Value of: Chris Tanev

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think he gets what Hamonic got, Tanev is even more injury prone than Hamonic and like it or not that does impact value
Yea but he is also better than hamonic (even before the trade). So his value is already lowered if we are looking at hamonic value. Injury free Tanev is worth a lot more than hamonic

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Lebrun was tweeting today that Canucks could net a 1st and a high end prospect today, wasnt he?
LeBrun is an idiot. Not just this tweet but overall. I’m more of a “hockey insider” than he is.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That’s your opinion but I’m sure majority would disagree including the people in management positions on nhl teams. Hence why Tanev has been selected to play for Canada in the whc and hamonic hasn’t been

Not just my opinion.,. lets remove ALL canuck fans opinions from this thread and you will get a true idea of how other team bases value him

I realise it hurts nucks fans feelings when other fan bases do not value Tanev as high as they do. The fact he gets hurt so much hurts his value

and as someone who usually regularly goes to the hockey world championships(first time in 7 years I am not going to the world--Danes f***ed me and other regulars this year for tickets)--using the world championships as an example of how good player X is--let use this years team--are KUEMPER, McELHINNEY and future hall of famer Michael DiPietro from the mighty vancouver canucks are the goalies??? are those the three best canadian goalies who are not playing in the playoffs? So those three are better than Price, Talbot, Devan Dubnyk, Jake Allen, Mike Smith, Cam Ward, Brian Elliott, James Reimer, Jonathan Bernier, Roberto Luongo, Carter Hutton, and Corey Crawford--that just a rough list--so you are saying the Michael Dipietro is better then all those guys or and the two goalies are better then the other guys I mentioned--

a lot of players say no to go going to the World Championships

Last edited:

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
I cant wait for this guy to retire so the hockey world can shut up about him. Maybe the most overrated player on this board.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yea but he is also better than hamonic (even before the trade). So his value is already lowered if we are looking at hamonic value. Injury free Tanev is worth a lot more than hamonic

Tanev has never been injury free in his life so that's irrelevant

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
That’s your opinion but I’m sure majority would disagree including the people in management positions on nhl teams. Hence why Tanev has been selected to play for Canada in the whc and hamonic hasn’t been
It’s opinion since the facts of measurable statistics show he has continually been a better defenceman at defending

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
He's an often hurt defenseman that doesn't give you much offensively. He also only makes sense for a team that's already very good and knows it's picking at the bottom of the first round. You can try to use the Hamonic trade as a comparable all you want, teams have been reminded as to why you don't trade your first for the following season unless you're getting a really special player. You can also bring up Adam Larsson all you want, but I imagine the receiving GM does not want to be constantly reminded of Taylor Hall like Chiarella is.

So if Benning plays his cards right, he could get a pick in the first round below 18 and a prospect Vancouver's trade partner feels it doesn't need that badly. The only team that I can think of that might overpay a little bit is Philadelphia give that they already have a bunch of picks and are looking to take the next step.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canuck D was injury prone because they had to hold the puck waiting for Sedins. Canuck fans will never admit Sedins could do any wrong, so they never noticed. Think I'm wrong? Watch Desjardins scream at them on the bench before somebody explained things to him. Then, watch him grind his teeth at one of the many, many too many men calls they got.

Tanev won't get traded because Benning doesn't have the skills. Vancouver's brain trust is super dumb.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Tanev has never been injury free in his life so that's irrelevant

Actually he did play the entire 2011-12 season injury free, and carried on all the way till the end of the 2012-13 season before his 2nd career injury. If GP are lower than a full season it's because he spent time up and down from the farm and in the press box.

Jan 21, 2018
Canuck D was injury prone because they had to hold the puck waiting for Sedins. Canuck fans will never admit Sedins could do any wrong, so they never noticed. Think I'm wrong? Watch Desjardins scream at them on the bench before somebody explained things to him. Then, watch him grind his teeth at one of the many, many too many men calls they got.

Tanev won't get traded because Benning doesn't have the skills. Vancouver's brain trust is super dumb.

This is a very good post if you ignore all that nonsense at the top

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not just my opinion.,. lets remove ALL canuck fans opinions from this thread and you will get a true idea of how other team bases value him

I realise it hurts nucks fans feelings when other fan bases do not value Tanev as high as they do. The fact he gets hurt so much hurts his value

and as someone who usually regularly goes to the hockey world championships(first time in 7 years I am not going to the world--Danes ****ed me and other regulars this year for tickets)--using the world championships as an example of how good player X is--let use this years team--are KUEMPER, McELHINNEY and future hall of famer Michael DiPietro from the mighty vancouver canucks are the goalies??? are those the three best canadian goalies who are not playing in the playoffs? So those three are better than Price, Talbot, Devan Dubnyk, Jake Allen, Mike Smith, Cam Ward, Brian Elliott, James Reimer, Jonathan Bernier, Roberto Luongo, Carter Hutton, and Corey Crawford--that just a rough list--so you are saying the Michael Dipietro is better then all those guys or and the two goalies are better then the other guys I mentioned--

and as someone who usually regularly goes to the hockey world championships(first time in 7 years I am not going to the world--Danes ****ed me and other regulars this year for tickets)--using the world championships as an example of how good player X is--let use this years team--are KUEMPER, McELHINNEY and future hall of famer Michael DiPietro from the mighty vancouver canucks are the goalies??? are those the three best canadian goalies who are not playing in the playoffs? So those three are better than Price, Talbot, Devan Dubnyk, Jake Allen, Mike Smith, Cam Ward, Brian Elliott, James Reimer, Jonathan Bernier, Roberto Luongo, Carter Hutton, and Corey Crawford--that just a rough list--so you are saying the Michael Dipietro is better then all those guys or and the two goalies are better then the other guys I mentioned--

So the next 2 posts comparing Tanev to hamonic came from a leafs and a fellow sharks fan. Both have agreed Tanev is better. It goes to show that that is just your opinion which falls in the minority

Yes I understand players decline for numerous reasons and it happens yearly. Has hamonic ever been given the opportunity to decline? If he has then yea the whc Tanev has played means nothing

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
A very attractive player, when healthy. The problem is his history with injuries. Each season he misses 10/15 or 20 games. I'd love to see him in a Leaf's uniform, I just don't know how to value him when there's a good chance he end's up on the shelf just when you need him most.
It is hard to gauge Tanev from a fans perspective. He is one of the top 5(tops in some stats) shut down men in the league on a great contract. This gives him value. Injuries lower value, but not as much as some think, and more than others think(primarily van fans). The problem here is that Van has been bad lately and spends a lot of time in their own zone. Tanev logs big minutes and is blocking a lot more shots that he would normally on a better team, this would be to say that on a contending team he could easily be there for 70+ games and this would not affect his value at all in a trade. As this is not a guarantee but an estimation I would say he loses approx 15% of his value due to injury.
Though he only played half the year, Van won more games with him than without, and though usually on the wrong side of the puck he still managed to ensure the team was scoring more when he was on the ice at 5v5 than they were scored on.
I would value him min at a pick between 10-20 and if multiple teams are in on him, more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad