Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman to EDM for a Cond. 6th in 2020.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The "plan the parade" style posts about these trades are so childish. Crazy how trading a 6th round pick for a player brings out the people who love to bash the Oilers on the mains.

People that do that have some sort of void in their life or inferiority complex. It makes them feel good.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
People forget Hitchcock coached in St Louis, Wideman is from St Louis he knows the type of player and person he is in the lockeroom and off the ice. He is not flashy but a smart defender if played in the right system.
Him being from St.Louis doesn’t really mean a whole lot. I doubt Hitch knows much at all about him. He was in college and the AHL while Hitch coached St. Louis.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
If Wideman is as much as of a shit head as everyone is saying, then Hitch in practice tomorrow or the next day, should have him defend some rushes from 97.

I’m sure after he gets Schlemko’d a couple times he’ll probably come down a dozen notches. I mean, if being ragdolled by the best player in the world a few times doesn’t humble you, idk what would.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The "plan the parade" style posts about these trades are so childish. Crazy how trading a 6th round pick for a player brings out the people who love to bash the Oilers on the mains.
That’s what happens when you have a bunch of losers stumbling over each other while they rush to the computer in their moms basement to bash anything the oilers do.

Oilers don’t try to get better “lol losers are fine with losing”

Oilers try to get better “great use of assets”

Reactions: Canada Drai

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oh I did. I’m just not confident Wideman is going to be any better. I know Sens fans like him, but he’s always looked mediocre-bad to me

Seems to be mixed reviews from Sens fans. Their probably right, he has his defensive warts, but that's what buy low options are all about. This move is in hopes he is better with our team / better under Hitch. With our lack of assets to trade and lack of cap room and lack of free agency attractiveness I have loads of time for these buy low options... cause Chia ain't getting us anything more solid.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Oh I did. I’m just not confident Wideman is going to be any better. I know Sens fans like him, but he’s always looked mediocre-bad to me

Well, put it this way.

They traded a nothing draft pick that they acquired by trading a player they signed 5 weeks earlier. He makes nothing, and burying him eliminates his cap. He has no term and is a UFA. They have contract flexibility, so it doesn't impede any future trade.

So if the worst thing that happens is he's as bad as Benning has been... what have they lost? Nothing.

Reactions: TB12

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
giphy.gif

Sorry about that.

Edit: thought this was a crying baby and I am an idiot... lol... this happens when you have a baby with colic. :)

Last edited:

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Consulting from Edmonton....

Hitch wasn't living in Edmonton and hasn't lived here for a long time.

He was in Dallas the day he was hired and I read an article mentioning that he will be getting his brother and sister to help him move back to Edmonton.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Is it just our luck that Wideman is the worst asshat in the video? I guess not.

Maybe its me but this is sophomoric **** too. lets blame every aspect of the pk on the coaches even though the players are stating they don't listen to ****, don't take any direction, and our actually plotting ways to subvert any direction. At any point do these doofuses look at themselves?

So even ignoring the mantra here that players can say whatever they want blah blah blah the conversation, again, is obviously destructive, instead of constructive, and these are highly paid athletes paid to compete to the best of their abilities.

As a fan ask yourself what you'd feel like as a sens fan now with one cluster**** after another by guys that seem like they just don't give a ****.

This would pass if its Junior Hockey. you could play the "these kids don't know any better card"

Chris Wideman is 29yrs old in a month. Let that sink in.

Chris is practically staring at the camera, just talking ****. He's the closest to the camera and mic and oblivious to it.

The good news is I think Hitchcock is more clever than fools like this. Sure he's seen it all before. The better news is that guys like Connor, Leon, Milan, Darnell, etc would likely not allow the kind of crap that was going on in and out of the toxic Sens dressing room. The strangest thing though is that the Sens had obtained Duchene. As if they trying to corner the market on *****ebags.

If you're judging Wideman's ability to have a positive impact on this team based on that private convo with teammates on a dumpsterfire team, you'd be very out of touch with professional sports.

Life isn't a Disney movie. These are real people with real jobs that face the same frustrations as plebs like us.

Reactions: North

North

Jun 25, 2009
Really? Doesn’t anybody scout coaches?

Apparently not since they hired Desjardins after firing Stevens. Desjardins doesn’t want to put LaDue in the lineup because he may hurt someone’s feelings by taking them out. Enjoy that LA.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you're judging Wideman's ability to have a positive impact on this team based on that private convo with teammates on a dumpsterfire team, you'd be very out of touch with professional sports.

Life isn't a Disney movie. These are real people with real jobs that face the same frustrations as plebs like us.

I'm not primarily judging a player. I'm commenting on the wisdom of a 29yr old professional athlete. The individual, and those with him were deferring responsibility, practise, and focus and stating they don't heed feedback, don't pay attention, don't make use of instruction. In the work world most people get heat for that alone. If you were caught slamming your boss like this you're probably fired.

We're talking multimillion buck pro athletes that owe it to team, each other, and to the fans, to optimize their on ice performance. This isn't 1970. Its 2018 where every player and team requires schemes, systems, etc because every other team has them. If you self limit performance by deferring on coaching you are not doing your best, simple as that. In the high paid world of pro sports there is a reasonable expectation of best.

Lets be clear here too. Every player, after this was outed, knew that it was a big deal, had to reflect on it, had to reflect that they were being dicks, and had to publicly apologize.

I don't know about you, but instances like this impact trust substantially. especially in the work place, and Wideman is curiously not a Senator and from reports the Senators have been trying to remove him for awhile. He's essentially worth nothng to them now. He's a longterm vet still in latter prime that's worth a conditional 6th pick.

If anything the asset devalued themselves.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I wouldn't say Benning is better than anyone but I will say that Benning is hardly the reason this team has lost this many games. This entire trade + reaction screams that the fans are really just avoiding the big issue and hoping these little trades amount to massive improvement, which is unlikely.

Fans are getting excited about two reclamation projects, talk about being desparate lol.

I think fans are hoping for a different look considering the two “reclamation projects” seem to have some offensive ability as evidenced by their history.

Benning is bad and if this ends up working out then great. If it doesn’t then no harm, no foul. Not sure how any of this equates to desperate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Separate point.

On this same board the vast majority of fans here castigated Souray when he spoke out with substantive problems with the Oilers medical staff and assessment . Problems that were chronically resulting in players playing injured, coming back too soon, being greenlighted, and incurring subsequent and extended injury due to this. These were specific and VALID complaints that the org could not deny. Yet people here were stringing Souray up and torching him for his comments and defending Tambellini who felt the player was so toxic that he REFUSED to allow Souray to even come to camp or continue on.

I supported Souray in that because his complaints had ample merit, he reported them to media after first trying to redress concerns within the org. and he had the BALLS to do this and CONFRONT. Not complain in the dark like a limp noodle. He went front center in an attempt to IMPROVE an unacceptable condition in the workplace that was contributing to injuries on an often injured club. This is an example of having the bravery to effect change.

He should have been applauded for his courage, I did.

Conversely mocking your employer and coaching amongst other players is the very definition of stirring discontent. Its cowardice, is not intended to be helpful, and its innately divisive. Very interestingly the oldest veterans in that car, Duchene, nearly 28, and Wideman, nearly 29, were the most outspoken and negative and they are the ones that should have known better. One of the younger players in the vehicle, Colin White, did not engage in the diatribe, purposely waited till the others were gone, and thanked the Uber driver politely for the ride. Others have commented on this, he seemed very much not a part of what went on in the vehicle, he seemed embarrassed. He should be with that nature of leadership in the car. Nobody needs that.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Sens fans view him about the same as we view Benning . So maybe the green isn’t greener on the other side

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
AS to other comments.
Certainly the Chia move is desperate. Theres no other word for the sudden storm of movement emanating from Chia. Fired coach and Hired coach and two trades in the space of one week. That alone means Chia is taking heat, and is desperate. Typically Chia sits on his ass at this time of year and you don't even hear boo from him.

Its not just that the reps of Spooner and Wideman are suspect, its that so many changes are occurring in a short period of time. Even changing the starter, while a good move in the short term, is not necessarily helpful for any starter. More confident orgs allow the starter to play through challenges. We don't have that kind of margin to play with. The whole season is desperate. This is a desperate time within a desperate theme of being close to more wholesale change.

In anycase there is no cost in acquiring Wideman. This is essentially a waiver wire pickup unlike the Spooner trade. So theres negligible asset cost. But I would be careful with the two new player hires.

The good news is that both players need a change of scenery and that's usually a chance at being different.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sens fans view him about the same as we view Benning . So maybe the green isn’t greener on the other side

The grass is always greener elsewhere. Even if that Grass is Ben Eager or Andrew Ference. No matter how useless the current player, or their circumstance welcome arms are extended here to the newly arrived and the dearly departed are invariably flamed. its what occurs here.

Now in this specific instance of Benning I'm not about to argue we are losing here. Benning has had every opportunity and beyond. Sometimes you just cut bait. I think for the benefit of team performance it was fairly required. By my view Benning was costing around 1 GA/night. You can't have that on any competitive club. It would be real hard to be worse.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep.

Again he's near 29. Getting better happens by now. What D has improved and changed their game positively at that age.

The only cost in this if the org is silly enough to figure something like Wideman>than Gravel and replaces him in the starting lineup.

This is an interesting Hitch moment. If I'm him I'm Not even putting Wideman in the lineup for awhile. I'm letting him squirm and learn. This is the point at which you have control over a player like this. The only other time is punting them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad