Player Discussion Christian Jaros

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I'd think as it stands now he will be in the AHL pending what happens with Karlsson. I see the RHD as Karlsson/Ceci/Wideman. Caveat Wideman was not great last year on D and was moved to F before his injury That could open a spot for Jaros if that happens, but I do not believe it will.

Assuming Karlsson gets traded, I think you would see Wideman add PP responsibilities to what he was doing , Ceci will add more 5 on 5 and move away a bit from the D responsibilities, and Jaros will slide into the 3rd D spot and pick 14-16 minutes of game of lighter defensively responsible minutes. From there see how all three respond.

Potential? Always tough to say with D men, but it the chance of him developing any offensive game is pretty slim, so the best we can hope for is a defensive minded player with an edge.

Alternatively the Sens could go with a LHD instead on the right side arguably sidelining Jaros to the A, not a favorite move of mine, but half the league has to do that anyways given the lack of RHD.

Reactions: ThreePosts

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'd think as it stands now he will be in the AHL pending what happens with Karlsson. I see the RHD as Karlsson/Ceci/Wideman. Caveat Wideman was not great last year on D and was moved to F before his injury.

I actually thought that Wideman played well on D, and that he was moved to forward out of necessity, not because of defensive play. They were playing 7 D and were already using Nate Thompson and Nick Paul on the 4th line. Since Guy refused to give the young guys a shot, he went with an offensive minded Dman to fill the minutes.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not true. Wideman was good on d.
Jaros’ decision making and skating needs to be tested at the nhl level.
He has bottom pairing potential as of now I would say.

Reactions: aragorn

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
A pairing of Boro and Jaros would be terrifying and hilarious all at the same time.

They'd never connect a single breakout pass, but the hits would be glorious

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
people really underrating Jaros here. the guy can move the puck effectively out of his own end. when he was healthy in belleville he was their best defender last season w/o a doubt. dunno why people are pigeonholing him as this boro type guy who just goes for big hits and whatnot.

i think its unfortunate that he's most likely going to be buried in the AHL atleast for one more season because I think he could be an upgrade on our bottom pairing right now w/ the potential to be a #4 dman. don't think he will provide much offense at the NHL level but can be an effective player for sure. he's a solid skater too.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If Ceci gets a richer than Melynk wants arbitration, he could be traded. That opens the gates for Jaros. Jaros reminds me a lot of Volchenkov. With the right partner, he will develop into a solid, complimentary player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO we should see more of Jaros next season after the trade deadline when Wideman might get moved to open up a spot for him or sooner due to injuries. I think he might be somewhere around 7th or 8th on the depth chart, hopefully they don't bring back Burgdoerfer or Sieloff as injury replacements or to give them some NHL time as vets in the AHL.

Reactions: Deku

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Apparently I've been seeing a different jaros. All I read is he likes to go for big hits...yet every time I see him he looks like a decent skater, puck carrier, and someone who likes to hold on to the puck, make plays, dangle, and look for passes to create offense...and yes, he has size and goes for big hits. But he looks like more of a 2 way physical defenseman. Someone who goes for offense a lot more than a Phillips/volchenkov/Methot that play hot potato with the puck in the offensive zone.

Maybe I was super stoned and watching someone else, I dunno, but I'm pretty good with knowing who's who on the ice.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Apparently I've been seeing a different jaros. All I read is he likes to go for big hits...yet every time I see him he looks like a decent puck skater, puck carrier, and someone who likes to hold on to the puck, make plays, dangle, and look for passes to create offense...and yes, he has size and goes for big hits. But he looks like more of a 2 way physical defenseman. Someone who goes for offense a lot more than a Phillips/volchenkov/Methot that play hot potato with the puck in the offensive zone.

Maybe I was super stoned and watching someone else, I dunno, but I'm pretty good with knowing who's who on the ice.
Yeah I saw this too,good skater and good puck skills along with the physical play..He may become our most important defender,after a signed EK of course

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Whatever I have seen or read about Jaros reminds me of what we thought we had in one Viking Claesson, big and can hit like a truck. I get Borowiecki vibes, for all the slack at pro level Boro was considered to be an above average performer in Bingo after being full part of their Calder Cup campaign as a rookie with only a handful of regular season games after coming over from the minors.

I am not betting my house on him, some here are very optimistic. But he physically appears ready for top-7 spot duties.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Apparently I've been seeing a different jaros. All I read is he likes to go for big hits...yet every time I see him he looks like a decent skater, puck carrier, and someone who likes to hold on to the puck, make plays, dangle, and look for passes to create offense...and yes, he has size and goes for big hits. But he looks like more of a 2 way physical defenseman. Someone who goes for offense a lot more than a Phillips/volchenkov/Methot that play hot potato with the puck in the offensive zone.

This is a great description of Jaros.ive seen the same things.

Reactions: Daffy

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Whatever I have seen or read about Jaros reminds me of what we thought we had in one Viking Claesson, big and can hit like a truck. I get Borowiecki vibes, for all the slack at pro level Boro was considered to be an above average performer in Bingo after being full part of their Calder Cup campaign as a rookie with only a handful of regular season games after coming over from the minors.

I am not betting my house on him, some here are very optimistic. But he physically appears ready for top-7 spot duties.

The only similar trait he has with Boro is physicality. It ends there. Jaros is a top 5 prospect for me. Super high on him.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Thats still not the NHL he was doing that in though, its a huge jump to the NHL.

Lets not forget that Harpur was a noticeably bigger offensive force in the AHL last year, 50% better, And Harpur managed 1 assist in 41 NHL games. You are talking a 21 yr old Jaros who could not come close to Ceci production as a 19 yr old in the A.

The chances of Jaros becoming much more than a 10ish point D man in the NHL are not very high. Does not mean he is a bad prospect, but he never likely will be a two way D man.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It is hard to tell what is full upside is but he has a lot of tools. I could see him even be a top pairing guy similar to that of Marc Methot. He even put up similar numbers to Methot in the AHL. He seems very mobile which is a very good thing. He could even be a more mobile Phaneuf-lite with worse offensive production. He probably ends up as a solid 2nd pairing d man which would still be great for the Sens. He already seems ready for a bottom pairing role.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, if he can play well defensively, and is mobile and skates well, and can make a good pass out of the zone...then he should get some good icetime. Any points are just a bonus. What we desperately need, are blueliners who can play well defensively.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Well, if he can play well defensively, and is mobile and skates well, and can make a good pass out of the zone...then he should get some good icetime. Any points are just a bonus. What we desperately need, are blueliners who can play well defensively.
i agree. problem is he's 4th on the RHD charts right now in managements eyes so he won't get a chance until someone gets injured or /traded/

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Thats still not the NHL he was doing that in though, its a huge jump to the NHL.

Lets not forget that Harpur was a noticeably bigger offensive force in the AHL last year, 50% better, And Harpur managed 1 assist in 41 NHL games. You are talking a 21 yr old Jaros who could not come close to Ceci production as a 19 yr old in the A.

The chances of Jaros becoming much more than a 10ish point D man in the NHL are not very high. Does not mean he is a bad prospect, but he never likely will be a two way D man.

I am talking about the NHL.

You're talking about numbers to date.

I'm talking about playing style.

Borowiecki got rid of the puck asap in his first few NHL games. He never tried to hold on to the puck and make plays. Jaros does. Methot makes plays with the puck behind the red line, but never does anything with it on the offensive half of the ice. Methot will skate the puck through 3 guys no problem on the breakout, yet will never dare to just beat one guy in the offensive zone. Jaros will try to beat a guy in the offensive zone.

They play different styles. It's as if jaros has confidence with the puck in the offensive zone while the others mentioned don't and play it safer.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I am talking about the NHL.

You're talking about numbers to date.

I'm talking about playing style.

Borowiecki got rid of the puck asap in his first few NHL games. He never tried to hold on to the puck and make plays. Jaros does. Methot makes plays with the puck behind the red line, but never does anything with it on the offensive half of the ice. Methot will skate the puck through 3 guys no problem on the breakout, yet will never dare to just beat one guy in the offensive zone. Jaros will try to beat a guy in the offensive zone.

They play different styles. It's as if jaros has confidence with the puck in the offensive zone while the others mentioned don't and play it safer.

Well I am certainly far more ready to judge him on what he has done in the AHL to date than 16 minutes of NHL he has logged.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I think a lot of people have a misconception of him being just a physical guy just because they saw that youtube hit, also the misconception that just because he can hit, it means he is just a defensive dman only and doesn't provide any offence. Watch his games for Slovakia in the world juniors and notice he's an all around dman. Everytime he is on the ice, something positive happens for his team, whether it was the result of him making a nice defensive play, clearing the puck out of harms way, making a nice breakout pass, holding the line in the offensive zone, using his big shot to keep generating offence. The dude is an all around good defenseman. He has the hockey sense and the tools to be a good option at the 3-4 spot if he matures physically and improves his skating a bit. I have been bullish on the guy a bit ever since I saw him in world juniors, he is an NHL player, at least a bottom pairing at worst case scenario. I think he can be more than that though. I see a Marc Methot with some better offence.

Reactions: Newgates59 and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He impressed me with his poise and willingness to make plays.

Too often our prospects have come up and looked like deer in headlights or play scared but he was pushing the play and trying to make a difference.

He will be a very good player for us.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He can handle the puck better than Boroweicki,Ceci and Harpur. His play style is similar to a guy like Ekholm.

Ceci and Boroweicki don’t have the vision or skills to make this type of play. Man, I hope Mann can fix the farm system and not ruin the young talent down there.

Last edited:
Reactions: swariggle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad