Confirmed with Link: Chris Stewart

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I doubt Sami will have a bad season for a long time, the guy is just made to score.

I think he'll get a big boost in points this season. The 3 on 3 OT is perfect for him as well.

I see Bruce using a Hagelin, Kesler, Vatanen trio frequently.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I doubt Sami will have a bad season for a long time, the guy is just made to score.

That depends on your definition of a bad season, and what your expectations are of Sami. Right now, he's really a 4-5 guy, who can exploit 3rd pairing match ups, but isn't good enough overall to handle a true top 4 role as the go-to guy. To become more than that, he either needs to get better and play smarter defensively, or he needs to be even better offensively(and I'm not speaking strictly about numbers, but in puck possession and carrying the play).

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012
As a Canucks fan I hated the Ducks for a while.

But with former Canucks Kesler and Bieksa, some of my favorite CHL players in Theodore and Ritchie and now one of my favorite players Chris Stewart on your team it's hard to hate on you guys.

Oct 18, 2011
So when the Ducks came calling, the Toronto native already saw what could lie ahead for him if he made a turn in their direction.

"I’d be lying if I said I didn’t know that [Milan] Lucic was in L.A., that’s for sure," Stewart said in a recent telephone conversation. "I’m looking forward to those rivalries. It’s going to be different."

http://www.ocregister.com/ducks/stewart-671603-chris-contract.html

He's here to stalk Lucic :yo:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That depends on your definition of a bad season, and what your expectations are of Sami. Right now, he's really a 4-5 guy, who can exploit 3rd pairing match ups, but isn't good enough overall to handle a true top 4 role as the go-to guy. To become more than that, he either needs to get better and play smarter defensively, or he needs to be even better offensively(and I'm not speaking strictly about numbers, but in puck possession and carrying the play).

I'd say he's a pretty good #4 guy who happens to 5th best guy on this team, which happens to be a pretty good defense. I think the problem is he doesn't quite fit the makeup of this team. We've got two left side guys who are our two best, and both should be "the guy" on their pairing, while Sami needs to be "the guy" on his. Neither of those two are really optimal partners for him. Stoner's a good fit with him, but offensively will always hold him back, so that certainly doesn't help. IMO he'd be an amazing fit in New York, playing second pairing with Marc Staal. Fairly ideal partner and an ideal situation.

And if he is traded, that's where I hope he goes. There or any other team on the East coast. Not even Detroit or Columbus, I don't want even the possibility of him being in the West, if that happens.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I'd say he's a pretty good #4 guy who happens to 5th best guy on this team, which happens to be a pretty good defense. I think the problem is he doesn't quite fit the makeup of this team. We've got two left side guys who are our two best, and both should be "the guy" on their pairing, while Sami needs to be "the guy" on his. Neither of those two are really optimal partners for him. Stoner's a good fit with him, but offensively will always hold him back, so that certainly doesn't help. IMO he'd be an amazing fit in New York, playing second pairing with Marc Staal. Fairly ideal partner and an ideal situation.

And if he is traded, that's where I hope he goes. There or any other team on the East coast. Not even Detroit or Columbus, I don't want even the possibility of him being in the West, if that happens.

So your hoping if traded it would be to Rangers what then would you want coming back to the Ducks?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So your hoping if traded it would be to Rangers what then would you want coming back to the Ducks?

Obviously first and foremost I would want the best return possible. I'm just saying that, all things being equal, if he ends up being traded, I'm hoping it's to a team as far away as possible. He's a very dynamic talent, and I really don't want to be haunted by him.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Obviously first and foremost I would want the best return possible. I'm just saying that, all things being equal, if he ends up being traded, I'm hoping it's to a team as far away as possible. He's a very dynamic talent, and I really don't want to be haunted by him.

Well of course best possible return. Who would you target from the Rangers to get back? I personally would like Chris Kreider but they already traded away a LW don't see them trading another so I don't really see anyone else from the Rangers that would be a good target.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Both teams are in East now :laugh:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I wonder if the Stewart signing was motivated partially by Lucic now being in L.A. The Ducks don't really have anybody who can play regular shifts (i.e. not a pure goon) that could stand up to Lucic (well, Stone actually could). Stewart is now your guy. In addition, he does have the offensive potential too. Seems like one of the better UFA signings so far.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I wonder if the Stewart signing was motivated partially by Lucic now being in L.A. The Ducks don't really have anybody who can play regular shifts (i.e. not a pure goon) that could stand up to Lucic (well, Stone actually could). Stewart is now your guy. In addition, he does have the offensive potential too. Seems like one of the better UFA signings so far.
I think that's a bit overplayed. There's no deterrent for a guy like that, because he's just a dumbass who can't control himself. But he's not some unstoppable nuclear weapon. Beleskey could have handled the role just as well.

Stewart was brought in to be a cheap Beleskey. To the extent that includes fighting, he'll do that.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I don't think so. It doesn't hurt, but I don't think it's the reason.

For starters, the Ducks already have several guys that can play and aren't pure guys. Getzlaf, Maroon, Despres, and Stoner. Jackman also plays regular shifts while he's in.

Stewart was brought in because Palmieri was traded. Palmieri had the offense for that 3rd line, but a Cogs-Rakell-Palmieri line was too small. This is the primary reason for the signing IMO. Like Bodacious said, he does help regain what physicality left when Beleskey signed in Boston.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
We've definitely have some beasts on our team. A lot of grit/toughness. Anyone listed would be willing to drop the gloves (other than Perry for the most part), though the top 3 of the list are too valuable on the ice and are the least likely to do so. We literally have someone who could/would throw down on every forward and defense line. We are not going to be easy to play against.

Getzlaf
Perry
Kesler
Thompson
Wagner
Maroon
Stewart
Jackman
Wagner? (honestly don't know enough about him but seems to fit the list?)
Despres
Stoner
Bieksa

Edit: Oh and Holzier. And although Thompson may not really fight much, you can throw him onto the list too

Last edited:

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
the list of soft-ish players is much shorter:

Silfverberg
Hagelin
Cogiliano
Sekac
Rakell
Lindholm
Fowler
Vatanen

There's a lot of speed/skill/hard workers here though

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think that's a bit overplayed. There's no deterrent for a guy like that, because he's just a dumbass who can't control himself. But he's not some unstoppable nuclear weapon. Beleskey could have handled the role just as well.

Stewart was brought in to be a cheap Beleskey. To the extent that includes fighting, he'll do that.

Plus I think it's fairly certain our front office wouldn't make a move for that narrow of a purpose, they're trying to put the best team together possible, not match the Kings man for man.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
That list looks more like a list of "guys that won't drop the gloves" but a few of them are the complete opposite of soft, and even most of the others are somewhat physical (or attempt to be).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad