Confirmed with Link: Chris Stewart

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Meh. Has a lot of talent but a lot of work ethic issues. Brings toughness. Ok signing.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's different from the Penner and Heatley signings in the sense that both of those guys were on a decent decline (although Heatley's was much worse than I could've imagined), while Stewart's not at all, he's always been up and down. Luckily, even when he's down, he's still pretty serviceable.

The work ethic issue sucks, but overall it seems his reputation takes a hit because he's not the 60+ point player he seems capable of being. 30 points is disappointing from someone with his skillet, but it's probably what this team needs right now, especially if they have him in mind to play with Rakell. Hopefully they didn't spend too much, even if it's just a one-year deal.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is going to be awesome with you guys. I was hoping he would sign with a great team like this. I loved him on Avs and Blues and even last season with Sabres/Wild he put up decent numbers. He put up 36 points in 81 games with 88pims and 110 hits. Everyone just thinks about his -30 on the Sabres last year but that was a horrendous team. Once he was traded to Wild, he has 11 points in 20 games and was a plus 4. I have no doubt about it that he will show everyone he can be an awesome power forward and I LOVE the fact he is only getting a 1 year deal because he will desperately want a long term extension after and cash in and what better way to do that with a team like Anaheim. Ducks are looking awesome next year

fyi, 36 points last year with majority of them on a terrible Sabres team is a higher point total than Hagelin, Coyle, Ward, Maroon, Belesky, Rakell, Berglund, Brown etc etc just to name a few and many many more ... love this signing

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Decent signing I guess. He's pretty much older Beleskey. Pretty good fighter too. Can he play LW at all? If not then he's not going to be on the top line, though he could be on 2nd line if Silfverberg is moved. Silfverberg-Kesler-Stewart, his linemates could cover up his lack of defence. Although I do like him in 3rd line as well to bring in some size and toughness there.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He was the top player that I thought would be a good fit to help replace Beleskey and wouldn't cost as much at 4m a year. I think he will do well with Kesler/Silf or Cogs/Rakell as those duos play with good motors and and have great awareness that would help Stewart be more consistent in his effort level. A one year contract is a win win for both the player and the team. His fighting ability can also mean Jackman (who's probably in his final NHL YR) can be on a rotation for physical teams, while we place a skilled player on other games.

So I guess this is it for our offseason... Unless we can trade for that missing shutdown dman....

Oct 18, 2011
stewart is someone i low key wanted us to sign can't compare him to heatley, stewart despite his flaws can still contribute to a team

i'd rather have him for 1 year instead of bels for 5

i would never sign him to a long term deal, but 1? he will have to be motivated you'd think

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Pretty much a solid budget signing, the 1-yr commitment being the key. He's a RW, so that sort of bums me out, but we do have a hole on Ricky's RW (could also play with Horcoff depending on the line scramble), and Stewart is basically a bigger, grittier Palmieri. He can put up 15-20 goals on the 3rd line and get spot duties in the top six, he lacks in the defensive end, runs hot and cold and can go invisible for stretches... yeah, big Palms. But unlike Palms, he won't get rubbed off the puck so easily, and will go to the front of the net more often.

I like the signing though, lots of potential upside. He's another big body to what was shaping up to be a pretty soft 3rd line, and it'll be easy to pull the plug and replace him mid-season if it doesn't work out.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Does anybody know whether he can play any LW or not? I know he's a RW, but him being able to play on the left side would give us so many options as far as lineups are concerned.

Anyway, as long as the term is 1 year, I'm pretty much OK with this. Not overly excited about Stewart, but we really need another forward.

Day of the Duck

Jun 27, 2015
1 year deal for him is pretty good

I'm not expecting anything from him really but he's a better 1 year grab than Penner or Heatley so nice signing (as long as the money isn't crazy).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Would not be surprised at all to see Perry - Getzlaf - Stewart at some point. Perry can definitely handle the left side.

Oh guaranteed they will tinker with that... they will try him out in every capacity. 1st liner with top PP time, 2nd liner with 2nd PP time, 3rd line energy guy or even as a 4th line grinder. I honestly love this deal, however I am surprised there is nothing out yet for terms or even official

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Oh guaranteed they will tinker with that... they will try him out in every capacity. 1st liner with top PP time, 2nd liner with 2nd PP time, 3rd line energy guy or even as a 4th line grinder. I honestly love this deal, however I am surprised there is nothing out yet for terms or even official

All the main rumor breakers are on vacation. Hell, the Stars broke their own trade for Sharp. Also remember that this is the Ducks. Dreger broke that they signed Horcoff for $1.75 million and it took them two days to announce it. We might be waiting a bit on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00