Rumor: Chris Johnson & Elliott Friedman's "big name or big promise" mystery player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Anything is possible but there has been a notable decline with Jones the last 2 years. Think how Phaneuf came to the leafs. That could happen too.
I was so excited when the Leafs traded for Phaneuf. He really declined after the Achilles cut, but I thought the press gave him a rough time here.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not as a trade though. Perhaps as a league minimum year long UFA contract. This thread is about a trade.

As I have mentioned before, your ability to discern sarcasm and humor needs a great deal of work.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
or maybe its Morgan Reilly and one of our many grab bag pieces to the Flames for Chuckie ?

No law against dreaming is there ?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Gross I think I'd stop watching hockey if that went down

Marner deserves to be shitted on but he is still a game breaking player.

Tarasenko is 5 years older has damaged shoulders and is a 65 point player when healthy

Dunn is what Sandin projects to become and we are deep at LHD with Rielly, Muzzin, Sandin, Dermott still there

If we are dealing Marner to blues I'd want

Perron+ Robert Thomas/Kyrou + 2022 unprotected 1st

Still waiting for this "game breaking player" to show up in the playoffs.

Reactions: jackeymoon

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It is likely Jones .. Dubie had tons of discussions with CLB putting together Foligno trade .. who knows maybe it is Jones for Rielly straight up .. gives us a better defensive presence and a PP shot .. CAPs same .. gives CLB a more offensive guy to spark their offense .. mybe it works perfect for both teams
Jones is criminally underrated in here by some (many?). He's one of the better and more rounded defenders in the league. He was pretty effective against us in the playoffs.

I'd love a straight swap, but if its a Jones for Reilly swap, I think we add something to make that happen. Otherwise, I think the Jackets look at the other many options that they will undoubtedly have. It's jmho & it's probably too realistic & won't be a popular one.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think both guys have 1 year left to serve .. I was really thinking more than anything else about getting a PP shot threat .. but I have no idea what they are gonna do with their PP .. but it needs MASSIVE changes

You do realize that even if we get a guy with a canon from the point on the PP that they will neuter him by telling him the chances of a wrister getting through is 1.9% higher according to their data.

How many players come here with traits that we covet only to be told to conform to the Kumbaya play school and negate those traits? Does anyone remember the first few months of Muzzin and his hitting guys compared to now? Big difference...what happened?

Dubas probably took him aside and told him that "hitting other teams will cause them to hit us and we don't roll like that."

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You do realize that even if we get a guy with a canon from the point on the PP that they will neuter him by telling him the chances of a wrister getting through is 1.9% higher according to their data.

How many players come here with traits that we covet only to be told to conform to the Kumbaya play school and negate those traits? Does anyone remember the first few months of Muzzin and his hitting guys compared to now? Big difference...what happened?

Dubas probably took him aside and told him that "hitting other teams will cause them to hit us and we don't roll like that."
I hope we get Matty, Willy and Jones as 3 shooting threats which would make us difficult to stop .. put Wayner in front of net for screens and then let Mitch to chase down loose pucks and retrieve them in a creative way like he does .. we gotta get rid of that stupid Mitch bringing it down and passing play as everyone knows you stop da Matty feed and we are dead

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
We’re getting no big trade, missing the playoffs and Reilly walking at the end of the year. Then everyone will be fired and Dubas will still stand by the core 4.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think both guys have 1 year left to serve .. I was really thinking more than anything else about getting a PP shot threat .. but I have no idea what they are gonna do with their PP .. but it needs MASSIVE changes
Yes, , I think it would be great to get Jones, but in the context of the thread clear criteria were given for the rumored player. I have not criticism of Jones coming to the Leafs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I just hate Friedman so much.

This whole thing is such a scam.

The vague comments keep piling up.

At this point on the calendar, what are you hoping he says?

He's really covering all of his bases to make sure that he can revert back to saying that he was right. Both him and Chris Johnston had mentioned that they see the top 4 forwards coming back next season when the Leafs were first eliminated. But as the off-season rolls along, names like Duncan Keith, Viktor Arvidsson, Jack Eichel and Seth Jones are on the move or have been moved. So maybe there are things that happen that he didn't expect would happen so soon. And there's always the trickle down effect of teams missing out on player X and then looking to get option B.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
At this point on the calendar, what are you hoping he says?

He's really covering all of his bases to make sure that he can revert back to saying that he was right. Both him and Chris Johnston had mentioned that they see the top 4 forwards coming back next season when the Leafs were first eliminated. But as the off-season rolls along, names like Duncan Keith, Viktor Arvidsson, Jack Eichel and Seth Jones are on the move or have been moved. So maybe there are things that happen that he didn't expect would happen so soon. And there's always the trickle down effect of teams missing out on player X and then looking to get option B.

A Few Good Men:

"I want the truth!"

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020

Derozan was the leading scorer on the team and the 1B player on the team, trading Marner would fit for something like that, but they've already said they wouldn't do that. So yeah, this a scam.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

They're looking for the best player available that they can find.

Isn't that what every GM in the league is doing? Isn't that pretty high up a GM's todo list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad