Confirmed with Link: Christian Ehrhoff signs with Penguins (1 Year/$4 Million)

Penguinzilla*

My Buffalo Sabres' friend who thinks everything in the world sucks, said this was a great signing. :handclap:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I hope we keep Martin and somehow get rid of Scuderi. This is a fantastic deal if that happens.

There's no way we're trading a 33 year old Paul Martin and keeping a 35 year old Scuderi... not at that salary he has. That would be... they don't make a word for how dumb that would be. If Scuderi only made 2.5M a year or something you could at least debate it from a cap perspective, but as things are... Martin is by far the better D value and the better long-term asset to keep. Also it's not likely Martin's game will degrade much at age 34 or 35, given his style of play. He could easily be around for a while in this league.

Either way it was pretty clear from Rutherford's comments that his plan is, if he can't keep Martin next spring, he will be able to keep Erhoff because of the freed up salary and rising cap. He's insurance for Martin, but also an excuse to get rid of Scuds.

One of Martin or Scuderi has to go for this to be a good deal.

I believe this deal was made specifically for that purpose, to cut Scuderi loose at some point.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
There's no way we're trading a 33 year old Paul Martin and keeping a 35 year old Scuderi... not at that salary he has. That would be... they don't make a word for how dumb that would be. If Scuderi only made 2M a year or something you could at least debate it from a cap perspective, but as things are... Martin is by far the better D value and the better long-term asset to keep. Also it's not likely Martin's game will degrade much at age 34 or 35, given his style of play. He could easily be around for a while in this league.

I believe this deal was made specifically for that purpose, to cut Scuderi loose at some point.

From your mouth to God's ears. I certainly hope you're right, and while my mind, and logic in general, are telling me the exact same thing, I won't believe it until I see it.

Also, if we're going to move Scuderi, I feel this has to be done now; not only for cap purposes and to allow us to explore other players, but before Scuderi's game declines any further and other teams possibly wanting nothing to do with him.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
From your mouth to God's ears. I certainly hope you're right, and while my mind, and logic in general, are telling me the exact same thing, I won't believe it until I see it.

Also, if we're going to move Scuderi, I feel this has to be done now; not only for cap purposes and to allow us to explore other players, but before Scuderi's game declines any further and other teams possibly wanting nothing to do with him.

Scuds seems to me to be the prototypical "this young team over here who wasn't very good the last few years, and are on the brink of taking the next step in their playoff development, need some vet leadership to show them how to play in the playoffs" type player... that kind of trade. I could see him ending up in Colorado or Dallas for picks. Neither D is very deep, both have good offenses that are coming along rapidly. I don't think he'd balk at either trade with his MNTC.

Worse comes to worst, we'll eat some of his salary. As long as it's less than the hit we would take buying him out, it's a win.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
#10 is not a defenseman's number. Bust signing.

ehrhoff-2_365.jpg

Make 55 your Pinguine/Penguin tradition, Christian.

Also the epic Euro haircut.

Scuds seems to me to be the prototypical "this young team over here who wasn't very good the last few years, and are on the brink of taking the next step in their playoff development, need some vet leadership to show them how to play in the playoffs" type player... that kind of trade. I could see him ending up in Colorado or Dallas for picks. Neither D is very deep, both have good offenses that are coming along rapidly. I don't think he'd balk at either trade with his MNTC.

This may be the first time I've agreed with you in weeks :laugh:

Penguinzilla*

Is there anyone that would actually want Scuderi? You can't just trade someone because you want to, there needs to be someone to trade him to

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be shocked if this doesn't turn out to be a perfect fit for Ehrhoff.

Really strange how much his PP production dipped in the last few seasons. If he's on the #1 unit regularly he'll certainly hit 50 points (half on the PP).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Is there anyone that would actually want Scuderi? You can't just trade someone because you want to, there needs to be someone to trade him to

You kidding? still many teams need top 4 D help, Islanders come to mind and he would waive his NTC there because he wants to play close to home which is Long Island.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Many teams would be interested in Scuderi. I could see the Avs interested or the Isles. I hope he is traded. I still stand by my earlier statement, this was the best signing made today. If Scuderi is gone it just makes this signing even better. Who would have thought even yesterday that possibly Orpik, Glass and Scuderi could be gone and Ehrhoff signed for a very reasonable price? Definitely addition by subtraction.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Many teams would be interested in Scuderi. I could see the Avs interested or the Isles. I hope he is traded. I still stand by my earlier statement, this was the best signing made today. If Scuderi is gone it just makes this signing even better. Who would have thought even yesterday that possibly Orpik, Glass and Scuderi could be gone and Ehrhoff signed for a very reasonable price? Definitely addition by subtraction.

Scuderi will only accept some teams, it has to be near New York ish. I'm sure all teams are East Coast to be near his home.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Scuderi will only accept some teams, it has to be near New York ish. I'm sure all teams are East Coast to be near his home.

I know hes got a modified NTC, but I thought he could only list 8 teams he wont go to? He is moveable, even if it means hes dumped like Michalek was.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I agree with the sentiment and if Scuderi can be traded for a simple 3rd round pick it will be well worth it.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Trading Scuderi makes the most sense. Martin was our best D-Man, we just can´t trade him. We need a left wing, that can play with either Malkin or Crosby. Either aquire one in the Scuderi trade or sign one, if the return in that deal is only a minor leaguer or a pick. And we need a healthy Bennett. If those two things happen, this team will not be that bad.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
There's no way we're trading a 33 year old Paul Martin and keeping a 35 year old Scuderi... not at that salary he has. That would be... they don't make a word for how dumb that would be.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way, even if of course I would also much prefer having Martin on the team over Scuderi.

But looking at the cap right now, it is very difficult to do anything significant on the top 6, and we have just a few ways to open room. Scuderi opens room if he is dealt for a pick and in that case we can get an UFA with that money.

Martin would arguably be the best defenseman on the market if he had been an UFA, and with him you can not only open up cap-room, you could also realistically get a significant asset in return, and this becomes more interesting with the news/strong rumors that Martin will eventually want to try out free agency next season.

When it comes to "they don't make a word for how dumb that would be", what we should be looking at is the combined return Shero's tactics got us for Niskanen, Orpik, Michalek, Engelland, Strait and Joe Morrow.... this while also spending two 2nd rounders at the deadline on missfit Murray who we did not extend. This is the most monumentally spastic way of not profiting on having build a strong D-pipeline.

Hence, when looking at Martin now... and realising that Scuderi is at least an asset for two more years (Brad Stuart returned a 2nd and a 6th for San Jose yesterday).... you also have to consider if we can really let another top defenseman go for nothing next season. For me.... if there are good deals out there for Martin.... I say we gotta listen. Otherwise.... sure, get rid of Scuds salary to create some room.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I would give someone a 4th round pick to take Scuderi.

Not sure if serious, or within the NHL rules, but I would do that. At this point I just want the cap space freed up and I think that little of Scuds value on the open market.

In all honesty he has to be worth something to someone. Doesn't Buffalo still need to hit the cap floor and recently have a defensive position vacated?

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Well, if you compare him to Orpik's new deal he is definitely worth at least a pick. Give it a few days until the teams that missed out get a bit more desperate then trade him.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I think you are looking at it the wrong way, even if of course I would also much prefer having Martin on the team over Scuderi.

But looking at the cap right now, it is very difficult to do anything significant on the top 6, and we have just a few ways to open room. Scuderi opens room if he is dealt for a pick and in that case we can get an UFA with that money.

Martin would arguably be the best defenseman on the market if he had been an UFA, and with him you can not only open up cap-room, you could also realistically get a significant asset in return, and this becomes more interesting with the news/strong rumors that Martin will eventually want to try out free agency next season.

When it comes to "they don't make a word for how dumb that would be", what we should be looking at is the combined return Shero's tactics got us for Niskanen, Orpik, Michalek, Engelland, Strait and Joe Morrow.... this while also spending two 2nd rounders at the deadline on missfit Murray who we did not extend. This is the most monumentally spastic way of not profiting on having build a strong D-pipeline.

Hence, when looking at Martin now... and realising that Scuderi is at least an asset for two more years (Brad Stuart returned a 2nd and a 6th for San Jose yesterday).... you also have to consider if we can really let another top defenseman go for nothing next season. For me.... if there are good deals out there for Martin.... I say we gotta listen. Otherwise.... sure, get rid of Scuds salary to create some room.

I couldn't agree more. I think that bringing in Ehrhoff lets us entertain the idea of moving Martin and not losing him for nothing. I'm with you, I'd much rather keep him, but if we don't think we'll resign him then we need to move him for assets.

I'm really hoping that Scuderi has a better season. I think that with a better system he may be able to be the solid defensive defenseman we knew and were expecting. Yeah, he's getting up there a bit in age, but defensive d-men can usually still play at a higher level as they age. It's more about being smart positionally than fast/physical.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I'd be cool if we resigned Ehrloff for even more than Paul Martin, but man...
He could really pull a Hossa if he wanted to.

That just makes me feel so uncomfortable, especially considering that Martin apparently doesn't want to resign past 2015.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
What do you think the retun for Scuderi would look like? Before yesterday I thought it would be a 5th rounder at max but now I think it could be a 2nd/3rd?

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
What do you think the retun for Scuderi would look like? Before yesterday I thought it would be a 5th rounder at max but now I think it could be a 2nd/3rd?

Something like that, or maybe even a depth player.

Me personally, I would trade him for an Upper Deck playing card of Phil Kessel - as long as it has a piece of jersey.
With a couple of throw-ins, of course.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA

Nothing more needs to be said, the bolded nails it. It's incredibly short-sighted to say "they don't make a word for how dumb that would be", given the situation. For me, it would be exponentially more stupid to trade Scuderi for next to nothing and then lose Martin next summer for nothing. Sure, we have some good d-men coming up through the pipeline, but that doesn't mean we can throw away valuable assets for nothing.

Honestly, just look at what Chicago has done the past few years if you want to see how to handle this situation - they know when it's time to move a player and maximize the return. Dave Bolland, summer before the last year on his deal making $3.375m, traded to Toronto for a 2nd and 2 4ths, then this year leaves Toronto and signs in Florida for $5.5m. If Chicago kept him, they wouldn't have signed that contract and instead lost him for nothing. They flipped Troy ****ing Brouwer (an RFA at the time) for a 1st. They knew when to move Buff, Versteeg, and Ladd. That's how you manage your assets - it might suck to lose a player you like, but it sucks a whole let less when you get valuable assets in return rather than ending up empty handed as you watch them walk in FA.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
In our case, the cap dump for getting rid of Scuderi is a reward in itself.

Martin can bring in a blue chipper, and I'm curious as to what value he brings all by himself, without emaciating the team by letting go of Sutter, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad