Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman to EDM for a Cond. 6th in 2020.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I have no illusions that a 6th is going to likely turn into nothing.

However to say a trade has been won before a pick is made...to me is jumping the gun

Maybe, although that pick could turn into McDavid Jr. and it still wouldn’t mean the Oilers lost the trade.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
seems to me the oilers are in a no win situation with some people. We needed another D--so we got one--gave up nothing--maybe the 6th we got for a D man who never played a game for us. For me it is a body to fill a hole we had. RHD. This allows more flexibility in how we juggle our D--Russell is a natual LHD and so he can play either side and of course--Benning will now get ice time

for me this is a move to stop some bleeding and it cost us nothing--if it was a 4th rounder I would be grumpy--but for to get an player in the line up via trading a 5th.6th or 7th? I got not problem with that

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Out of curiosity, I see a lot of Sens fans praising Wideman.

From your perspective, why was a 6th in a draft two years from now the only piece received in return? It seems he could have/should have/would have brought back a bigger or better return.
For whatever reason, it looks like the team was desperate to move him out. Could be a red flag for sure. That organization is such a mess right now though that it’s really hard to judge a player because of it. We had to give Justin Schultz away for nothing when we were a complete tire fire. It happens. I don’t mind the risk, if it doesn’t work out we can get rid of him. He might be so happy to get out that we could see a different player.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I have no illusions that a 6th is going to likely turn into nothing.

However to say a trade has been won before a pick is made...to me is jumping the gun

Your logic would only make sense if it was a first round pick or maybe a 2nd round pick, such that the pick is used to get a guy you wouldn't have had a chance on otherwise.... and the value of the pick itself could appreciate based on draft order (e.g. if we are struggling or it became a lottery pick).

Once you start talking about a pick in the mid to late rounds, your logic makes no sense, since if you *really knew the guy you were drafting was good, you'd have taken him in the 5th, 4th, 3rd, or 2nd.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wow that’s a lot more tame than I thought it was going to be.

If that was Hall/Nuge/Ebs/Schultz circa 2014 badmouthing Eakins I wouldn’t have had an issue with that at all.

I mean... I'm sure similair sentiments were had with McLellan's 5 lefty PP. Only difference is our guys kept it under wraps like professionals should.

Its a poor touch for sure to be doing that in public. Looks bad 100%.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Your logic would only make sense if it was a first round pick or maybe a 2nd round pick, such that the pick is used to get a guy you wouldn't have had a chance on otherwise.... and the value of the pick itself could appreciate based on draft order (e.g. if we are struggling or it became a lottery pick).

Once you start talking about a pick in the mid to late rounds, your logic makes no sense, since if you *really knew the guy you were drafting was good, you'd have taken him in the 5th, 4th, 3rd, or 2nd.
You’re missing what I’m gettig at. Nobody KNOWS whether or not any draft pick will pan out, regardless of what round it is.

What I’m saying is IF and of course it’s nothing more than a faint hope if, that pick turns out to be better than Wideman....then I’d argue the Sens are much better off having moved him for a better player...which in turn means the Sens do not “lose” the trade.

Regardless of whether or not a diamond in the rough could have been drafted with a different pick....if the pick from Edmonton turns out to be the pick that nets the player, then it’s a player the Sens would not have otherwise had.

Again this is a stupid debate as the odds of a 6th turning into anything useful is very very low. But that does not mean Ottawa has automatically “lost” a trade before the pick is even used.

You guys gain a potentially serviceable NHL dman....we free up ice time for a younger player and money for our penny pinching joke of an owner.

The trade benefits both teams.

Reactions: ToddsBod

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You’re missing what I’m gettig at. Nobody KNOWS whether or not any draft pick will pan out, regardless of what round it is.

What I’m saying is IF and of course it’s nothing more than a faint hope if, that pick turns out to be better than Wideman....then I’d argue the Sens are much better off having moved him for a better player...which in turn means the Sens do not “lose” the trade.

Regardless of whether or not a diamond in the rough could have been drafted with a different pick....if the pick from Edmonton turns out to be the pick that nets the player, then it’s a player the Sens would not have otherwise had.

Again this is a stupid debate as the odds of a 6th turning into anything useful is very very low. But that does not mean Ottawa has automatically “lost” a trade before the pick is even used.

You guys gain a potentially serviceable NHL dman....we free up ice time for a younger player and money for our penny pinching joke of an owner.

The trade benefits both teams.

Agreed. Much like we boasted the Jerabek trade as a win because we weren't keeping him anyways, the Sens probably look at this as if they didn't want to keep him and with it being a rebuild year (despite them having an okay record) might as well get something for him. I'd say it's a decent trade for both sides.

Basically the trade is up to 60 games and a test drive of Wideman who is likely a 5-7 dman at best for a pick that has approximately a 15% chance at playing 100 NHL games and only a 2% chance of those games being a top 6 F, top 4 D or No. 1 G. Value is pretty close.

The nicest part for Edmonton though is that draft pick was basically free as they obtained the same by trading a Free Agent signing, so they aren't depleting their original pool of picks.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Looks like he's wearing #10.

images

Reactions: sepHF

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I could care less about trading picks from round 4 to 7 on actual NHL players. The odds of those picks turning into something is very small.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Great pickup as a 6th round pick for a 28 year old dman who's already played 175 NHL games with decent NHL stats has to be regarded as a solid trade.

.87 pts/60 at ES over the course of his career is respectable and hints towards a possible higher upside as well. That .87 pts/60 number is better than anything currently on the Oilers so he may add some much needed offensive ability.

His RelT GA/60 numbers show he's decent defensively as well although he's been given pretty strong offensive zone starts over those 175 games... but again that points to the fact that he has some decent offensive skills so that's a solid asset to add to the lineup.

Overall this is a solid addition and should help move the needle forward on the back end.

Reactions: Multigrain

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I'm not going to complain about only giving up a 6th for a 3rd pairing RD who is a decent puck mover. Hopefully, he works out better than Jerabek did.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
I complain about threads going off topic? Do you have examples? Who are you confusing me with?

But since you brought it up, I’ll indulge, and say the second you say “it’s a decent trade but won’t save the job of a desperate GM” is the exact second you’re intentionally and not so subtly trying to change the topic.

My post wasn’t even calling you out on that. I was just pointing out your ridiculous reasoning.

Sorry I did have you confused with someone else. But my reasoning is far from ridiculous. You think Chia has done enough good to save his job then? Sorry but no number of small decent trades he accomplishes from now until summer absolves him of the terrible job he’s done in general. Now can we get the thread back on point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad