a spot with the big club. Now I don't know what to think. I like the signing and I'd like to see Jaros make the team. He's mobile, he hits and he still has room to grow, IMO.
I thought Jaros was very good at the AHL level but seems to lack confidence in the NHL. Might be just a matter of adjusting to the speed and system, but he has yet to show that he is ready to do so imo.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I thought Jaros was very good at the AHL level but seems to lack confidence in the NHL. Might be just a matter of adjusting to the speed and system, but he has yet to show that he is ready to do so imo.
I thought he looked ok under Boucher but the leash was very tight with DJ and he seemed to struggle. Maybe he couldnt grasp the system? I am not sure, I am glad they arent giving up on him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought his days were numbered after a development camp incident behind the net when he got into it with Harpur & Harpur was cross checking the hell out of his back & he hardly responded to it. He seems nervous with the puck & indecisive & while he has good size doesn't play very physical Takes more than he gives. IMO if you are slated to play on the bottom D pair you have to play a more physical game in the NHL otherwise other teams will take advantage of that, that's how Boro made his name in the NHL as a vicious hitter & willing fighter.

Too bad, I was hoping he would be much better, I think we'll see a huge improvement when Kleven comes along in a few yrs & plays that physical style they need. Gudbranson & J. Brown should also improve the defence in that way this yr.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I thought his days were numbered after a development camp incident behind the net when he got into it with Harpur & Harpur was cross checking the hell out of his back & he hardly responded to it. He seems nervous with the puck & indecisive & while he has good size doesn't play very physical Takes more than he gives. IMO if you are slated to play on the bottom D pair you have to play a more physical game in the NHL otherwise other teams will take advantage of that, that's how Boro made his name in the NHL as a vicious hitter & willing fighter.

Too bad, I was hoping he would be much better, I think we'll see a huge improvement when Kleven comes along in a few yrs & plays that physical style they need. Gudbranson & J. Brown should also improve the defence in that way this yr.

Jaros goes for the big hit just like Boro does. It's the other parts of his game that need fine tuning. Not wanting to fight a plug like Harpur during dev camp isn't really a good indicator. He's physical more like a Volchenkov (obviously not as good yet) rather than a Boro or J. Brown who tend to fight more. Although Jaros has gotten into it a few times since coming to NA.

Still a reasonable chance for this guy to be a decent NHLer. He moves pretty darn well for a big guy. I would like to give him a chance to figure things out at the NHL level.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed. And I'm still hoping that Lajoie can be a smooth skating, two-way (mostly D) defenseman. IF he comes back FULLY healed and back to 100% from his injury then I could definitely see an NHL career for him.

As for Jaros, I find it interesting that he's getting $250,000 in the AHL. If we hadn't got Brown and Gudbranson I'd say this is a good sign that he has the inside track for a spot with the big club. Now I don't know what to think. I like the signing and I'd like to see Jaros make the team. He's mobile, he hits and he still has room to grow, IMO.

And he is one of fastest skaters on the team! :)

6’3 and 220 lbs. I want to send him to the Chris Neil fighting school.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
I thought he looked ok under Boucher but the leash was very tight with DJ and he seemed to struggle. Maybe he couldnt grasp the system? I am not sure, I am glad they arent giving up on him.
How can this be possible, Boucher said it took 8 weeks for a player to fully grasp his system??

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Would really like to see Jaros being the stable 3rd pairing RD for a few years

How can this be possible, Boucher said it took 8 weeks for a player to fully grasp his system??

I listened to an Alex Burrows interview and he was saying Boucher's system was the longest and most complicated to fully grasp that he has seen in hockey.

That being said, maybe Jaros had problems adjusting to the coaching change and then started to have confidence issues. Pretty standard for young players. Let's see if he can rebound. But how can you rebound when there's a potential logjam? Zaitsev, Gudbranson, Brown, Brannstrom? Reilly? Wolanin? All guys that can play RD

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Would really like to see Jaros being the stable 3rd pairing RD for a few years

I listened to an Alex Burrows interview and he was saying Boucher's system was the longest and most complicated to fully grasp that he has seen in hockey.

That being said, maybe Jaros had problems adjusting to the coaching change and then started to have confidence issues. Pretty standard for young players. Let's see if he can rebound. But how can you rebound when there's a potential logjam? Zaitsev, Gudbranson, Brown, Brannstrom? Reilly? Wolanin? All guys that can play RD

It's why getting BOTH Brown and Gudbranson bothers me a little. We ain't competing for a cup this year. Let one of our more seasoned prospects do some developing in the NHL. Brown and Gud are done getting better. Let's see if maybe we can develop a gem. Jaros is a player that might end up being better than both. If not? Well, we move on and draft in the lottery for one more year.

Reactions: Bileur and Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Jaros seems like one of these players who looks great in one game & then can't get the puck out of his skates in the next game (Ceci) & gets bowled over or knocked down easily. Seems to have all the tools, size & skating, but lacks the toolbox at times. Is it nerves, inexperience or lacks the confidence & quick decision making ability? Maybe the game is a split second to fast for him & he can't react or decide fast enough? Who knows, something's not quite right.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Jaros seems like one of these players who looks great in one game & then can't get the puck out of his skates in the next game (Ceci) & gets bowled over or knocked down easily. Seems to have all the tools, size & skating, but lacks the toolbox at times. Is it nerves, inexperience or lacks the confidence & quick decision making ability? Maybe the game is a split second to fast for him & he can't react or decide fast enough? Who knows, something's not quite right.

Hopefully, with a supportive coaching staff providing positive constructive feedback and simple clear guidance, he can gain confidence playing a simple game. He has the size and high speed skating. I guess he needs more time and support. It’s too early to move on.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We never really heard what happened to Jaros at the world championships a few years back - sounded like he got cut... DJ isn’t the only one who sees the limitations in his game.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's why getting BOTH Brown and Gudbranson bothers me a little. We ain't competing for a cup this year. Let one of our more seasoned prospects do some developing in the NHL. Brown and Gud are done getting better. Let's see if maybe we can develop a gem. Jaros is a player that might end up being better than both. If not? Well, we move on and draft in the lottery for one more year.
Saying Josh Brown is done getting better is asinine. There are many examples of D improving at his age. I think he has a chance to be pretty good for us I believe, although you seem to have already pre judged him so you probably won’t accept it if he does play well.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Saying Josh Brown is done getting better is asinine. There are many examples of D improving at his age. I think he has a chance to be pretty good for us I believe, although you seem to have already pre judged him so you probably won’t accept it if he does play well.

Since you like to throw insults around and put words in my mouth perhaps you can elaborate on your views on Josh Brown's upside. While you're at it explain why you think a soon to be 27 year old D who has shown little progression in the AHL will all of a sudden become a good NHL player.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Since you like to throw insults around and put words in my mouth perhaps you can elaborate on your views on Josh Brown's upside. While you're at it explain why you think a soon to be 27 year old D who has shown little progression in the AHL will all of a sudden become a good NHL player.

Generally speaking, I'd say the onus is on you to support your assertion that he's done getting better.

Here's what Dorion said

“People might question Josh Brown, I can tell you one thing about him, we think he’s just scratching the surface. He’s played just under 100 games in his career, he’s going to bring character and leadership to how D.J. wants to play in boxing out"

So it's your assertion that Brown is "done getting better"

How about you support that assertion?

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you. I look at what the team has done and my conclusion is they don't have a lot of confidence in Jaros and that's based simply on the actions they've taken.

Compare and contrast DeMelo and Jaros. DeMelo seems to have been someone they thought would blossom with opportunity and he did. Doesn't seem like they want to give Jaros much opportunity

Anyway...looking forward to hear your thoughts on why Brown is done getting better

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Generally speaking, I'd say the onus is on you to support your assertion that he's done getting better.

Here's what Dorion said

“People might question Josh Brown, I can tell you one thing about him, we think he’s just scratching the surface. He’s played just under 100 games in his career, he’s going to bring character and leadership to how D.J. wants to play in boxing out"

To be clear, I'm not arguing with you. I look at what the team has done and my conclusion is they don't have a lot of confidence in Jaros and that's based simply on the actions they've taken.

Compare and contrast DeMelo and Jaros. DeMelo seems to have been someone they thought would blossom with opportunity and he did. Doesn't seem like they want to give Jaros much opportunity

Anyway...looking forward to hear your thoughts on why Brown is done getting better

He's 7 years post draft and his game hasn't really improved at the AHL level. Evidence would suggest that trajectory would apply to his NHL game as well.

Dorion quotes are cool and all but he said trading Mark Stone for Brannstrom was his proudest day. So grains of salt and all.

Maybe he will improve but right now I doubt he is even asked to be more than a 6th D.

Hopefully he's a useful player for us but I'd prefer the younger player with more tools be given a shot. I guess that qualifies as "asinine". :(

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's 7 years post draft and his game hasn't really improved at the AHL level. Evidence would suggest that trajectory would apply to his NHL game as well.

Dorion quotes are cool and all but he said trading Mark Stone for Brannstrom was his proudest day. So grains of salt and all.

Maybe he will improve but right now I doubt he is even asked to be more than a 6th D.

Hopefully he's a useful player for us but I'd prefer the younger player with more tools be given a shot. I guess that qualifies as "asinine". :(

Only 93 NHL games though... He won't improve enough to be a Colton Parayko but he can still get better. Experience is important. He was a 6th round pick and a very long-term project. Started his pro career in the ECHL so he has come a long way.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I didn’t insult you, I said your comment about Brown being a finished product was asinine. He has progressed nicely from a split year in the ECHL/AHL to 2 solid seasons in the A. He was a pretty good D man last year as a rookie in Florida. I bet you were just checking out his stats page when you say he has shown little progression. Not all D are point producers, you need 3rd pairing D that are solid, can skate and aren’t a liability. Your history leads me to believe you think 6 offensive D makes a good D corps, I completely disagree.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bit wierd to be talking Brown in a Jaros thread...

At 26, i think you typically don't see a lot of d drastically improve so i don't expect to see Brown take huge strides but you might see a guy get the opportunity to show his stuff which sometimes gets viewed as improvement. Maybe he can be this years DeMelo.

I do find it odd that the team seems so down on Jaros, he looked great in the AHL, and the contract he signed suggests they recognize that at least, but they seem to have no interest in him at the NHL level...

I guess they'd rather he force his way into the lineup, can't blame them for that. If he can find his game at the NHL level he has all the tools to be a very effective bottom 4 dman imo.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bit wierd to be talking Brown in a Jaros thread...

At 26, i think you typically don't see a lot of d drastically improve so i don't expect to see Brown take huge strides but you might see a guy get the opportunity to show his stuff which sometimes gets viewed as improvement. Maybe he can be this years DeMelo.

I do find it odd that the team seems so down on Jaros, he looked great in the AHL, and the contract he signed suggests they recognize that at least, but they seem to have no interest in him at the NHL level...

I guess they'd rather he force his way into the lineup, can't blame them for that. If he can find his game at the NHL level he has all the tools to be a very effective bottom 4 dman imo.
Brown came up as he was brought in to be 3rd pair RD which pushes Jaros to the AHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Here's what Dorion said

Yeah dorion is definitely a believer in very late bloomers. Just look at our draft.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I didn’t insult you, I said your comment about Brown being a finished product was asinine. He has progressed nicely from a split year in the ECHL/AHL to 2 solid seasons in the A. He was a pretty good D man last year as a rookie in Florida. I bet you were just checking out his stats page when you say he has shown little progression. Not all D are point producers, you need 3rd pairing D that are solid, can skate and aren’t a liability. Your history leads me to believe you think 6 offensive D makes a good D corps, I completely disagree.

Cool. Not an insult.

I see you're still using that strawman fallacy though and putting words in my mouth. I'd say that, given I'm advocating Christian Jaros's inclusion in the lineup, your strawman that I'd want all offensive D is pretty much the epitome of stupidity too. That's not an insult. Just a fact.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Anyway once the team got Gudbranson I'd rather see Jaros in the lineup than Brown. It's not that Brown can't be a serviceable #6D, it's just that he probably won't bring much that Gubranson can't, if anything. Jaros has the potential, with his speed, size, shot, etc., to perhaps bring something a little different.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cool. Not an insult.

I see you're still using that strawman fallacy though and putting words in my mouth. I'd say that, given I'm advocating Christian Jaros's inclusion in the lineup, your strawman that I'd want all offensive D is pretty much the epitome of stupidity too. That's not an insult. Just a fact.
Your exact quote a responded to was “Brown and Gud are done getting better.“. That’s all. You keep changing the argument when I simply sai it was asinine to say a 26 year old D is a finished product. Everything else you have said is just noise.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Your exact quote a responded to was “Brown and Gud are done getting better.“. That’s all. You keep changing the argument when I simply sai it was asinine to say a 26 year old D is a finished product. Everything else you have said is just noise.

You called it asinine and then then added a few things, to which I responded.

I think asinine is a little over the top when we're talking about a guy who has failed to be a full-time regular on one of the worst blue lines in the league. This all at around the peak age for D in the NHL (26 years old).

Now he was the 6-7 D on a bad Florida blue line last year and has yet to establish himself as a true NHL regular. What makes it so "asinine" to think that he won't become better than that all of a sudden?

Will he ever be more than a bottom pairing defensemen in the NHL? Will he ever be a second pairing player even on our league-worst defense? I think it's fair to say, and far from asinine, that the most probable answer to those questions is no. So if he goes from being a 6-7 on Florida to being a 5-7 on an even worse Ottawa D, has he improved? What's the actual upside for this player?

Again, assuming that a player who hasn't been a good top 4 D as a pro (AHL and NHL) in 5 years, has not much room to improve is a pretty fair assumption. Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll see how well he plays but I think AT BEST he's Eric Gryba. I think Christian Jaros could very well become better than that, given enough of a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad