Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman to EDM for a Cond. 6th in 2020.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sure bud, because that’s totally what I was saying. Or maybe he could’ve picked up a true top pairing defenseman with one of the many assets he has pissed away. Wideman is an decent acquisition that fills a need but it’s too little too late for the GM to make any kind of meaningful improvement to the roster. For complaining about threads that go off topic, you and North sure do it a lot.

I complain about threads going off topic? Do you have examples? Who are you confusing me with?

But since you brought it up, I’ll indulge, and say the second you say “it’s a decent trade but won’t save the job of a desperate GM” is the exact second you’re intentionally and not so subtly trying to change the topic.

My post wasn’t even calling you out on that. I was just pointing out your ridiculous reasoning.

Reactions: TB12 and D B

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
People forget Hitchcock coached in St Louis, Wideman is from St Louis he knows the type of player and person he is in the lockeroom and off the ice. He is not flashy but a smart defender if played in the right system.

He was born in St. Louis, but drafted and developed by Ottawa. Just because Hitch coached the Blues doesn't mean he's automatically coached any player born there.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
2020 conditional round pick (fifth round if Jerabek appears in more than 50 regular season games for Blues in 2018-19, else sixth round)
That’s the condition on the pick from St. Louis, but I don’t think we’ve officially seen what the condition is in this specific trade.

It could mean that if it turns into a 5th, the Oilers give up their own 6th instead.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
He was born in St. Louis, but drafted and developed by Ottawa. Just because Hitch coached the Blues doesn't mean he's automatically coached any player born there.

I don't think the St. Louis connection is that deep, but:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Out of curiosity, I see a lot of Sens fans praising Wideman.

From your perspective, why was a 6th in a draft two years from now the only piece received in return? It seems he could have/should have/would have brought back a bigger or better return.
Pending UFA whose play has been so terrible he’s been a healthy scratch on the worst D corps in the league with a terrible attitude to boot.

A 6th is about all we could have hoped for him.

I will, however, concede that there’s the possibility he never got the chance to shine given that his playstyle thrives on the offensive side of the game and in situations in which he may have been useful we obviously would use Karlsson, and this season Chabot, rather than Wideman. MAYBE he will pan out for you guys, but most Sens fans, myself included, aren’t crying ourselves to sleep over him being traded.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Out of curiosity, I see a lot of Sens fans praising Wideman.

From your perspective, why was a 6th in a draft two years from now the only piece received in return? It seems he could have/should have/would have brought back a bigger or better return.

Well he’s coming off a major injury and surgery so maybe that puts a taint on his value. He’s also sub par defensively and weak physically which limits his overall upside. Dorion is a clown of a GM so it’s possible another GM could have fetched a 4th or 5th for him, but it is what it is!

Reactions: McFuhryous

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
That’s the condition on the pick from St. Louis, but I don’t think we’ve officially seen what the condition is in this specific trade.

It could mean that if it turns into a 5th, the Oilers give up their own 6th instead.
Just trying to do my best out here.

Reactions: Seachd

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Defensively maybe, but both Ian Mendes and Shawn Simpson of TSN out East have said he can definitely run a powerplay and has a good shot from the point. Benning neither.
I think there is a greater upside. He is a great passer and can for sure run the power play. The way Ottawa ran theirs has been hot and cold. He played well when paired with anyone but Boro.

Reactions: Pugilist

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Really? Maybe not. I watched a few Sens games this year thought he was, he was definitely on the Powerplay though, perhaps PP2. It's still pretty clear who won this trade.
Who won a trade before the pick is even made? Little early.

For all we know that sixth is the next Jamie Benn

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Really? Maybe not. I watched a few Sens games this year thought he was, he was definitely on the Powerplay though, perhaps PP2. It's still pretty clear who won this trade.
Its a win/win for both teams. Ottawa wanted to get rid of him they felt that Boro and Jaros were a better fit.
Ottawa a high scoring team but poorly coached.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Also, don't forget when Boucher put Wideman on the wing position to play one game. The Ottawa coach plays favorites so Wideman should be happy he is gone.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Fair enough....however he’s since been a healthy scratch most games.

Regardless....he may very well thrive in Edmonton....time will tell
he was only scratched for 2 games. Harpur and Jaros were more the healthy scratches and last year he was injured.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

:facepalm:

They got an NHL level RHD for a 6th (possibly 5th) round pick in a draft 2 years from now. There's a VERY small chance the Sens will get a player who even sniffs at the NHL, but the Oilers won this deal, because they got a player they can use for an utterly inconsequential pick.

It's actually the pick the Oilers got from the Blues for Jerabek, so it's like Wideman for Jerabek, which the Oilers won.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
he was only scratched for 2 games. Harpur and Jaros were more the healthy scratches and last year he was injured.
Yes I get that, however to be healthy scratched on this D corps....that says something.

Like I said though, I’ll concede that he has been eclipsed by Chabot and Lajoie this season offensively so a fresh start may be good for him

Last edited:

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Pending UFA whose play has been so terrible he’s been a healthy scratch on the worst D corps in the league with a terrible attitude to boot.

I will, however, concede that there’s the possibility he never got the chance to shine given that his playstyle thrives on the offensive side of the game and in situations in which he may have been useful we obviously would use Karlsson, and this season Chabot, rather than Wideman. MAYBE he will pan out for you guys, but most Sens fans, myself included, aren’t crying ourselves to sleep over him being traded.
What are you talking about?
He has only been scratched 2 games this year and had the injury last season
They should have traded him a long time ago. the Sens coaching is horrible I feel sorry for all the talented players that are stuck in
a system with Crawford, Raymond and Boucher. There is a reason why Erik Karlsson is not in
Ottawa.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
:facepalm:

They got an NHL level RHD for a 6th (possibly 5th) round pick in a draft 2 years from now. There's a VERY small chance the Sens will get a player who even sniffs at the NHL, but the Oilers won this deal, because they got a player they can use for an utterly inconsequential pick.

It's actually the pick the Oilers got from the Blues for Jerabek, so it's like Wideman for Jerabek, which the Oilers won.
I have no illusions that a 6th is going to likely turn into nothing.

However to say a trade has been won before a pick is made...to me is jumping the gun

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
What are you talking about?
He has only been scratched 2 games this year and had the injury last season
They should have traded him a long time ago. the Sens coaching is horrible I feel sorry for all the talented players that are stuck in
a system with Crawford, Raymond and Boucher. There is a reason why Erik Karlsson is not in
Ottawa.
Come on man...don’t get rose coloured glasses now that he’s traded.

He’s always been a defensive liability who is easily pushed off the puck and since his injury his skating has been atrocious.

I’m not looking to cut the guy up or anything.....but I seriously doubt he returns the 3rd some of the posters on our boards feel he was worth

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Yes, but in all probability, no.

Its a win/win for both teams. Ottawa wanted to get rid of him they felt that Boro and Jaros were a better fit.
Ottawa a high scoring team but poorly coached.
Ottawa doesn't get practically weaker, but it's a loss in the respect that they didn't get the worth of the player they dealt. They were so eager to get him off their hands, they got something but they could have gotten something else that could have aided them, instead of just getting him of their hands. I think that's the difficulty with the car video situation, is that when people are embarrassed they act out of emotions. Edmonton just addressed perhaps their biggest need, and in exchange Ottawa were able to get rid of a potentially useful asset. Ottawa will be just as good without Wideman as with him, but they didn't get what I'd hoped they'd be able to get for him.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Well he’s coming off a major injury and surgery so maybe that puts a taint on his value. He’s also sub par defensively and weak physically which limits his overall upside. Dorion is a clown of a GM so it’s possible another GM could have fetched a 4th or 5th for him, but it is what it is!

Thanks fellers!! I appreciate the rationale.

Sensinitis, we share equal pain with the bolded.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad