Value of: Chris Tanev

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Just a feeler on what Van could possibly get for him. They are in no rush to trade him but I think for a blue chip prospect or high pick they could be willing to move him.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
A very attractive player, when healthy. The problem is his history with injuries. Each season he misses 10/15 or 20 games. I'd love to see him in a Leaf's uniform, I just don't know how to value him when there's a good chance he end's up on the shelf just when you need him most.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd add him at the right price to the Leafs but it is interesting to see the philosophical difference between Vancouver and New York.

Sure McDonagh could stick around to help insulate younger players but he also has some value, NYR are going to cash in on that because he is not likely to be apart of their future when it gets turned around.

Vancouver is going to hold onto Tanev because why? They're years off, sell him for the best return and move on.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'd add him at the right price to the Leafs but it is interesting to see the philosophical difference between Vancouver and New York.

Sure McDonagh could stick around to help insulate younger players but he also has some value, NYR are going to cash in on that because he is not likely to be apart of their future when it gets turned around.

Vancouver is going to hold onto Tanev because why? They're years off, sell him for the best return and move on.

As a Canucks fan I'm in full agreement. If you compare the Rangers letter to the fans they full on admit they are going to make big changes and moving players. Compare that to the Canucks message I don't get that sense along with the fact they've openly talked about the possibility of re-signing Gudbranson and Vanek.

I'd rather move players for picks and prospects and then restock each summer, but management doesn't seem to want to do that.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a Canucks fan I'm in full agreement. If you compare the Rangers letter to the fans they full on admit they are going to make big changes and moving players. Compare that to the Canucks message I don't get that sense along with the fact they've openly talked about the possibility of re-signing Gudbranson and Vanek.

I'd rather move players for picks and prospects and then restock each summer, but management doesn't seem to want to do that.

Vancouver can totally turn it around quickly if they wanted to.

As a Leaf fan i'd give Vancouver a 1st and someone like Bracco and maybe Carrick for Tanev (let's just argue that is the base and the best deal out there). A 1st is in Vancouver's hands at that point. Bracco heating up in the AHL, and a young RHD can hold a spot down much more cheaply then Gudbranson

Gudbranson is likely fetching Vancouver a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline

Vanek is safely a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if someone gets desperate after missing out on one of the bigger fish

All of a sudden that is a 1st, 2 2nds or 2 2nds or a combo of 1 of each, Bracco and Carrick, certainly younger and cupboard is full of picks.

Who else can be sold? Maybe it's time to ask the Sedins if they'd consider moving and then coming back? Retain 50% on each and see what the best deal is out there.

Vancouver had a hell of a run but it's okay to take 1-2 years as a step back, commit to rebuilding and then come back. Vancouver can grab a couple of defenseman with their picks in the draft and add it to Juolevi. Boeser and Horvat look great up front, if some of those defenseman pan out, maybe swap for a centre.

Demko is a heck of a young goalie prospect too.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

As a Leaf fan i'd give Vancouver a 1st and someone like Bracco and maybe Carrick for Tanev (let's just argue that is the base and the best deal out there). A 1st is in Vancouver's hands at that point. Bracco heating up in the AHL, and a young RHD can hold a spot down much more cheaply then Gudbranson

Vanek is safely a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if someone gets desperate after missing out on one of the bigger fish

All of a sudden that is a 1st, 2 2nds or 2 2nds or a combo of 1 of each, Bracco and Carrick, certainly younger and cupboard is full of picks.

Who else can be sold? Maybe it's time to ask the Sedins if they'd consider moving and then coming back? Retain 50% on each and see what the best deal is out there.

Vancouver had a hell of a run but it's okay to take 1-2 years as a step back, commit to rebuilding and then come back. Vancouver can grab a couple of defenseman with their picks in the draft and add it to Juolevi. Boeser and Horvat look great up front, if some of those defenseman pan out, maybe swap for a centre.

It would take More than 1st+Bracco+Carrick but I agree with your thinking

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It would take More than 1st+Bracco+Carrick but I agree with your thinking

I think it will be easier once McDonagh establishes the market. Both are "top pairing" guys but not the type to carry pairings on their own like Doughty, Prime Pronger etc.

Concern with McDonagh might be lack of contract so maybe if he is dealt in June a team can negotiate a contract, Tanev's draw backs may be durability/lack of offense compared to McDonagh. Should McDonagh land a 1st+prospect+3rd piece (additional pick/prospect/roster player) then maybe 1 piece is dropped in Tanev's case, or altered

Ex - 1st+Prospect+2nd for McDonagh, therefore 1st+Prospect or 1st+Prospect+4th or something

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Bozak + 2nd.
Why would Vancouver Want a pending UFA and a 2nd round pick for our best defenseman?

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Gagner
Dowd
Gaudette and Pettersson coming.

Pretty sure we have enough veteran Center depth..think before you offer that..yikes. I don’t want to get into another’s pissing match about Tanev, but Liljegren is the starting point.

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
Lebrun said Canucks could get at least a 1st and a top prospect for Tanev. He also said the Canucks have no appetite to trade him. I'd take anything good for Tanev at this point. We won't ever be good enough while he's still in his prime.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lebrun said Canucks could get at least a 1st and a top prospect for Tanev. He also said the Canucks have no appetite to trade him. I'd take anything good for Tanev at this point. We won't ever be good enough while he's still in his prime.

I didn't even realize he's missed 20 games so far this season, yikes.

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver

Woah man, a leaf fan who isn't delusional and knows the value of players. Thanks for your honest response!

Those deals you suggested would be great for Vancouver, as you said more picks the better.

Reactions: flying v 604

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

Not sure if that's the best they could get, but you are A true hockey fan. Who actually knows his stuff, and doesn't bash other teams when their rebuilding. kudos

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Depends on who the team is who wants Tanev. With the Leafs we could make a fair deal as there respectable and we like each other

But the Jets... There desperate and want everything... with them they need to give up more.... Connor Roslovic a 1st and a 2018 2nd would be close...OR more

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I didn't even realize he's missed 20 games so far this season, yikes.
ya it sucks. since they are all freak injuries. it makes me think the Canucks considering they have such A hard travel schedule that they might need to go back to the way Gillis handled things. it's not only Tanev. Every single D this year has been hurt and more than half our forwards. If Tanman were to go out east Id bet my house and M4 that he would play at least 75 games A year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure if that's the best they could get, but you are A true hockey fan. Who actually knows his stuff, and doesn't bash other teams when their rebuilding. kudos

ya it sucks. since they are all freak injuries. it makes me think the Canucks considering they have such A hard travel schedule that they might need to go back to the way Gillis handled things. it's not only Tanev. Every single D this year has been hurt and more than half our forwards. If Tanman were to go out east Id bet my house and M4 that he would play at least 75 games A year.

Every team has a window, some win in it, some don't. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles won. Washington, San Jose, and Vancouver didn't. Smart management and a commitment to a plan can turn things around quickly. Not chest pumping but I think Shanahan had a vision and he executed it with hiring Babcock and Lou, everyone knew we were rebuilding and now we're building on the foundation, everyone knows Toronto needs a defenseman and a 3rd line centre but it's a far cry from what we needed before.

Vancouver the message seems cloudy and they are trying to do too many things. First it's try to retool or rebuild and be competitive at the same time, how the heck do you try to retain Vanek at the TDL if you're rebuilding?

I won't ever kick a team down that is rebuilding, Vancouver's management (and likely ownership) would frustrate me as a fan though.

Reactions: flying v 604

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Every team has a window, some win in it, some don't. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles won. Washington, San Jose, and Vancouver didn't. Smart management and a commitment to a plan can turn things around quickly. Not chest pumping but I think Shanahan had a vision and he executed it with hiring Babcock and Lou, everyone knew we were rebuilding and now we're building on the foundation, everyone knows Toronto needs a defenseman and a 3rd line centre but it's a far cry from what we needed before.

Vancouver the message seems cloudy and they are trying to do too many things. First it's try to retool or rebuild and be competitive at the same time, how the heck do you try to retain Vanek at the TDL if you're rebuilding?

I won't ever kick a team down that is rebuilding, Vancouver's management (and likely ownership) would frustrate me as a fan though.
Actually I think Benning was kind of hoping that the twins would waive and then come back if both sides see that as the best fit I know the twins are not top line players anymore, but they can still run A pp their possession numbers are still good and for guys playing 3rd line mins they are both on pace for 60 points, and Dank should score 25. he would need 10 in the next 33 so that's pretty achievable. As for Vaneck, he's gone either way at the TDL There was talk that he would be welcomed back next year, and why not? 16 goals 38 points on A very offensive inept team. He said he would gladly come back as long as the twins do as well. That's where all the confusion from other fans comes from. They say move on from them and let the rookies play. Well, what if they're not ready. Van will have zero depth. That's why a lot of people are in favour of bringing them back for one more year. They sure as hell won't find 3 guys of that talent willing to play any role asked of them. Especially for around 2 mill each. And once next years TDL comes along we have 3 vets on 1-year cheap deals we can flip Either way we're going to need some vets. either the twins or some other guys who will want long expensive deals who will put up the same amount of points while expecting prime ice time. Vaneck and the twins are fine with 10 mins or 20. they know its time to pass the torch to the young guys. Somehow we need to unload at least 3 guys tho to make room for the rooks who are pretty much A shoe-in in Petterson Dhalin and Gaudette plus whoever we draft cuz you know that that player will be ready Plus Oj will be on the team. And there is the talk of tram coming over after being snubbed by Russia so goodbye Hutton Stech and Zotto on d and hopefully Louie, who I like plus gags and send down dowd and either move Gaunce since Goldie requires waivers. JB has his work cut out this off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad