Confirmed with Link: Chris Stewart

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
One of the toughest ducks teams in years

Haha not even close.

Pronger, moen, May, Thornton, parros, obrien, Odie, Getzlaf, Kunitz all on the 2007 team. That team was truly tough.

Eh, I guess 'in years' counts.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Not that hard, honestly. This being the offer he took doesn't mean that this is the best offer he had. He is still only 27, it makes sense for him to look at the potentially best situation for him over a somewhat better deal. He and his agent saw how a guy like Beleskey could turn one good year in this situation into a large and long contract. No need for him to look for more term based on his more disappointing last years. This is a situation where he feels like he can reestablish himself. Maybe no GM suspects he's a 40 point guy, maybe a handfull do, but he felt this was a place where he could show others he's even more and get paid accordingly next year, be that right or wrong on his part.

A player with a history of lazy play and disappearing should probably be counseled by his agent to take the most guaranteed money he can get. But maybe he wants a Cup. It's a huge gamble though. One more year like the last few and he will have thrown away potentially 10-15M or more, assuming everyone saying he could have gotten a Beleskey contract is accurate.

I also feel that the comments from Buffalo and Minnesota fans reflect that he's not so special.

The last page of the Minnesota thread

Looks like the damned Avs fans were more right than I would like to admit.

When he disappears, he really does.

It's sad too, because you can still see all the potential is there.

Stewart was just as effective when he was out with injury last game as he's been all series long. He made a couple nice plays against the Blues, but other than that, he's been nonexistent. Hasn't been real physical either.

If Fletcher was on the fence about resigning him, by now I would think he knows his answer. At this point, I'd be surprised if he was brought back.

Yep, I'll eat my foot on this one. Don't want him on this team if he's not going to do anything but hold up a roster spot from someone else.

Not interested in him for anything near 3M, frankly.

Well, his lackluster play of late, plus this injury - not looking like a keeper at this point.

Didn't really help himself in the UFA market either. Most of the criticisms leveled at him by Blues fans have yet to be dispelled.

This was the best that could be said
I'd keep him around if he's cheap (sub 3 mil?) and no more than 2 years, preferably 1.

It's not like Nino or Zucker have shown that they're ready to steal and - most importantly - keep a spot in the top-6.

Buffalo

Oh I know he doesn't help drive possession. But I do think his possession stats are better than most on this team, but I could be wrong.
I'd be surprised by that. My eyeballs tell me he gives away more pucks than almost anybody else on the team. He has a terrible hockey IQ, in my opinion. I was excited to get him, but I've been very unimpressed with him so far.

He fits right in with the rest of the team.

Thats something several wingers need and why they're struggling. When that gets squared away several of these winger will start looking a lot better. No idea how that will get fixed this year though

But I will say Stewart need to start using the power part of the power forward equation. Not enough work around the net and using his size. Too much fines in his game iIMO.

But the usual caveats with judging anything by the giveaway stats needs to be mentioned: inconsistent recording/arena biases, etc. Plus also the players with the most giveaways tend to be the players who have the puck the most. Erik Karlsson led the league last year and Joe Thornton was #5--a guy who is an elite PMD and another guy who is an elite passer. It's a result of the sheer volume of passes they attempt. What would be nice is if there was an (accurate) giveaway/touch ratio.

That said, the eye test certainly confirms that Stewart very often makes stupid decisions with the puck. The 3-on-1 against Pittsburgh that turned into a goal against sticks out as a glaring example of stupid decision making that may not necessarily be captured by the stats.

Maybe there are other threads singing his praises. The fact that he was only worth a 2nd next year with half his salary retained as a trade deadline rental with what players like Vermette got also says GM's aren't especially enamored with him IMO.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Haha not even close.

Pronger, moen, May, Thornton, parros, obrien, Odie, Getzlaf, Kunitz all on the 2007 team. That team was truly tough.

Eh, I guess 'in years' counts.

If somehow Mcgrattan Jackman both make it this years would rival 2007
Obviously that wont happen

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
If somehow Mcgrattan Jackman both make it this years would rival 2007
Obviously that wont happen

Our new bottom six:

Maroon - Wagner - Stewart
McGrattan - Thompson - Jackman

:box:

I wouldn't mind rolling this out for Kings games. :naughty:

DaDucks*

Nice chin, and really nice job of switching to southpaw every fight

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Also im not sold on Sekac and wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie replaces him at some point

Ritchie Getz Perry
Maroon Kesler Silf
Stewart Rackell Hagman
Cogliano Thompson Jackman
Horcoff

:handclap::naughty:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Belesky won't be nearly the player on boston without playing with perry and Getzlaf. His stats won't nearly be the same and once again next season Chris stewart will out produce him.

I'm still shocked ducks got him for so cheap.

And it's funny how stewart still out produced belesky offensively on the horrendous buffalo sabres while belesky was playing alot of first line mins on one of the best teams in the NHL ...yet some people seem to overlook that. I'd take stewart any day over belesky for 1.7 mill
Beleskey is the better overall player though.

I still like this signing

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yes Stewart is the best fighter on the team and if Jackman goes down Mcgrattan is the best fighter in the league
Bieksa = Beauch

Stewart's fighting replaces Beleskey's. He's better at it than Matt was but not tougher. McGrattan will play only if Jackman is hurt, and only in the games Jackman would have played. Unless you're literally saying fighting ability and toughness are synonymous (which I don't agree with) then I can't agree that the team is any tougher than before. It's the same.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Stewart's fighting replaces Beleskey's. He's better at it than Matt was but not tougher. McGrattan will play only if Jackman is hurt, and only in the games Jackman would have played. Unless you're literally saying fighting ability and toughness are synonymous (which I don't agree with) then I can't agree that the team is any tougher than before. It's the same.

I think this year's team is shaping up to at least somewhat tougher than last year's.

Stewart and Bieksa aren't much more physical than Beleskey and Beauchemin, but I would definitely give them the edge in that department. I think Hags is an upgrade in hitting compared to Palmieri. If Wagner plays about the same amount as Etem did last year, that's a slight upgrade as well.

I do agree that there isn't a giant difference though, and I think people are giving the McGratton signing to much emphasis. I see that almost strictly as an AHL move. I'd be stunned if he gets an NHL game. It's Murray wanting to make the AHL team better, and protect the kids down there. He won't want to lose him for free to waivers.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Teams are always happy to give up any number of players and draft picks for a player who is not performing well at the deadline. That makes a lot of sense when you say it like that.
alot of teams require a big strong winger for a playoff push. And for many reasons certain players play better under certain systems and vice versa, etc.. GMs know this and agents do too.
If Stewart is not performing well on simply not working in the Anaheim system (for whatever reason) there will be 5 teams lined up to off a swap or draft picks straight up.
Regardless of his inconsistency his pedigree doesnt grow on trees and with a low cap hit 1 year UFA contract, his value will be win-win for the Ducks this deadline.
If he performs as expected or overexpected = ducks win.
If he performs under expectations = Ducks trade him for better pieces = you guys win again.
I just cant see one negative in this signing.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
alot of teams require a big strong winger for a playoff push. And for many reasons certain players play better under certain systems and vice versa, etc.. GMs know this and agents do too.
If Stewart is not performing well on simply not working in the Anaheim system (for whatever reason) there will be 5 teams lined up to off a swap or draft picks straight up.
Regardless of his inconsistency his pedigree doesnt grow on trees and with a low cap hit 1 year UFA contract, his value will be win-win for the Ducks this deadline.
If he performs under expectations = Ducks trade him for better pieces = you guys win again.
Glad you're excited.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

The only possible negative thing about this trade is if it prevents Murray from looking for a better replacement. The fact of the matter is, no one knows who's actually available. For example, I really wanted Eriksson, and I thought he'd definitely be available. However, some of Sweeney's moves indicate he's still looking to make the playoffs and not rebuild. Who knows if he's actually available. Boedker is another guy I'd like to add. I believe the Yotes GM said they agreed to a 1 year deal, and would discuss a long term deal down the road. Maybe they want to keep him long term? I don't know.

I do like this signing though. I don't love it, but I fail to see much down side. I just hope Murray is still looking for a better LW to play with Getzlaf and Perry. I would have preferred Glencross to Stewart, but that's only because I think Glencross would fit better with Getz and Perry.

On 2nd thought, another possible downside would be if Murray makes Maroon expendable because of this signing. That'd be a big mistake IMO. Even if Maroon is strictly a 4th liner, having one who can fight, and is just good at hockey is a big plus.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The only possible negative thing about this trade is if it prevents Murray from looking for a better replacement. The fact of the matter is, no one knows who's actually available. For example, I really wanted Eriksson, and I thought he'd definitely be available. However, some of Sweeney's moves indicate he's still looking to make the playoffs and not rebuild. Who knows if he's actually available. Boedker is another guy I'd like to add. I believe the Yotes GM said they agreed to a 1 year deal, and would discuss a long term deal down the road. Maybe they want to keep him long term? I don't know.

I do like this signing though. I don't love it, but I fail to see much down side. I just hope Murray is still looking for a better LW to play with Getzlaf and Perry. I would have preferred Glencross to Stewart, but that's only because I think Glencross would fit better with Getz and Perry.

On 2nd thought, another possible downside would be if Murray makes Maroon expendable because of this signing. That'd be a big mistake IMO. Even if Maroon is strictly a 4th liner, having one who can fight, and is just good at hockey is a big plus.

This is the thing I meant to reply to Exit Dose with. So ED, this is for you. You mentioned that the top 6 hole is a separate issue, but it's not when you consider the roster is chock full of forwards now, there's no more room. I feel like Murray moved the guys he was in the mood to move so I don't think any other holdovers are going, and the rest of the forwards are new to the team. So, that's it.

I'm personally also still hoping for a 3C but it's a huge longshot and I'm the only one still beating that drum anyway.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
This is the thing I meant to reply to Exit Dose with. So ED, this is for you. You mentioned that the top 6 hole is a separate issue, but it's not when you consider the roster is chock full of forwards now, there's no more room. I feel like Murray moved the guys he was in the mood to move so I don't think any other holdovers are going, and the rest of the forwards are new to the team. So, that's it.

I'm personally also still hoping for a 3C but it's a huge longshot and I'm the only one still beating that drum anyway.

Agreed.

I think what we see is what we're going to start the year with. The only way I see a new player being added is if Maroon or Sekac is traded to get said player. However, I think it's pretty obvious what we see is what we're going to start with. It's not a bad roster, but I had hoped for a better one to start the year. It's on par with last year's team. I'd say we've downgraded the D, and improved the forwards.

I was hopeful for a 3C as well, but that hope died when Horcoff was brought in. I'm hoping for two more things now:
1. We trade for a better LW for Getzlaf and Perry.
2. We sign Erhoff to a 1 year deal.

I expect neither to happen though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad