Rumor: Chris Johnson & Elliott Friedman's "big name or big promise" mystery player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Journalism is dead. All the reporters are terrified of pissing off the coaches or GM's of the team because they won't be friendly and give them access if that happens. They want to be their friend. No hard hitting questions. The only guy who does actually ask hard questions is Steve Simmons who gets torched by all the younger generations for being a loud old boomer that likes ancient hockey principles like hitting and toughness.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Dubas deserves critiscm for the teams failures. He's 0 for 3 in his years here. Some criticism are exaggerated and unfair but he deserves to be on the hot seat like Babcock was heading into the 2019 year

This thread also serves as a place for the dube fans to pretend he's going to make a team changing move that will fix all the problems we have
Not till he trades a core player

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why everyone getting all excited
We all know who the player is going to be Mikael Grunlund

5'10, high iq and Scandanivian

Reactions: theTTC

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Marner is the better talent. I'm not debating that. Nylander is the better bang for buck contract. I'd rather Nylander and 4 million shopping money. I think Dubas' runs it back again though. I think they get one last try coming up here. However, there's never been a better time to make a splash, with Jack Eichel, Matthew Tkachuk, Seth Jones, Evander Kane all looking for new homes
I'm steal waiting for Tannenbaum to come out of his raptors induced coma and look for a scapegoat

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't claim to know hockey, but when TOR went out the way they did what other reaction can you expect? Fan is short for fanatic. It's a very emotional response anyway you cut it.

In the bigger picture TOR looks pretty good with their defence, stars, goaltending, etc. But on the other hand the cap is a major issue, time is limited (3 more seasons with Matthews), and they can't even win a playoff round.

I think many fans have reached a tipping point.

I agree, which supports my post, if one is acting fanatical , it would suggest that one has thrown out reason and common sense. I get people are passionate, I get that people are angry, hurt, disappointed, reactionary but their emotional state does not trump logic and common sense. I've seen some pretty stupid trade proposals where a top 4 scorer is treaded for some 3rd line tweeners, thinking this team is better with two guy's making 5 mil for one guy making 10.9 mil.

I don't think Dubas has the stones to do what it takes to make this team better, I don't think Keefe has the experience or the ability to coach this team to a SC win. I'm concerned that Dubas fixed the obvious while not doing a deep dive into what it takes to build a cup challenger. Adding some past their prime vets, trying them out in the top 6 to see what he had, concerns me. You should be able to see what they were last year, you don't need to give them an audition. They are not going to all of a sudden catch fire and be the guys they were 10 years ago. If it were not for JC playing like a Veznia candidate for parts of the season, what would our season have looked like? What if AM was injured half way through, what does this team look like with out his 41 goals? I get that I'm playing "what if" but the point is this team is built like a house of cards. I can see all this but yet I don't suggest we dump our highest score for a bag of used pucks, you can be a fan and still be logical ;)

Reactions: geo25

reboundscore

Apr 24, 2013
Alex Nylander checks all the boxes for the rumour? Big “name” that would get Leaf fans excited. Chicago didn’t make the playoffs (Yes I’m aware he didn’t play at all last year)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Alex Nylander checks all the boxes for the rumour? Big “name” that would get Leaf fans excited. Chicago didn’t make the playoffs (Yes I’m aware he didn’t play at all last year)
Not really. He is an RFA ( so no multiple years on the contract) He is not that significant as a player and he won't change the attitude. He might have some promise though.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I think TOR needs some change. They treated their last 3 playoff games like a regular season game. If they could have just ramped up their intensity...
The bottom six has too many passengers and is very similar to the top six with no true grit or ability to change a game.
The bottom 6 just waited for M&M to make something happen and the coach did nothing to change that.
Hyman should have been moved to the third line in game six and Speeza moved up.
Hyman-Soup-Engvall should have been a line from the beginning!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The bottom six has too many passengers and is very similar to the top six with no true grit or ability to change a game.
The bottom 6 just waited for M&M to make something happen and the coach did nothing to change that.
Hyman should have been moved to the third line in game six and Speeza moved up.
Hyman-Soup-Engvall should have been a line from the beginning!

Agreed. Keefe had things at his disposal. He could have put anyone (Robertson, Brooks, etc.) On the top line! Even your suggestion of Spezza. Instead Keefe maxed out M and M (perhaps a stupid anti-Babcock reaction?), kept the struggling Hyman on the top line, and put Thorton (who could barely skate) in so many key situations.

Toronto looked like a deep team on paper before the playoffs, but they turned out to be a house of cards. Especially when Keefe has players at his disposal, and never uses them.

Reactions: Duffman955

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
If we're smart we trade Riley and a pick or two for resigned Dougie Hamilton

I'm not against a Dougie Hamilton, or a Seth Jones, but you're essentially getting the same player as Rielly, while paying a higher price. Over the last 5 years:

NameBirth
Year
Games
Played
Total
Strength
Play Points
PPP/
Hits
Doug
Hamilton
Morgan
Rielly
Seth Jones94340203141584.534423
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
While there is a noticeable difference between Hamilton and Jones compared to Rielly in the 'hits' department, over the course of 5 seasons this works out to an average of about 0.5 hits more per game. The other numbers suggest they are very similar players. I'd be happy with any of them, but most happy with the one who has the lowest cap hit.

Edit: I would never throw in a pick or two for the difference in their abilities.

Reactions: Duffman955

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Journalism is dead. All the reporters are terrified of pissing off the coaches or GM's of the team because they won't be friendly and give them access if that happens. They want to be their friend. No hard hitting questions. The only guy who does actually ask hard questions is Steve Simmons who gets torched by all the younger generations for being a loud old boomer that likes ancient hockey principles like hitting and toughness.

Lol what you're describing as dead was never "journalism." Hurling "hardball" questions at captive subjects that are contractually forced to give you the time of day was always nonsense. You want the scoop? Cultivate sources. Players don't owe journo's anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad