Confirmed with Link: Christian Ehrhoff signs with Penguins (1 Year/$4 Million)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that people are confusing Dupuis not being suited to the top line with him being worthless. He might be a million overpaid for the third line but we can live with that.

If Downie is back to form put him in a top six role and Dupuis on the third line and things start looking better.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think one problem with this line of thinking is KCD's effectiveness or lackthereof in the playoffs is based on Dan Bylsma's system and Dan Bylsma's coaching. We don't yet know how that line will fare under Mike Johnston. Perhaps we could well win in the playoffs with it because Mike Johnston actually believes in line matching whereas DB was content to run Sid's line into the other team's defensive meat grinders.

Against the Bruins, DB was probably 90% of the reason they couldn't score (with Rask being the other 10%). After the first pass, regardless of who that went to or who was making the pass, the recipient was on an Island. That's an X and O problem, not a skill or execution problem.

Short of adding, like, Jagr, Datsyuk and Hall to the lineup, there was no upgrade in skill over Dupuis/Kunitz/whoever that was going to produce at even strength against constant 1 on 2s.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Against the Bruins, DB was probably 90% of the reason they couldn't score (with Rask being the other 10%). After the first pass, regardless of who that went to or who was making the pass, the recipient was on an Island. That's an X and O problem, not a skill or execution problem.

Short of adding, like, Jagr, Datsyuk and Hall to the lineup, there was no upgrade in skill over Dupuis/Kunitz/whoever that was going to produce at even strength against constant 1 on 2s.

Exactly, which makes me wonder whether our lineup is capable of much more.

We did win a cup with worse wingers than what we have now. Perhaps KCD will be perfectly fine with a better system and a coach who emphasizes line matching. Who knows?

I think people are hung up on certain issues that might not be issues now that we have a new coach and a new system.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We are kinda assuming a lot about a rookie coach.

Yeah, ding ding Disco is gone. And that is good. But it is no guarantee that this new guy is any better.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Yeah, ding ding Disco is gone. And that is good. But it is no guarantee that this new guy is any better.

A coaching change is no magic bullet, but I can say I'm pretty certain his breakout will work better against the Bruins than Dan's did if it's defended the same way.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The dude has a ridiculous wealth of coaching experience and knowledge over DB. He may struggle adapting his junior systems to the NHL, but I have no doubt that him and Tocchet are an upgrade.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Adding Ehrhoff and Hornqvist to this powerplay gives two pieces that the PP has lacked. A true, damn near elite PPQB and a serious net front presence. That's scary stuff. Also, what Hornqvist has is a right handed shot, so when Sid and Geno are working the right wall, he can slide right into the soft spots in the slot and open himself up.

Letang can be used on the left side where he plays that "Whitney" role. This powerplay can set some records.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Adding Ehrhoff and Hornqvist to this powerplay gives two pieces that the PP has lacked. A true, damn near elite PPQB and a serious net front presence. That's scary stuff. Also, what Hornqvist has is a right handed shot, so when Sid and Geno are working the right wall, he can slide right into the soft spots in the slot and open himself up.

Letang can be used on the left side where he plays that "Whitney" role. This powerplay can set some records.

And more importantly. It'll be able to score us a goal when we need one. Not get by on skill and fancy **** during the regular season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Not to mention the fact our power play has been decent the last two seasons, but hasn't had someone since Gonchar left that has a bomb from the point.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
remember when the pens had a clutch powerplay that won them games in the playoffs

i think they won the cup and went to the finals

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
remember when the pens had a clutch powerplay that won them games in the playoffs

i think they won the cup and went to the finals

I think it is important for THIS team to have a clutch power play in the playoffs. Our power play was statistically good the last couple years, but in terms of what you are saying it sucked. We would always screw ourselves over in games against teams like Montreal, Islanders, Columbus, by letting up a chance on our power play and losing momentum. With the structure of players we can put out now, it should be a shoot first power play, rather than a lets set up Sid or Malkin to have Neal or Crosby to one time it.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
I'm sure this has been posted up here already but uh...
HVzCiCn.jpg

Now we'll win every game 7-1! Hooray!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can't wait to see this dude fire low hard bombs with Hornqvist screening the goalie and Downie clowning everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad