Confirmed with Link: Christian Ehrhoff signs with Penguins (1 Year/$4 Million)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ray-Shero-9.jpg

th

Nice signing JR.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually the more that I think about this, the more sense it makes because of the Neal trade.

The one worry with Hornqvist was that he got a ton of goals with Weber in Nashville and his shot on the PP. I saw some saying that Hornqvist would see his totals fall as we had no one on the PP who could do the same.

Now we do.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Ehroff said he made the decision because of Pittsburgh being a good team and having guys like Sid and Geno to play with. Amazing that almost all the guys that jump at the chance to play with Sid and Geno are D-Men and not forwards. :laugh:

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Not understanding this deal. I figured if we got any sort of term we were probably shipping out Martin, any idea what happens now?

Edit: Not that I would want Martin out, but he is just seems the most likely to move. My favorite D-man on the team.
I actually mentioned this in one of the threads. I expected a 2-3 year deal if we snagged him, but even at a year this is pretty cool. If you like Ehrhoff, and it works out, you could potentially move Martin for a younger forward at the deadline which would help to keep the Penguins competitive for years. After all, we do have a young talent gap up front that needs to be accounted for (relative to teams like LA and Anaheim for example).

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
New look PP with Ehrhoff on the point and Hornqvist in front of the net. Ehrhoff has a massive shot from the point.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
New look PP with Ehrhoff on the point and Hornqvist in front of the net. Ehrhoff has a massive shot from the point.

Exactly.

We were missing a guy with a canon at the point for the PP. Exactly what Hornqvist had with Weber.

We have that now.

Add to it that he is a PMD, which fits what Mike Johnston does to a T, and it makes a ton of sense.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Exactly.

We were missing a guy with a canon at the point for the PP. Exactly what Hornqvist had with Weber.

We have that now.

Add to it that he is a PMD, which fits what Mike Johnston does to a T, and it makes a ton of sense.

Ehrhoff is superior to Niskanen, especially when you consider Niskanen has only had one big year. We picked up the best d-man available. Surprised there's not more excitement here.

Wonder if Martin gets flipped to LA for a forward or two.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Ehrhoff @ $4M for one year is a bargain! But I still don't think we move Martin before the season starts.

If we can ship out Scuds today and sign a winger, I'd be thrilled, but it looks like a lot of the big name guys are locked up. Of course, the main names we've been kicking around (Kule + Vrbata) are still available.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It goes like this... Ehrhoff has a better shot than Martin. he also takes twice the shots that Martin does. he is a slightly better PP QB coming off a down year He is also two years younger. Martin has as high a value as he has had in a long time right now. there is a dearth of quality defensemen on the market. Return for a guy like him could be substancial, and frankly we have guys who need to play this year. If you move Martin and sign a low end defensemen for around a million, you successfully filled two spots on the roster for the same cost and potentially are bringing back one or two high quality assets to shore up the roster

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I love that Ehroff has a bomb of a left shot from the point. It gets Geno off the point and back blasting away from the half boards without sacrificing offense from the point.

Ehroff and Letang at the point with Geno on the half boards, Crosby on the goal line and Hornqvist in front of the net.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I love that Ehroff has a bomb of a left shot from the point. It gets Geno off the point and back blasting away from the half boards without sacrificing offense from the point.

Best part of this trade. It makes our power play actually scary in the playoffs since players don't just have to get in between the lanes of Crosby and Malkin.

Do you think they'll just run Malkin - Crosby - Horny Letang - Erhoff?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
If we did move Martin, this leaves us thin after this season (assuming Ehrhoff is pulling a Hossa move right now). Letang and a bunch of 20 year olds....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If we did move Martin, this leaves us thin after this season (assuming Ehrhoff is pulling a Hossa move right now). Letang and a bunch of 20 year olds....

I think this is a situation where we signed Erhoff, so if next year Martin doesn't want to resign, we just resign Erhoff for 5.5ish and let him take Martin's spot. Also, one would hope it helps us move Scuds contract this year for space for another top six winger.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Best part of this trade. It makes our power play actually scary in the playoffs since players don't just have to get in between the lanes of Crosby and Malkin.

Do you think they'll just run Malkin - Crosby - Horny Letang - Erhoff?

Crosby, Malkin, Ehrhoff for sure. Probably Hornqvist over Kunitz as the net presence. And then one of Letang/Kunitz/Bennett for the last spot.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
True, but he's only pulling a Hossa move if we **** up in the playoffs again. I think the idea here is, he's free to do whatever he wants. But IF it works, he can re-sign for a bit more as the cap hopefully goes up next year.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Great signing. One of Scuds/Martin almost definitely gone. They speculated Martin to Kings. WTF would he bring back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad