Confirmed with Link: Chris Stewart

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That doesn't make him soft. Just not intimidating.

Right. Cogliano is definitely not soft. If someone is going to label them soft, their definition of soft differs greatly from mine. I'd go a step further and say their definition of soft differs greatly from just about anyone who understands the game. No analyst, coach, or former hockey professional is going to call Cogliano a soft player. He's a warrior, who plays without fear, and initiates contact on anyone and everyone.

He's small, and he isn't a fighter, but he is absolutely not a soft player.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Right. Cogliano is definitely not soft. If someone is going to label them soft, their definition of soft differs greatly from mine. I'd go a step further and say their definition of soft differs greatly from just about anyone who understands the game. No analyst, coach, or former hockey professional is going to call Cogliano a soft player. He's a warrior, who plays without fear, and initiates contact on anyone and everyone.

He's small, and he isn't a fighter, but he is absolutely not a soft player.

So you would list him on the tough side with Stoner, Maroon, Stewart, Jackman etc?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So you would list him on the tough side with Stoner, Maroon, Stewart, Jackman etc?

I think it's telling you listed a bunch of big, hard-nosed type players. You're looking for fighters, and players who you feel fall into the old style game you prefer.

If you asked me who was tougher, Maroon or Cogliano, I would say Cogliano is the tougher player. Without question. Would he win in a fight? No. Can he hit as hard? Unlikely. But Cogliano is a guy who will bleed for his team, he'll spit out a couple of teeth and get back onto the ice as soon as humanly possible, and will give you 100% every shift and not back down from anyone. That's a tough player. Is he a "tough guy" player? No, but a player not being a "tough guy" does not mean the only other option is that he's soft.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Sorry guys.. I definitely used the wrong words to describe my second list. I was lazy and went back and bolded the ish part because I felt it was inaccurate. I figured you guys would know what I meant. But yeah totally my fault haha. Blue collar hard working players in there.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
That list looks more like a list of "guys that won't drop the gloves" but a few of them are the complete opposite of soft, and even most of the others are somewhat physical (or attempt to be).

You're right. For the most part that was my intention. Guess I could have just said that. I was simply trying to say that a good majority of our players are pretty physical/big/intimidating/not afraid to drop the gloves. And we have at least one player like that on every line and pairing. :)

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Meh I wouldn't call Cogliano particularly "tough." I do see tough as hitting.

He's not soft. He's plenty gritty. He goes and wins puck/corner battles without fear. Or if you want to go Babcock, he's "greasy."

edit: also soft and tough are not opposites. Soft and gritty are opposites. The opposite of tough is "not physical."

Last edited:

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Silf is tough against the boards, he seriously might be our best player at digging pucks off the boards it's crazy how smart he is.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Silf is tough against the boards, he seriously might be our best player at digging pucks off the boards it's crazy how smart he is.

Let's not go crazy here. That's a gross exaggeration. He's improved along the boards but Maroon, Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler are all better at digging out pucks and overall board play.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Let's not go crazy here. That's a gross exaggeration. He's improved along the boards but Maroon, Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler are all better at digging out pucks and overall board play.

Maroon sucks at getting the puck, if he has it I agree he is really really good, I think Silf is up there with the other 3 if not the best. Everytime he goes for a 50/50 puck I expect him to get it.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Maroon is definitely better at maintaining possession, but he doesn't suck at retrieving the puck when things are tight and he's close to the puck carrier. The problem is he's just too slow to get to the puck half the time.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

You're confusing tough with being a physical presence. Being tough is all about sacrifice. Willing to take a hit, block a shot, go to the net, etc. Your definition of tough basically can only apply to a player of a certain size. Cogs can't control the fact he's 5'9" and 180 pounds. But that doesn't stop him from hitting people, he just doesn't hit them very hard. Tough is about a wiliness to get in the way of shots and play the body.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You're confusing tough with being a physical presence. Being tough is all about sacrifice. Willing to take a hit, block a shot, go to the net, etc. Your definition of tough basically can only apply to a player of a certain size. Cogs can't control the fact he's 5'9" and 180 pounds. But that doesn't stop him from hitting people, he just doesn't hit them very hard. Tough is about a wiliness to get in the way of shots and play the body.

If Dirk truly respected actual toughness, and not just big-hit/fighting ability, he wouldn't call Cogs soft.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Its hard to describe but if were listing tough players Cogs is certainly not gonna be listed

Depends really. If you're making a list of players and each player has to go into one of two categories: soft or tough. Cogs belongs more in the tough category. If there's a medium, he'd be there IMO. Tough is also very subjective. Someone who takes a beating, blocks shots, etc.. and never misses a game? How's that not tough?

I understand the point you're trying to make though. By your definition, he's definitely not tough, but I think the primary point is that if labeling Cogs as "soft" is wrong. The guy isn't soft at all.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Sifl actually started playing with a lot more grit in the playoffs than the regular season. Cogliano may not be initimading but he is definitely a giant size pest. He was one of the few people who actually tried to hit Keith and Seabrook too.

Hagelin I haven't seen a lot of, but I'm guessing he'll be another cogliano at best. I really hope we can get guys like Maroon and Stewart to hit more, otherwise the absence of belesky will really be felt.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sifl actually started playing with a lot more grit in the playoffs than the regular season. Cogliano may not be initimading but he is definitely a giant size pest. He was one of the few people who actually tried to hit Keith and Seabrook too.

Hagelin I haven't seen a lot of, but I'm guessing he'll be another cogliano at best. I really hope we can get guys like Maroon and Stewart to hit more, otherwise the absence of belesky will really be felt.
Maroon can be physical and use his size in close quarters, but honestly I think he's too slow footed to be trying to finish hits on a regular basis. We best not count on Patty to be an energy guy, he's just not a high-energy player.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Maroon was significantly faster at the start of last season before the knee injury. Here's hoping that he can fully heal over the summer and get back to that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad