Chris Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Figured it was time to make a thread on this board's favorite compliance buyout candidate.

Top Reasons to keep Chris Kelly:

1. Unique Skillset:

Will give you 12+ goals per season in a checking role
#2 PKer on team. Is on 1st unit with Patrice Bergeron
Only Bruin who can successfully play all 3 forward positions up and down the lineup
Solid at the faceoff dot. Maintains a FO% of 50 or better throughout the season.

2. Leadership:

Alternate Captain in Boston since 2011.
Alternate Captain in Ottawa when injuries arose
2 Seasons as Captain in Binghamton (AHL)

3. Experience:

10 years in NHL - Drafted 94th (4th round) overall in 1999
3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances – 2007 (Ottawa, L in 5 games), 2011 (Boston, W in 7 games), 2013 (Boston, L in 6 games).
5 years in OHL
3 Years in AHL

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Reason they likely won't be able to keep Kelly around: $3 million dollar per season cap hit.

Don't get me wrong ... Love Kelly as a player, but his cap hit and cap hit alone will sink him as a Bruin.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Outside of exhibition, how much RW has Kelly played? He'd still be second to Bergeron in the "play any position" category.

Anyway, to the real point; Kelly would only be a cap casualty. He's a very valuable roster player. Even his contract would be 100 percent fine if the cap didn't go down.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I'm just glad the OP is a fellow Kelly loyalist.

The few, the proud.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'd be surprised if kelly gets bought out. Less surprised if kelly gets traded. Spooner is in the bruins long term plan, he can't be help in the A forever.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
If you're one of those folks that thinks a hockey team should be compiled completely with guys that fill up the stat sheet in the offensive categories like you're compiling an All-Star team or a fantasy hockey team (aside from the select few that somehow has Chris Kelly on their fantasy team), then Chris Kelly is an easy target for a compliance buyout....somehow regardless of all reports that the cap will go up next year.

If you're one of those folks that values a player who can put up some points, but also plays a strong defensive game, is versatile, anchors a currently productive third line in a system that wants balanced scoring lines (that also has two wingers new to the system who appear to be doing well in their transition), is successful in all the things fantasy hockey doesn't measure and casual fans don't notice, and provides all those other intangibles that a team like the Bruins appears to value, then you think the idea of buying out that contract is nuts.

But yeah.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Would take Peverley over Kelly 100 times and again.
I would too. I was hoping Pevs would stay over Kelly but I'm not surprised it happened this way. I like Kelly and love what he brings to this team but you would have to think his time here is limited with Spooner brewing in the system.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Kelly is pretty damn tough, too. He's not afraid to throw hits, block shots, and drop em. He's definitely not the 20 goal guy from two years back, but still-he's a jack-of-all-trades type of 3/4 line center-man that Clode can rely on.

If only he was a righty..

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Figured it was time to make a thread on this board's favorite compliance buyout candidate.

Top Reasons to keep Chris Kelly:

1. Unique Skillset:

Will give you 12+ goals per season in a checking role
#2 PKer on team. Is on 1st unit with Patrice Bergeron
Only Bruin who can successfully play all 3 forward positions up and down the lineup
Solid at the faceoff dot. Maintains a FO% of 50 or better throughout the season.

2. Leadership:

Alternate Captain in Boston since 2011.
Alternate Captain in Ottawa when injuries arose
2 Seasons as Captain in Binghamton (AHL)

3. Experience:

10 years in NHL - Drafted 94th (4th round) overall in 1999
3 Stanley Cup Finals appearances – 2007 (Ottawa, L in 5 games), 2011 (Boston, W in 7 games), 2013 (Boston, L in 6 games).
5 years in OHL
3 Years in AHL

Happy to see this was a positive thread. Lately everytime I see a new "player discussion" thread I expect it to be negative.

But then I saw it was Alicat who posted the thread so it gave me faith.:)

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Chia and his brain trust would respectfully disagree

Kelly has a full NTC, probably helped in that decision making process haha

Especially after Kelly had such a bad season I doubt there were a lot of takers. Oh well, glad he has turned it around a little this year

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
he's ok. way overpaid, the NTC is ridiculous. i personally find guys like kelly to be a dime-a-dozen guy and fairly easy to replace for less money.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Kelly has a full NTC, probably helped in that decision making process haha

Especially after Kelly had such a bad season I doubt there were a lot of takers. Oh well, glad he has turned it around a little this year

Pevs had a limited NTC as well. Had to submit 8 teams he would accept a trade to. (15 for this season) Dallas was not on that list. He waived haha

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
he's ok. way overpaid, the NTC is ridiculous. i personally find guys like kelly to be a dime-a-dozen guy and fairly easy to replace for less money.

I'm on this boat. He doesn't put up many points and he hasn't even been playing that well defensively compared to his usual self. But I'm sure most people will disagree because that always happens with people like Kelly.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Hopefully, we win the Cup this year so Kelly's time on Boston end on a good note.

This is his last season in Boston. Time to find a new favorite Alycat...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
If you're one of those folks that thinks a hockey team should be compiled completely with guys that fill up the stat sheet in the offensive categories like you're compiling an All-Star team or a fantasy hockey team (aside from the select few that somehow has Chris Kelly on their fantasy team), then Chris Kelly is an easy target for a compliance buyout....somehow regardless of all reports that the cap will go up next year.

If you're one of those folks that values a player who can put up some points, but also plays a strong defensive game, is versatile, anchors a currently productive third line in a system that wants balanced scoring lines (that also has two wingers new to the system who appear to be doing well in their transition), is successful in all the things fantasy hockey doesn't measure and casual fans don't notice, and provides all those other intangibles that a team like the Bruins appears to value, then you think the idea of buying out that contract is nuts.

But yeah.

Well said.

Chiarelli likes Kelly. Julien likes Kelly. Fans who don't like Kelly can't seem to fathom that coaches and GMs value players like him. He has a NTC and wears the A for a reason.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Glad some people in here are capable of having an actual discussion.

He's here for a reason and I hope he makes people eat massive amounts of crow in June.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's the last player I'd make a player discussion thread on right now. He's simply playing to expectations. Nothing more, nothing less.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Well said.

Chiarelli likes Kelly. Julien likes Kelly. Fans who don't like Kelly can't seem to fathom that coaches and GMs value players like him. He has a NTC and wears the A for a reason.

I like Kelly, it's also fair to like Kelly, like the player who should have moved him down or out more. It's also fair to like Kelly and hate his contract in the current cap environment, and hate that the team handed him a NTC along with that same contract.

As far for eating crow, he had that opportunity last June and blew it miserably.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I like his line right now. I wouldn't want that third line without him this season. He's a three-zone conscience that helps Smith and Soderberg do their thing. I don't think that 20 goals is above him either.

Thing is, if he doesn't come close to that or that pace, I find it difficult to justify his place over Spooner come this time next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad