Chris Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
...and now can apparently add another question...what is it that you claim you see that leads you to believe that Kelly is the reason that line isn't producing? (which is sort of funny because that line IS producing...so not sure what people are expecting.)

You know what they say, SoM: If it ain't broke, ***** and complain until someone fixes the **** out of it.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Off topic, but could we please stop using the term "binky"?

Coaches are paid to win. They play guys who will help them win so they can keep their job. Julien isn't playing undeserving players any more than any of us would choose to do something to hurt our own careers. Every season a few underperforming players continue to get ice time and we have to hear they are "binkies", like there aren't several other valid reasons why these players might continue to get the ice time ,and the professional coach hired to dole out ice time might not be a better judge.

Back to the regularly scheduled lineup changes.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Wait, what? The Soderberg-Kelly-Smith line isn't producing?

I mean, I realize Kelly is the current whipping boy, but that's simply false.

Both Soderberg and Smith are scoring at a .67 PPG clip. Kelly is at .29. I don't think I have to point out that each guy is more than doubling Chris Kelly's output. Even the biggest Kelly homers can see the weak link offensively, if they're being honest with themselves. At least I'd hope so, but clearly not based on the nonsensical excuses I keep hearing about how tremendous Kelly has been...:laugh:

Insanity. You can't even call it out the way you see it without all the Kelly fanboys jumping through hoops to defend him. Newsflash for you all. He's SUCKED for two seasons now. He signed a bad contract after coming off a career year and he's never lived up to the deal He's nothing more than a 4th line player at this point. Cold, hard reality for some, but true.

member 96824

Wait, what? The Soderberg-Kelly-Smith line isn't producing?

I mean, I realize Kelly is the current whipping boy, but that's simply false.

Remember in school...when 2 kids in the group would do all the work, and all 3 would get an A?

member 96824

Both Soderberg and Smith are scoring at a .67 PPG clip. Kelly is at .29. I don't think I have to point out that each guy is more than doubling Chris Kelly's output. Even the biggest Kelly homers can see the weak link offensively, if they're being honest with themselves. At least I'd hope so, but clearly not based on the nonsensical excuses I keep hearing about how tremendous Kelly has been...:laugh:

Insanity. You can't even call it out the way you see it without all the Kelly fanboys jumping through hoops to defend him. Newsflash for you all. He's SUCKED for two seasons now. He signed a bad contract after coming off a career year and he's never lived up to the deal He's nothing more than a 4th line player at this point. Cold, hard reality for some, but true.

He's better than last year though...he's almost surpassed his entire point total, playoffs and all:naughty:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's better than last year though...he's almost surpassed his entire point total, playoffs and all:naughty:

Yes he is. .26 to .29. I'm sure that has SoM, Arty, and some other defenders are out celebrating, but I will pass. He needs to be moved down. End of story. :laugh:

I mean, what do you call a guy who normally scores at just under a .40 PPG clip when he suddenly he starts putting up .26 and .29 PPG? Is that not concerning to people? Can they not see the trend? It's like I called their baby ugly or something. They guy is in the midst of a 2 season drop off in his production. Nothing fake about that. Nothing personal. Just reality.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Remember in school...when 2 kids in the group would do all the work, and all 3 would get an A?

This is exactly right. That line is being held down. If they're producing at that rate with Kelly, imagine how truly effective they could be with a player on par with them offensively.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
This is exactly right. That line is being held down. If they're producing at that rate with Kelly, imagine how truly effective they could be with a player on par with them offensively.

So an hour ago the line's not producing, and now it is producing but not at a rate which is acceptable to you (which you still can't seem to be able to define).

Which is it, man? Do I wanna come back and have you bringing a third supposition to the table without even addressing the first two?

Holy ****, Lonnie, talk about the mother of moving goalposts.

I actually thought I'd get a concrete, reasonable back and forth with you since you bumped this thread with such vengeance and fury, but it looks like not only do you wanna avoid answering any questions that wanna frame the argument, you wanna change the argument altogether.

Pretty much says all I need to know about what you're gonna bring to this topic now and in the future. Woof. Brutal stuff.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
You know what they say, SoM: If it ain't broke, ***** and complain until someone fixes the **** out of it.

The Kelly line isn't producing.

The Kelly line is producing, but not as much as we want.

Kelly's dragging the line down and making it unproductive.

Kelly's dragging the line down not making it as productive as it could be....but we can't define what exactly he's doing that makes it unproductive, although it is being productive......

Kelly's contract sucks!

It's the most bassackwards, circumvented logic I've seen in a while. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So an hour ago the line's not producing, and now it is producing but not at a rate which is acceptable to you (which you still can't seem to be able to define).

Which is it, man? Do I wanna come back and have you bringing a third supposition to the table without even addressing the first two?

Holy ****, Lonnie, talk about the mother of moving goalposts.

I actually thought I'd get a concrete, reasonable back and forth with you since you bumped this thread with such vengeance and fury, but it looks like not only do you wanna avoid answering any questions that wanna frame the argument, you wanna change the argument altogether.

Pretty much says all I need to know about what you're gonna bring to this topic now and in the future. Woof. Brutal stuff.

Matt, this has always been about Kelly pulling that line down. Don't try to cloud the subject because your argument is weak. Two thirds of that line are producing. One isn't. I've shown you the numbers, it's not my issue if you fail to believe. He's been bad for two years now. Even compared to his usual out put. Even if you added in the last two years to his PPG, that's still .38. Is that not significantly higher than the .26 from last year or the .29 from this one? The numbers show he's dropped off. Watching him, you can see even his defense is starting to slip. I've given you all the numbers but you're so far into it, you can't accept it even though (to borrow a phrase from you) it's concrete proof.

For the record, I bumped this because he made 3 monumentally bad defensive plays in the last 30 seconds of a game, and it ultimately cost them the win in regulation, and gave one of their toughest opponents a gift point that they didn't dserve. So I thought it was relevant, especially since his defenders keep talking about how great he is on defense.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Kelly line isn't producing.

The Kelly line is producing, but not as much as we want.

Kelly's dragging the line down and making it unproductive.

Kelly's dragging the line down not making it as productive as it could be....but we can't define what exactly he's doing that makes it unproductive, although it is being productive......

Kelly's contract sucks!

It's the most bassackwards, circumvented logic I've seen in a while. :laugh:

I've shown you the numbers. Maybe you can tell me how his production being less than half of what his linemates are means Kelly is producing? No need to be passive aggressive and respond to another poster when you're really directing that to me. I still love you like a perverted brother from another mother, but you're flat out wrong here. Kelly's game has been off for two season now. Even compared to his time that predates his days in Boston. It's okay. It's just reality. :naughty:

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
I know Kelly does a lot more for the team than score. But consider the following:

Points per minute of ice time since start of 2012-13 season and including playoffs.

Sean Thornton 0.0195

Chris Kelly 0.0156

In other words, Thornton has averaged one point for every 51 minutes of ice time, and Kelly one point for every 64 minutes. The sample is not small, and in Kelly's case covers 80 games. Over that span Kelly has the grand total of 8 goals and 11 assists. Those are 4th line numbers playing on the 3rd line. His lack of production is troubling.

member 96824

I know Kelly does a lot more for the team than score. But consider the following:

Points per minute of ice time since start of 2012-13 season and including playoffs.

Sean Thornton 0.0195

Chris Kelly 0.0156

In other words, Thornton has averaged one point for every 51 minutes of ice time, and Kelly one point for every 64 minutes. The sample is not small, and in Kelly's case covers 80 games. Over that span Kelly has the grand total of 8 goals and 11 assists. Those are 4th line numbers playing on the 3rd line. His lack of production is troubling.

Not fair...you're not counting Kelly's specialty. The shootout :naughty:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

And so true. He is better than last season, which isn't saying much. 4th liner now is right, and much overpaid plus the NTC. Was a horrible contract to give him, but while he is here hopefully he continues to give his all, what little that is. Ideally next season he is gone. Ideally this season, a trade deadline acquisition bumps him down to where he belongs on the 4th and we become even deeper than before.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
You're spoiled if you think these games are boring, and it's silly to blame Claude's system. Some of the most exciting and entertaining Bruins games I've ever seen have occurred over the past few years, with Claude behind the bench.

As far as not generating offense, I disagree with you (when it comes our current team). We're ranked 10th in the league for goals per game and we're ranked 1st for goals against per game. I'll take that.

Your underestimating how good this team really is... PC did this. ..Does Claude's system work ? Yes never said it didn't ..it would also work if he was coaching a less skilled team. I'm saying let the reins off the team more often so they can think offensively a bit more, basically everyone should know what's expected he's been here long enough.

GAA per game you can thank Tuukka

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Just a quick point, not all 5 skaters get a point when a goal is scored but they may all contribute, via creating space, or crashing the net, the first pass in a 3+ pass play, the break out pass, stick lift to create a turnover, hit on the forecheck to allow a teamate to create a score, screen the goalie, ect.

Whether Kelly has been a factor in non point worthy plays is debatable.

His defence and PK is always great, not last night on Crosby's goal but on par that was a rare bad shift.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
This team is doing well, the line is producing. I don't see why people care how much he makes. There is something to be said for chemistry.
"Think if we got a guy who produces more!" That's not how teams work in reality. We should all know this.

Obviously Chia and CJ like Kelly and value him highly. I don't understand why he is an issue. If next year it is time to cut ties, then fine. But right now I don't see the problem.

member 96824

Just a quick point, not all 5 skaters get a point when a goal is scored but they may all contribute, via creating space, or crashing the net, the first pass in a 3+ pass play, the break out pass, stick lift to create a turnover, hit on the forecheck to allow a teamate to create a score, screen the goalie, ect.

Whether Kelly has been a factor in non point worthy plays is debatable.

His defence and PK is always great, not last night on Crosby's goal but on par that was a rare bad shift.

I don't like +/- normally, but doesn't his Meer +1 rating kind of shut this theory down if he playing great D and on the ice when they are scoring, contributing to the play but just not getting a point?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
This team is doing well, the line is producing. I don't see why people care how much he makes. There is something to be said for chemistry.
"Think if we got a guy who produces more!" That's not how teams work in reality. We should all know this.

Obviously Chia and CJ like Kelly and value him highly. I don't understand why he is an issue. If next year it is time to cut ties, then fine. But right now I don't see the problem.

Come on now, we all know Kelly is worthless and has nothing to do with the success of his line - it's blatantly obvious he's just out there skating in aimless circles while Soderberg and Smith do all the work - and he makes no contributions whatsoever on the PK, and he doesn't wear the A for any kind of leadership, because we all know that stuff is irrelevant and unimportant. He's just Clode and Chia's binky, because they don't know anything about what makes a winning hockey team, unlike HF board posters. If only they'd listen to us, the Bruins might actually be a good team.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

Sean Thornton 0.0195

Chris Kelly 0.0156

Wow.

I knew it was bad ---I didn't think it was *that* bad.

:facepalm::baghead:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

Guy plays 13 minutes a night and starts more of his even strength shifts in the defensive zone than anybody in the Bruins. Claude clearly think he's contributing (which he is). His offense isn't good and he's overpaid, still not a bad third line centre or a bad guy to have overall. I would still consider amnestying him at the end of the year or trading him.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
He's a decent 3C I'm just upset Chiarelli overpaid after a contract year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad